Thursday, September 13, 2007

The ten most common questions and comments I get in public

#1 - You guessed it: "Are they all yours?!??"

I used to get asked that every time I went anywhere, but hear it less these days. Either the resemblance between me and the kids is too obvious, or people don't even want to go into that with me.

#2 - "You have your hands full!"

This seems to be the current favorite. I guess it would seem like I have my hands full when I have one child strapped to my front in a sling, one in the shopping cart in front of me, and two holding on to either side of the cart. Add to that a purse the size of a suitcase on one shoulder, pushing the cart with one hand while holding the cell phone, keys, shopping list, etc. in the other hand. And then the phone rings... my husband calling from the road to chat. Must be nice, driving down the road in peace and quiet! :)

#3 - "So, are you done yet?"

Although this may seem like a question, it is always spoken as a command - firm voice, concerned look with pity mixed in, and definitely not expecting "No!" for an answer. I wonder: Done with what? I thought I'm the one that lets the natural events just take their course while they are "doing" their part to stop that.

#4 - "So, are you going to have more?"

Very similar to #3 above, but usually meant as an honest question.

#5 - "You guys need to get a TV!"

Always said as a joke, but I love to see the shock on people's faces when I tell them that we REALLY don't have one.

#6 - "Are they twins/triplets?"

Referring to the three boys. Each of them is separated by about 2 years in age and several inches in height, but that may not be obvious to the casual observer.

#7 - "How many do you plan on having?"

The subject - kids - is implied. The reactions when I tell them "As many as I can!" range from pity to anger, with sympathy somewhere in between. The fact that they even ask this question shows that they do not agree with me in this area.

#8 - "Are you not in school today?"

Usually addressing Solomon, who is almost 6. He tells them he is home schooled, which sends people running the other way. Hey, they should have guessed that when they saw me wearing a long skirt and Birkenstock sandals, with long hair tied back and no make-up!

#9 - "They are so well behaved!"

Now this may not be true as much at home, but in public I am very adamant about the kids acting their best. No meltdowns, whining, begging, running around, etc. allowed.

#10 - "They are so happy!"

Of course, this is the favorite comment I love to get. And that in spite of #9 above!

2 comments:

  1. Jasmine's Journey said...

    I have 5 so I have had my share of annoying comments over the years as well. lol I just let those roll off.

    My favorite "nice" one is a friend of my moms who, when she comes over, always raves how my 5 all together are better behaved than her 1!

    Hooray!
    October 22, 2007 11:33 AM

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you have posted this years ago, and I assume you are not asked so much anymore if the boys are triplets. They seem to have very different personnalities and tastes, and ... heights.

    When we were little, my sister and I were always taken for twins, even if we are two years apart. My mom must have answered that question thousands of times.

    ReplyDelete

Your KINDLY WORDED, constructive comments are welcome, whether or not they express a differing opinion. All others will be deleted without second thought.