Saturday, October 3, 2009

Calling all bread lovers

You do not have to be a bread baker to appreciate a good loaf of fresh, artisan bread. But if you are, you could save some serious "dough" by making it yourself. Then again, who has the time and inclination to any more these days, right?

In comes this book, which I read about in an all-natural type magazine a few weeks ago and then checked out from the local library:


Just as the title suggests, you can learn how to make artisan bread in mere minutes. The book explains how to mix a big batch of rather moist dough without kneading or raising it, which is then kept in the refrigerator and baked into individual loaves whenever you want to. It really works, and tastes wonderful.

Here is a picture of a loaf I made this week - it was gone before it ever even cooled down completely.


The only downside is that the book uses mostly white flour (which produces a crunchier crust than whole grains that contain more plant oils), but the authors are releasing their new book, Healthy Bread in Five Minutes a Day, on October 27th. Maybe my husband will read this and get it for me for Christmas.


And speaking of Christmas, I would also really like it if he built a bread oven in the backyard. Just saying...

3 comments:

  1. I love this book! My daughter gave it to me for Christmas last year (along with a big jar of yeast!), and I have had one or two containers of dough in my fridge ever since! I often substitute whole grain flour, and it works great. I look forward to the new book- I might just have to drop a big hint to Allison(my daughter).
    Blessings-
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always enjoy your posts on cooking and other homemaking activities! We disagree on a number of things but I always look forward to these types of entries and you do have a lovely style of writing.

    Just yesterday I made homemade bagels for the first time. My husband was telling me last week how cereal just isn't enough for him so he was going to start buying bagels more often. Since we are trying to cut costs here and there I decided to give bagels a try. They turned out delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does work okay with wholemeal flour. I found the basic recipe online and made a couple of batches with wholemeal flour (because that's all I ever haveand it would never occur to me to not use wholemeal) which came out fine. (I only stopped using their recipe because I developed my own method to use sourdough.)

    ReplyDelete

Your KINDLY WORDED, constructive comments are welcome, whether or not they express a differing opinion. All others will be deleted without second thought.