Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Pumpkin Pasta Sauce

Recipe courtesy of my local Trader Joe's.

We tried a sample of this while grocery shopping today, and were instantly hooked, as were all the other people around us sampling the food while oohing and aahing. 


Ingredients



1 medium onion, chopped
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp olive oil
1 small box (about 30 leaves) fresh sage
4 tbsp fresh chopped rosemary (or about 1 tbsp dried and crushed)
2 cans pumpkin
1 cup grated parmesan
2 cups heavy cream
salt
pepper

Directions

1. Sautee garlic, onion, sage, and rosemary in olive oil over medium heat.
2. Add pumpkin, cream, and cheese. Heat thoroughly.
3. Add salt and pepper to taste.
4. Serve over pasta and top with more grated parmesan. Enjoy!

This makes enough for 2 lbs of pasta, i.e. it feeds our whole family for a family dinner, with leftover to spare for lunch the next day. You may want to cut this recipe by half if you do not like leftovers, or don't have as many mouths to feed. Adding some cooked chicken breast or sliced Italian sausage would be a nice touch, but is absolutely not necessary - the dish is very satisfying as is. 




Later this week (hopefully): my family's absolutely favorite #1 Christmas cookie. Yes, it's that time of year already! (I think)

In reality, I was just looking for an excuse to share this picture of my very handsome son with you all.

12 comments:

  1. Doesn't sound like something any of us would like....but it looks soooo delicious, so I think I will try it and not tell anyone that it's pumpkin... :) Will let you know as soon as we've tried it out!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Size of the can of pumpkin? The small one, right?

    Can't wait to try!!! :)

    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if it would turn out well using Winter Squash? My in-laws get tons of it and I use it to make pies (they turn out just like pumpkin pie). I also cook it and we eat it, but this sounds like something new and fun. Thanks for the recipe:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm making this tomorrow. Thanks for posting the recipe. It looks great !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait to make this tomorrow, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love all things pumpkin, can't wait to try this - thanks for recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Never heard of pumpkin with anything like pasta, but I will try it. I am looking for some new meal ideas that are not the same old, same old. I have lots of the same kind of canned pumpkin right now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds delicious! I LOVE pasta...especially with a creamy sauce! That is why my bathroom scales groan whenever I get on them! Ha...can't wait to try this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have had butternut squash pasta sauce before and it was sooo yummy. This probably tastes pretty similar! Thanks for sharing!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really need to try this recipe. I have never cooked with Pumpkin before.

    I recently discovered a blog that I am sure your husband will "love", considering his pet peeve "gender confusion". The blog is about a mother and her very confused little boy: http://www.myprincessboy.com

    I think the title says it all ... :-)))

    ReplyDelete
  11. You and Pastor A. might be interested in this documentary: blessingsmissed.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the recipe! I was pleasantly surprised. This didn't taste too much like pumpkin, and my husband enjoyed it (I thought the pumpkin might be a little much for him, but he didn't even realize it was there). It's also really filling! Yum!

    ReplyDelete

Your KINDLY WORDED, constructive comments are welcome, whether or not they express a differing opinion. All others will be deleted without second thought.