Friday, May 4, 2012

Recipe for Strawberry Shortcakes

This recipe is not only quick enough to pull off as an impromptu dessert or quick breakfast (yes! - beats boxed cereal any day), it also uses only honey, and whole wheat flour.







Ingredients

Strawberry topping:
 1 to 2 lbs fresh strawberries
1 tbsp honey

 Whipped cream topping:
1 to 2 cups heavy cream
1 to 2 tbsp honey

Shortcakes:
3 cups whole wheat pastry flour (if milling fresh, use soft white wheat)
2 tbsp honey
2 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 to 2 cups heavy cream


1. If milling flour fresh, turn on grain mill with soft white wheat.

2. Wash, hull, and slice strawberries.


Add honey. Even if you are using raw (crystallized ) honey, doing this first will give the honey enough time to break down and make the strawberries syrupy. Cover, and set aside.



3. Add the heavy cream for the whipped cream topping to the bowl of a mixer. Add honey, and beat on high until cream is stiff. (Again, even crystallized honey will quickly dissolve in the cream, and not leave clumps.) Move whipped cream to a small bowl, and refrigerate. 





4. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

5. Add flour, honey, baking powder, and salt to the mixing bowl (no need to wash it first). Turn on speed 2 until ingredients are combined.


While the mixer is running, slowly start pouring in cream, until dough comes together but is still very sticky.



6. Turn dough out onto a floured surface.


Flour the top, and pat or roll out to about 1/2 inch thickness.


7. Cut rounds with a floured biscuit cutter, and place on a large prepared baking sheet.



8. Bake at 425 degrees for 6-10 minutes, until the shortcakes are golden.


9. Move to a cooling rack, and serve with whipped cream and strawberries.



Enjoy! :)
  
P.S. If your family is not used to eating lots of whole grains, you could substitute half of the flour with all-purpose white flour, and slowly increase the whole wheat content over time to allow their palates to adjust. Freshly milled flour is very sweet, making the transition an easy one.

13 comments:

  1. YUM! Thanks for sharing this recipe (I've just printed it for my file) I don't really enjoy whipped cream but I know the rest of my family would LOVE this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh.My.Goodness...your pictures almost had me licking my computer screen!! Strawberry Shortcake is just one more proof, to me, that God is indeed watching over us. ;-D

    Homemade strawberry shortcake truly is on my list of top 5 foods...AND I have 2 pounds of organic strawberries just waiting for me in my fridge. I am going to try your shortcake recipe- I usually use a biscuit recipe I learned from a wonderful woman when I lived in the south, but I love that yours uses whole wheat.
    Blessings!
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheerios and corn flakes don't contain all the fat and sugar in your breakfast. And, assuming it is served with milk, it has a lot more protein.

    Sorry, but your breakfast has way too much fat in it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of course this is not a breakfast that is served every morning or a dessert served every evening.

    Love strawberries!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Milling your own flour doesn't take away from the fact that this recipe has a huge amount of fat.

    A recipe with store-bought flour and less far would be far healthier than your version.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fat isn't bad for you when it's coming from real sources, it's the chemical boxed trans fat that's bad for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Goodness gracious, that is terribly unhealthy. There are approximately 1284mg of cholesterol in that recipe and 640 grams of fat. (20mg of cholesterol in a tbs of cream, 5 grams of fat in a tbs of cream, 16 tbs in a cup, 4 cups in the recipe) The cholesterol is equal to 16 Big Macs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow! That looks so good! Ever since I've been pregnant I've been craving strawberries, and I'm so glad they are now in season here!This recipe looks less complicated then others and I like using whole wheat flours and honey instead of the usual. I don't have a grain mill but just found some white whole wheat flour at the store yesterday, this recipe looks perfect for it! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks mouth watering!! You are a wicked woman posting such tempting treats on your blog ;-D j/k.
    I am going to try your recipe out and give my family a very "unhealthy" dessert. As if desserts are supposed to be health food anyway. Whoever made that comment was a first rate moron!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Katie,

    most white whole wheat flour is made from hard white wheat, not soft white wheat. That type of flour would be great for baking bread or anything else raised with yeast, but not for quick breads like shortcakes that are raised with baking powder. It has to do with the gluten content of the wheat. Please make sure yours is made from soft white wheat (typically called pastry flour).

    ReplyDelete
  11. People have been so brainwashed to believe "fat" is bad for them. I laugh when I read those comments. No, fatheads, you are FAT because you eat too much. Probably too many carbs and processed grains.

    I can tell you this, I have never in my entire life limited fat and I am 43 years old and still wear a size 4. I wake up every day and eat a giant omelet, dripping in butter, and stuffed with cheese. Every. day.

    My cholesterol was 160 the last time I had my blood checked and I didn't even fast beforehand. Not bad for someone who ate over 700 eggs last year.

    Fat isn't the problem. I wonder how long it will take the mainstream to figure out they've been sold a lie to promote the false guise that low fat, heavily subsidized grains are good for you?

    Helllllloooooo. Your kids are skinny, for crying out loud.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am COMPLETELY jealous!! Your recipe looks/sounds absolutely delicious! Unfortunately, I'm dealing with some health issues that require me to be on a feeding tube. This is definitely going to be at the top of my list of things to make after I am able to eat again!
    God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! I am a new reader to your blog and just came across this recipe...it sounds amazing! My 2 year old is a very picky eater but this might be something she would eat...and it's fruit and fresh grains and good fat!

    Thanks for the recipe!

    Shannon

    ReplyDelete

Your KINDLY WORDED, constructive comments are welcome, whether or not they express a differing opinion. All others will be deleted without second thought.