Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Applesauce Doughnuts

It's rare that I make doughnuts, but when I do, these are a family favorite. The fact that they are quick to make is an added bonus for me.

 
 
I discovered these years ago in a little Gold Medal "Bake Sale Favorites" cooking magazine. The recipe can be found online on the Betty Crocker website.
 
There are only a couple of changes I make: I use palm oil in place of the shortening (butter or coconut oil would also work well), and fry the doughnuts in palm oil or homemade lard. All of these are healthy, non-hydrogenated fats, as opposed to shortening or heated vegetable oils (which will create trans-fatty acids). Of course I am not trying to say that doughnuts, with all their simple carbs in the form of white flour and sugar, will ever be a health food - I'm just reducing the negative impact on these occasional treats.

It is also not necessary to allow the dough to chill for a full hour - I usually just stick it in the fridge for about 15 minutes while I clean up the kitchen and heat the fat for frying.
 
 
 


With fall just around the corner, you may find these as delicious as we do. Click here for the recipe.

2 comments:

  1. Yum! Time to change the oil in my deep fryer :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look delicious! I normally hate to deep fry anything (almost set the house on fire as a teen!)...but I may just have to try these! :)

    ReplyDelete

Your KINDLY WORDED, constructive comments are welcome, whether or not they express a differing opinion. All others will be deleted without second thought.