Thursday, December 28, 2017

Recipe for Quick Einkorn Sandwich Loaves


This recipe is an adaptation of One Good Thing By Jillee's English Muffin Bread.


As written, the recipe does not work with einkorn flour. While einkorn contains gluten like modern wheat, it is structurally far weaker than the gluten in high-bred modern wheat. While it will allow the bread to rise, it will then quickly collapse either during the rise, or when baking. 

It is therefore critical to not use too much yeast, and to not allow the dough to rise as high as it theoretically could (before collapsing).

The good thing about this recipe is that the dough is very wet, more like thick batter, which is ideal for working with einkorn. 

Weighing einkorn flour (as opposed to measuring it) will yield far better results, as it is much more accurate. Kitchen scales are inexpensive and save a lot of time, so if you don't have one I highly recommend getting one. 



I use and love these loaf pans. I buy all my einkorn flour from Jovial Foods. I typically whip up one batch of the dough, then move the first four pans to the oven and start them rising while making up a second batch, and then bake 8 loaves at a time rather than just 4.





Quick Einkorn Sandwich Loaves (yield: 4)


Ingredients:

1350 g (about 5 1/2 cups) lukewarm water
1/2 tbsp dry active yeast (rapid rise or regular)
2 tbsp salt
3 tbsp sugar
1320 g (about 11 cups) all-purpose einkorn flour 

Instructions:

1. If you live in a cold climate, turn on the light in your oven to create a warm environment in which to let the loaves rise. If you have a gas oven, the pilot light will suffice. 

2. In a large bowl, combine all ingredients thoroughly with a sturdy rubber spatula. The dough will be thick like batter. The only thing to watch out for is to make sure there are no clumps of flour left,  as these would end up in the finished loaf.


3. Grease four loaf pans. (I use and recommend these.) Pour 1/4 of the dough into each pan. The pans will be about half full.


4. Move the pans to the warm oven for rising. When the dough has risen to the top of the pan (anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours, depending on the climate and yeast), turn the oven to 350 degrees without disturbing the loaf pans.



5. Bake loaves for about 30 minutes once the oven reaches the correct temperature. 

6. When done, remove the loaves from the oven, and immediately brush their tops with butter to keep their crusts soft. Allow loaves to cool in the pans for 5 minutes, then turn them out onto a cooling rack.



7. Cool completely before slicing. Enjoy as is, or toasted.



 

To print, click on the green "Print Friendly" button at the bottom of this post. It will open up a new window, in which you can select segments and pictures in this post to delete before printing.

If you are new to baking with einkorn, or thinking of making the switch, I highly recommend the Jovial Foods Einkorn cookbook.

 
 available on Amazon


17 comments:

  1. Oh yay!!! Can't wait to try it. I'm hoping it does well with weighed fresh, ground flour too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Huzzah! I'm so excited to try this!! Thanks for posting!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay can't wait to try it! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, first let me say that I vehemently disagree with your beliefs and lifestyle. That being said, I won't judge or criticize you for the way you choose to live your life. I do have a genuine question for you , out of pure curiosity: your husband is the head of your household and makes all of the decisions for the family. If something were to happen to him, how would you handle it? Would you be able to cope with suddenly being thrust into the leadership role of yourself and your 11 children, since you've never had to that before (correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm under the impression that Christians don't believe in remarriage)? Again this is not meant to be snarky or judgmental...I just can't help but wonder how this situation would be handled since I have no experience with fundamentalist Christianity. If you could be so kind as to explain this to me, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clearly, you do not understand in the least.

      First off, while my husband is the head of the household, that does NOT mean that he makes all the decisions for the family. It means that if there is disagreement, his 'vote' is the tie-breaker. This hardly ever happens in the first place because we both base our beliefs and opinions on the Bible.

      Secondly, there are hundreds of decisions made daily, many of which relate to the kids and the household. Not only would it be ridiculous and impractical for my husband to try and make all those decisions, it would be humanly impossible. We each have our area we are best at (he: providing and protecting, me: keeping the home fires burning). It would be foolish of any husband to 'fly solo' and not entrust to his wife areas that she has greater competence in.

      Thirdly, I would not 'suddenly be thrust into a leadership position'. Just because my husband is the leader of our home does not mean I have no other areas in which I am looked to as a leader myself, such as to the kids, younger ladies in the church, or professionally. I have plenty of leadership experience, and know how to fend for myself should it become necessary.

      Fourth, we have 9 children, soon 10, not 11. The oldest is virtually a grown man himself and pretty capable of making wise life decisions himself. I'm not taking care of 9 newborns.

      Fifth, the Bible is not against remarriage after death, only after divorce. That being said, if my husband were to die, I personally would not remarry while having minor children living at home. I had an abusive molester step-dad, as step-dads often are, and would not expose my kids to that risk.

      Sixth, we are not 'fundamentalist Christians', just Christians. Taking the Bible at face value is nothing extreme.

      Delete
    2. If Pastor Anderson made all the decisions for the family, there would have been a green bean casserole on the Thanksgiving table!

      Delete
    3. Amen to your entire answer but points four, five and six, especially! We do not leave our children with anyone, and I am thankful that you don't leave yours with anyone except Grandma, either! ...and "fundamentalist" is a word used in many negative contexts. We are simply Bible-believing Christians.

      Delete
    4. I so sorry about what happened during your childhood. I hope you have a safe delivery and a healthy number 10!

      Delete
    5. Thank you, anon. While he was inappropriate and abusive with me, I was not the main target of his perversions. I am thankful for that, but also feel terrible about not having been able to prevent what he did to others.

      Delete
  5. Dear Mrs. Anderson, you write that the bible "isn't against remarriage after death". Which is certainly true. However, I remember that your husband specifically preached that women should get remarried after their husband's death. So it seems that he believes that this isn't an optional thing, but rather a command written in the bible. So what should a young widow do? Get remarried, as your husband preaches, or stay single in order to protect her children? Seems like a catch 22 to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She said she would remarry, once her children were grown. Her children (grown sons) would be able to provide for her in the mean time. I have thought the scenario out for myself & don’t know the answer & am curious as to what you would do Zsuzsanna...I have three daughters (4, 3, & 1)... I wouldn’t want to remarry until they were grown either. I don’t want to put them in day care so I can work...practically my whole paycheck would be needed for childcare anyways. What are your thoughts?

      Delete
  6. Hahahah in reading these comments I had to scroll to the top of the page to remind myself what the blog post was. So thanks for the bread recipe!!! And blessings to EVERYONE doing there best the best way they know how!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for posting your recipe. I've been looking foward to you posting it and I can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Today I did your recipe as written & it turned out perfectly! And best part-husband approved. 👍 Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Zsuzanne! I wasn't sure how to reach you so I'm trying here. I've made your Einkorn Artisan Sourdough recipe many times and it makes me look like a genius! What I'd like to try now is adding seeds or nuts or fruit to it but I have no idea how to do that - how much should I add, should they be soaked or roasted, when should I add them, etc... I've not found any info online about how to do this with an Einkorn Sourdough, which as you know, is definitely not the same as non-Einkorn Sourdough. Would love any suggestions you may have. : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing such a nice and simple recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Your KINDLY WORDED, constructive comments are welcome, whether or not they express a differing opinion. All others will be deleted without second thought.