Monday, May 9, 2016

Boaz turns 2

Last Friday, our youngest turned two years old. Crazy how time flies! Seems like just yesterday that Boaz was born, and then turned one.

We started the day by opening some gifts, though not all because the attention span of two-year olds is limited, and breakfast became his primary concern. 

 It's striking how identical they look in this.


 
Fireman jammies from Becca.

 Singing "Happy Birthday" to himself



 A box of cookies from John.

 The construction plate was a gift from Miriam.


Side note: I have been receiving repeated negative comments regarding the state of our sofa. I agree, it looks terribly worn. We are putting money aside each month to buy a new one large enough to fit the whole family, without exceeding our living room, and one that will hopefully stand up to the use and abuse from the kids. Ikea sells just what we are looking for, with a 10-year warranty, and they no longer use flame retardants in their sofas. We have been set back by several critical home repairs in the last couple of months, so for the time being, please excuse the appearance of the sofa. It is still very comfortable, and we are continuing to make many great family memories on it! :)

After breakfast, as we usually do, we headed out to put flowers on the grave of Jachin, Boaz' deceased twin brother.

 
 

 I was worried that Boaz would cry about balloons floating away in the sky, but he was happy to let them go,









After that, we headed to a local farm/orchard for a fun family morning.
 



Monkeys!

 I love how Boaz is trying to match Dad's stride.



After picking peaches, we took a train ride around the orchard, ...


 


 ... followed by a hay ride.

  


 We got to feed some deer along the way, which scared Bo a bit.

"Uppy, Daddy, uppy!"


 Dad is definitely his preferred parent at this stage.

 


 The farm also has a petting zoo, and lots of different play areas.

 Anna helping the birthday boy.

 


We had a special birthday lunch at Raising Cane's, before heading home for naps. My husband went to work at the office, while the youngest five kids and I all crashed, and the three big boys busily finished up some school work for the year. We are not supposed to finish for two more weeks, but hoping to be done before baby comes, I told them anyone finished last week would get  a bonus of $10, or $5 for anyone done this Friday. Well, money speaks! :)


In the afternoon, the sunny skies briefly darkened and we got a nice downpour. The older kids went bike riding in the rain, while Miriam took Boaz outside to play.

 


After the rain stopped, Boaz came inside to open the rest of his gifts.

The shirts from Grandma were a hit.

A favorite Richard Scarry book from his two biggest brothers (our last copy has fallen apart from much use).


Construction cutlery from Anna and Stephen to match his plate.


 A new pool floatie from us, which of course he immediately wanted to try out.
 


At bedtime, I saw Stephen on the sofa "reading" with a stack of other Richard Scarry books, which I thought was pretty cute.


When I tucked Stephen into bed that night, he asked me, "Why did Jachin die?" You would think I would be prepared for that question, but I wasn't. There is a medical answer to that question, and there is a spiritual answer to it, neither of which I felt I could adequately explain to a not-quite 4 year old. He seemed content with the answer I gave him, but it did get me thinking.

It was a very nice family day. I am so thankful for the wonderful family God has blessed us with.

36 comments:

  1. Hello! What a wonderful birthday celebration! It is truly a joy to read your blog posts and get a glimpse into the life of your beautiful family that I quite look up to (as an avid FWBC YouTube follower). I just have to say...I'm shocked that anyone would have the audacity to say anything about your home furnishings, how incredibly rude! More importantly though, blessings be with you at the upcoming birth of your baby Zsuzsanna!! God bless your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The daughter wearing the long pink flowing skirt, Miriam?, well, she looks so pretty in that beautiful skirt. Love it! I would like to find one just like it for myself!

    Praying for your upcoming delivery, and for your lil' birthday boy to receive blessings as he grows more this next year of his precious life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. :) Yes, that's Miriam. She has always had a great taste in clothing.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for sharing your family with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your family is sweet. Your kids are adorable. They grow up so fast. I'll be praying for your upcoming delivery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, if it's any consolation, I have been through THREE handed down sofas in my 15 yrs of marriage and 14 yrs of having children, and all three have turned out to look very dilapidated by the time we got the next hand me down, lol! Kids just do that to sofas, especially when they are home 90% of the time. I can't believe anyone would even comment on your sofa! It's well loved, so who cares what it looks like? I am with you- I need a new one as well, but so far, the finances aren't there, so we continue to use the old, hand me down that works just fine. :)It looks like you had a marvelous day. Beautiful family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have also never bought a sofa new, except for one "as is" display model from IKEA, so I guess it was sort of new. All our furniture, and many of our appliances, are bought used, or given to us for free, and we are perfectly okay with that :) I am so thankful for craigslist!

      Delete
  6. I can almost guarantee your kids are not bothered by the "state of your sofa". How ridiculous! We have seven children and thrift store furniture all around. God bless your day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looked like Boaz had a wonderful birthday.

