Monday, April 29, 2019

What we eat and spend on food in a month - Week 2 of 4

Week 1 here

I typically have a routine of getting most of my grocery shopping for the week done on Monday, with pit stops later in the week if necessary. I like to avoid leaving the house to run errands as much as possible. More trips to the store = more money spent, not to mention time wasted. This week, I went to the store even less than usual, due to ingredients left from the previous week, and just generally not wanting to make more shopping runs. 
Here is what we ate during the week of Apr. 22-28 (lots of carry-over from the previous week due to extra leftovers that week):

Breakfasts
Mon - leftovers (cinnamon rolls, scones)
Tue - Apple Walnut granola on yogurt w/ fresh strawberries
Wed - Poached eggs on avocado toast, banana milk
Thu - French Toast Bake w/ maple syrup
Fri - Chocolate Oatmeal
Sat - Puff Oven Pancake with jam
Sun - Buttermilk Pancakes with fresh berries

Dinners 
(I cook double and serve the leftovers for lunch the following day)

Mon - Easter dinner (ham and the usual sides)
Tue - Brioche bread sandwiches
Wed - Steaks, mashed potatoes, green beans
Thu - Mac & Cheese
Fri - Molasses oat bread sandwiches
Sat - leftover mac and cheese
Sun - Mongolian BBQ

Other
  Cinnamon walnut ice cream
Mayonnaise
Chicken broth
strawberry kombucha
Brioche dinner rolls
Brioche bread
molasses oat bread




Monday: Costco - $86.68

(ciabatta rolls, 2 pints blackberries, 2 pints raspberries, 4 lbs strawberries, 2 loaves sourdough bread, tortilla chips, 4 dozen eggs, 10 lbs bananas, 4 lbs baby carrots, 1 watermelon [the organic ones are finally in season - YAY!!!!], 1 pineapple, 10 lbs tangerines, 2 lbs string cheese)



Tuesday (delivered): Dairy - $40

3 gallons milk, 2 quarts cream. We typically go through 5 gallons of milk of milk each week, but my husband has been drinking less than usual so there was some left from the previous week.



Wednesday: Trader Joe's - $16.85

6 lbs onions, 4 bottles ginger ale (Boaz was feeling sick that day), 1 bag powdered sugar, 1 bag turbinado sugar (I use it in place of brown)



Sunday: Whole Foods and Sprouts - $28.54

There were originally two pints of blackberries, twice as many apples, and 5 bags of grapes. By the time I went to take a picture in the evening, they had disappeared. Also 2 bags of PB Chocolate Love Crunch granola that I forgot to include in the picture. 


Total spent for the week: $172.07

My target grocery budget is $500 per week. So while week 1 was almost $100 over, this week I was considerably under by using freezer/fridge/pantry staples rather than going to the store, and serving simpler meals of sandwiches for dinner.

I am currently working on another cookbook - "The Everyday Einkorn Baking Book". In the process, I am experimenting with a lot of recipes, so there is a lot of bread to consume in the process. My family doesn't mind - they call it "German dinner" when I serve platters of cold cuts, cheeses, veggies, and hardboiled eggs alongside freshly baked bread. Works for me!


And some pictures of our meals:




 Easter dinner - ham, mashed potatoes, scalloped potatoes, green bean casserole, peas and carrots, Hawaiian rolls. We had the Easter dinner the day after Easter


Puff oven pancake



Buttermilk Pancakes



Brioche dinner rolls

9 comments:

  1. I love your blog Zsu. I aspire to have a family like yours and appreciate every single thing you post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you tried overnight oats yet? We love oatmeal but during the summer months having it cold is such a treat!

    I'm reading all your recent posts and all that you have going on, and find myself wondering "when does she sleep?!"

    What a blessing you are to your family!

    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing this post. I continue to learn as I go along.
    God bless,
    d

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ms. Anderson do you make your own pancakes? I always do! Of course I usually wind up sharing them with friends or freezing half of them since I live alone. Forgive me please if you've already answered this in one of your posts: do any of your teenage children cook? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually by "making your own pancakes" I meant "Do you make them from scratch versus from a mix?" :)

      Delete
  5. Ohhh, what a waste. All that plastic wrapping! Nice and all you are doing organic foods. But isn't there a way to be a bit more gentle to your eniviroment and choose better options than plastic wrapping?! I'm realy shocked seeing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What about reusable plastic containers? In my office I often "rescue" plastic bottles from the regular garbage, rinse them out, and place them in the recycle containers.

      Delete
  6. This was awesome. Thank you so much for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so impressed by how you feed your family. I need to read and absorb all your information lol. I have one child my husband and myself and we com no where near to your skills. thanks fo sharing and teaching us young families how to start of right.

    ReplyDelete

Your KINDLY WORDED, constructive comments are welcome, whether or not they express a differing opinion. All others will be deleted without second thought.