Thursday, June 30, 2016

Hiking up North

On Monday, we took a little trip up north to go hiking. We love the area around Payson and the Mogollon Rim. It's only about two hours' drive from home, but the temperature is typically 20-30 degrees lower. There is always a chance of some nice thunderstorms this time of year, and the vegetation is very different.




 


When we went, it was cloudy with intermittent very light showers and a balmy 81 degrees. It felt perfect! The pine forest was lush and fragrant. So very different from our climate here in the Valley!
 
 




Chloe did really well. She slept most of the drive up, and then was happy to be carried in my K'tan baby carrier. I turned her facing out while she was awake, and when she fell asleep about halfway into the hike, I turned her facing in so she could snooze on my chest comfortably. She is in the carrier a little low in these pictures because it had stretched a bit and needed to be washed again to shrink the fabric down some, but she was comfy and safe. 


 






Miriam wrote "LOVE" on the trail for me. Can you see it? 




Stephen got an axe from his Dad as a gift some time ago. He just loves that thing, and brings it along anywhere he can. He kept pretending to be felling trees with it.





There were horses roaming in the woods around us. At one point, they were standing right on the trail. They were tame of course and well trained. I am guessing they must have belonged to a nearby ranch. Isaac being the horse lover that he is, and having had lots of experience from his riding lessons, had loaded two of his sisters onto one horse, helped John and Solomon onto their own horses, and then hoisted himself onto a horse before we even knew what they were up to. By the time we came upon them, they had ridden off some distance in the woods, bareback like little Indian children. We stopped to take a picture, and then hollered for them to get off and come back as they started heading over the next hill.



By the end of the hike, Boaz had made a complete mess of himself, as well he should have playing in the woods. He did really well and pretty much walked the 4 miles or so we covered by himself without any help. Anytime one of his big brothers picked him up, he would demand, "Put me down! Put me down!"





Before heading back home, we did our customary stop at "Pizza Factory" in Payson. They never disappoint, but the pizza was especially good that day. We got back home in time for baths and bed for the little kids. It was such a wonderful family day!

14 comments:

  1. Seems like you all had a very fun day! I like the way you posted it: "Thoughtfully written instead of doing chores by..." I often find myself putting off chores for something more interesting and fun. That is really one of my weaknesses -- not wanting to do anything difficult or requiring physical exertion or boring. The physical exertion has just come in the past few years...next month I will be 61 years old, so I'm forgiving myself for not exerting as much as before. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have age on my side as an excuse quite yet ;) In our family, there is always work to do. If I waited until all the work is done to do things just for fun, I would just never get around to them. So yes, anytime I blog, something else is being neglected. But sometimes, taking a much needed break is a must.

      Delete
  2. I love your list for what to do instead of watching t.v.! If it were up to me, we would throw it out. But my husband likes it for news and weather and maybe a few shows, but there is so much on there now that is just inappropriate for any age. We mostly watch Christian channels now. Love Bringing Up Bates with their 19 children!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a microwave for many years. I did not like using it, but as long as we had it, I kept falling back on it out of convenience and a reluctance to change how I dealt with leftovers. Finally, I asked my husband to rip it out, and put a spice rack in its place instead. He kindly obliged, and I have never once missed having a microwave, even after failing at giving it up for years.

      We don't have a TV for that same reason. If we did, it would be too tempting to keep falling back on it as a babysitter. For us, getting rid of it was the easiest route, but I understand that it's not possible in situations like yours where your husband liked to have one.

      Delete
    2. Unfortunately, when my husband was very young he had asthma rather badly and stayed home from school a lot. His mother used the tv as a babysitter and he grew up on it to the point he feels he "needs" to watch it sometimes. We are of the generation where tv was first popular and our parents did not know NOT to use it as babysitters.

      Delete
  3. Another beautiful child. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Go Isaac! I'm so impressed with his horsemanship. My husband and I honeymooned in Mesa and traveled throughout your state. We were blown away by the climate changes as we moved about. Here in Michigan, the weather is typically fairly consistent region to region. You have a precious family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Captivating. You have a wonderful way with words. I suspect you could make mowing the lawn sound delightful. :)

    I'm curious ... how do the Anderson's travel? Two cars? A huge van?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, thank you! You flatter me. If only there were lawns to mow in Arizona in the summer!

      We drive a Nissan NV 12-passenger van. It is big enough for us for day trips, but for most extended trips where we need to bring a lot of gear and/or equipment, we rent a small closed trailer from U-haul and tow it behind the van. Makes things easier and helps keep our stuff organized.

      Delete
  6. The second-to-last picture with Solomon and Boaz will be cherished by both of them as they grow up. It's just too cute for words. Also, John looks just like you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really love my K'tan. I registered for it in part because of your review and it's been one of my favorite pieces of baby gear. But where's the bottom sash?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is that baby carrier comfortable for you and your back though? I find that the lower a baby is, the less comfortable it is for the mama ;-) I'd recommend the Beco Gemini or Mei Tai. Beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete

Your KINDLY WORDED, constructive comments are welcome, whether or not they express a differing opinion. All others will be deleted without second thought.