Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Mother's Day

Mother's Day was precious, of course. The kids were excited to make me gifts, but I didn't care about "being spoiled" - I am just thankful to be the mother of them all. They are all the gifts I ever need! My husband, too, spoils me year-round, and then also took me out for not one, but two lunch dates on Saturday and Sunday. 

Guys, the best way to show your wife you love her and affirm her as a competent wife and mother is to make her a mother again and again! It's also a great way to secure your wife's enduring love. :)

I am not one to enjoy breakfast (or any meal for that matter) in bed. In fact, I can't stand to stay in bed once I wake up. The kids all know this, so they just quietly stayed in bed while I puttered around the kitchen making breakfast - overnight sourdough waffles with whipped cream and strawberry sauce. 



How's that for a double-barrelled shotgun?? These cast-iron beauties are actually antiques, as the company that used to make them went out of business many decades ago. Besides not needing non-stick coating, these cannot be beat for churning out the most flavorful waffles that are crisp on the outside, yet soft and chewy on the inside. I am always looking to find these waffle irons used, as I am determined to send each of my children into marriage owning one of them. :)



  


There are many things that never used to bother me when we had fewer children. One of these is being asked: "What's for breakfast/lunch/dinner?" It is a perfectly normal and understandable question - until I am asked it in excess of two dozen times each day. At this point, I just can't bear to be asked that question ever again. It's not because I don't have a plan for every meal of the day (that would be impossible with how many mouths I am feeding), I just feel like my lips and brain get fuzzy saying the same thing again and again. Just being realistic here! So, in an attempt to get the kids to stop asking, my pat answer has become "Food!" It worked, sort of, except now they slink around the kitchen trying to figure out what I am making instead of asking. 

Well, John came up with this cute laminated menu plan to keep on the fridge. I write the meals on with a wet erase marker (lunch and dinner today, breakfast tomorrow), and we all live happily ever after.
 




Solomon and Isaac surprised me with a very unique and cool gift. They had found an abandoned wild bee hive at the peach orchard two days before Mother's Day, and decided to turn the beeswax from it into hand lotion. They melted and strained the wax, added other ingredients based on a recipe they were using, and then scented it with my vanilla essential oil. It turned out really nice!!

 

Solomon also made me a paper-quilled card.

 



 Anna liked what he did so much, she used some of the materials to make me one, too. :)
 

 

I know I am biased, but these eight kids are the best in the world. I cannot believe I have been blessed with them all!

 Please excuse the post-meal mess. They are still super cute even when their faces and clothes are dirty.





9 comments:

  1. Your children are so creative and skilled! The paper quilled card is really something, and the fact that your sons took the time to create you a hand lotion is so kind. Love the menu idea too! You can tell he put a lot of thought into it. Hope you had a blessed mother's day

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the cards that your kids made you. I love love love cast iron. I have never seen the waffle irons in a second hand store, as of yet :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, neither, but I bought both locally through craigslist.

      Delete
  3. I absolutely love that you celebrate WHY you're a mother on Mother's Day!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a wonderful way to spend mother's day! Happy belated mother's day to you. I love the boys' spoons! I have 3 boys, 5 years old and under, and they would love something like that. Best of luck on your upcoming delivery! Thanks for being an inspiration of a godly mother and wife.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do not comment often but I visit and enjoy your updates and the window you share with us. I decided that I needed to comment when I saw you share that someone said something about the state of your couch in the photos.

    I grew up in large family. I was only blessed with four children although we desired at least 8. I wish that as I type I am polite and also clear so you understand my thoughts. I do not see a couch that is imperfect in others eyes, but a haven for a child to rest upon while say eating a banana and reading. I see the couch as a place that one with jam sticky fingers climbs up to nestle next to a mother or a father or both...in a world where many lack an intact home. I see a place that is the ledge that a young child uses while mastering their first steps. I see the first bouncy place that doubles as a trampoline or a fort and at times both. I see the couch as the mini hospital when a wee one is ill and needs a place during the day where momma can keep watchful eyes upon him/her. I see a couch with peeling or torn edges smiling as itty bitty fingers found the peeling and continued on as it helped with motor skills. I see the couch as a family portrait center because the family can be sprawled across and be in totality. I see the couch as a place that beacons the weary momma, the tired daddy so that they can rest a moment than reboot their day. I do not like that others miss this story when they look upon your couch,but PLEASE DO NOT defend why you need a couch when the couch you have speaks volumes to the LOVE you have in your home. If only everyone could have a couch that speaks without saying a word.

    By the way, my husband and I have been through many a used couch in our almost 28 years. We never bought new knowing what children and a family can do to a couch. Now that we are parents of all adult children our last used couch(bought about four years ago) is acquiring little fingerprints from the next generation...as we now have two new grandbabies to write their story upon our couch.

    I pray for you and your family as you are allowing your light to shine in a very dim world.
    Jennifer
    New Mexico

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is so incredibly beautiful. Thank you!

      Delete
  6. I am so impressed with the cards and gifts the children made - wow!! Happy Mother's Day! :)

    ReplyDelete

Your KINDLY WORDED, constructive comments are welcome, whether or not they express a differing opinion. All others will be deleted without second thought.