Monday, January 4, 2010

Natural Foods Co-op

About six months ago, our family switched to buying 100% organic foods. I buy our produce through a local co-op, our range-fed meat from a rancher in a small town nearby, and our milk from a small organic dairy on the outskirts of the city. I make most of our dairy products myself from this pasture-fed, raw milk. I also make all of our bread products and baked goods myself from organic whole grains that I mill freshly.

For all other things, I used to shop at stores like Whole Foods and Trader Joe's, which can be pricey. Several months ago, I discovered Azure Standard, a natural foods co-op based in Oregon. They deliver to almost half of the states.


Their prices on many items, especially if purchased in bulk, are much less than what I would pay at health food stores in town, and many times even cheaper than conventional foods at a regular grocery store. You can either tag your order onto an already existing drop point, or set up your own drop point along one of their routes as long as the combined total from all people who order from your drop point is at least $550.

At first, my orders were delivered to a drop point nearby, but I have since started my own with about 8 other members so far. This makes it even easier for me because it is a lot less work than going grocery shopping all the time with five kids in tow. There are no financial benefits or commissions for being a drop point manager, but the added convenience is more than enough.

If you have been thinking about switching to organic foods and you live in the delivery area, you may wish to check out their website. (You will need to get a customer number in order to view their prices.)

7 comments:

  1. I've been wanting to look into that..I would like to buy everything organic. I'm also trying to get away from canned soups, and looking at recipes to make my own cream of mushroom soup.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found a site online that delivers to my house. I'm going to start getting the local produce box, and eventually buy everything else organic also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am very glad to see that you get your meat from an actual rancher! I read a book called "Eating Animals" that really opened my eyes on factory farm animals and what unhealthy conditions they are raised in, as well as the hormones they are pumped full of. I wish more people would be as health-conscious as you!

    God Bless,
    Stellar

    ReplyDelete
  4. I live in the UK and switched to organic also. I found a local food co-operative and was stunned at the prices, the vast majority of items are cheaper than conventional items from the supermarket. We are also safe knowing that we are buying ethically traded food from a company which supports local producers and generates minimal waste. I would recommend people anywhere in the world to look for similar shops. The difference is the taste of the food is just out of this world, we'll never go back to the big supermarkets now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I live in Mesa. May I ask where you buy your free range meats and that dairy farm on the outskirts of town is where? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi,

    Do you drink raw milk while pregnant or breast feeding? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Your KINDLY WORDED, constructive comments are welcome, whether or not they express a differing opinion. All others will be deleted without second thought.