    I would say that I can't believe anyone would criticize your furniture but I know how it is in the blog world.
    Don't make apologies.
    You have a large family and there is more important things in life than making sure furniture is show room perfect.
    I keep my couches and chairs covered with a large comforter and sheets.It's not pretty but it keeps them clean from dirty little hands and saves a little wear & tear.
    I learned that trick from grandmother,well she could sew so she made nicer looking coverings but I can't sew so I made do.
    I had four children and now I have two grandchildren and it really saves my furniture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kids really do a number on the furniture, don't they? My husband jokingly said we should wait to buy a new sofa until they are grown, so it can actually stay nice. While we won't wait that long, it does get bumped down in priority to say, plumbing problems. :) I've tried the slip covers before, but found that keeping them even half-way in place was impossible.

      Delete
    2. Once the kids are grown, you have grand-kids :-)
      Plumbing always comes first lol
      My kids wasn't too bad with slipcovers but my granddaughter likes to wrap up in them.

      Delete
  8. What a beautiful day! I'm so thankful for you sharing such special memories with all of us. Our prayers are with you and the family. <3

    Btw, the couch always showed me that you are "really" human and so glad I'm not the only family that finds material things such as that of very low importance. Thanks for keeping it real and just being you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I enjoy blogging about our family.

      Delete
  9. The children are growing up so quickly! Miriam's skirt is just beautiful, and if you don't mind, I'd like to know what brand or kind it is? I would love to get some for my girls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The brand is Cherokee, and that's the size 7/8. Not sure which store it was originally sold at, as she received it as a birthday gift.

      Delete
    2. Cherokee is a Target brand, and they currently do have that skirt still in stock.

      Delete
  10. Finn is OBSESSED with Richard scarry books too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read them in Hungarian as a child, and still remember many of the stories. :)

      Delete
    2. Your couch....:)....had a couch that looked like that. Even when we had enough money to replace it, I was too sentimental towards it to get rid of it. I ended up getting a nice slip cover. Since then the arm fell off. We now have a new couch, but I miss the old one.

      Delete
  11. The great thing with IKEA couches is that people are always selling them on craigslist! Most of the models are modular so you can buy the basic couch used, then add new sectional parts. It's easy to save at least $500 that way! And if you buy new slipcovers, it's basically a brand new couch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been looking, but have not yet found the particular model we are looking for. It has to be a certain one to fit into the living room, and giving us maximum sofa space for almost 11 people.

      Delete
    2. I just saw your comment with the model you're looking at. You're certainly right that leather will be more durable than a fabric sofa, and those are HARD to find used! My mom's leather couch has been around 7 kids and now 12 grandkids, and all it needs is a good wipe once in a while. Much love to you and your family in the final stretch before little Anderson comes.

      Delete
  12. What a beautiful birthday celebration :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can't believe Boaz is 2 already, he has grown so fast!! Questions about Jachin are painful I am sure, but it is so wonderful that you keep his memory alive for your other children. I can only imagine how bitter sweet the day was for you. I pray your delivery goes without any complications for you and the sweet new one joining your family. God Bless, K

    ReplyDelete
  14. Forgot to add, who on earth would care to comment about the state of your couch? Your family is healthy, clean, loved and cared for, the couch is just something to sit on. K

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a beautiful family! Happy birthday Boaz and Happy Mother's day from the Bailey Family in Australia!

    To be honest, I didn't even notice the couches until I read your note - too busy studying the happy faces. The slip covers for lounges are a practical idea and you just throw them in the wash. We would love to donate some money for you to get a new sofa, is there any way we could contribute? The exchange rate from au to us is pretty pathetic, but a little something might help.

    - The Bailey Family

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind offer, that is very sweet of you. Please do not worry about sending anything :) But I do appreciate the thought. :)

      Delete
  16. Could you please share what kind of sofa you decided on from Ikea? We are looking to save up for a new sofa, and I trust your research!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S49068215/

      This is the 2+2+chaise sectional. It also comes in one larger and several smaller versions, this is just the biggest one we can fit into our living room. Benefits: thick leather that won't peel like the current sofa, 10 year warranty (great for a large family), very comfy, can easily be wiped off, flame retardant free. Downside: I'm sure it takes forever to assemble, and they do use other harmful chemicals to make the sofa.

      For those whose kids are grown, don't destroy furniture, and are independently wealthy, I absolutely love this one: http://www.eklahome.com/product/kristina-sectional-lfcrfc/ Benefits: zero funky chemicals, comes pre-assembled, fully customized. Downsides: cost prohibitive for us.

      Delete
  17. Hello! I'm new to your blog and am loving it. My husband and I recently ran into some teachings/documentaries from FWBC and have been enjoying those. We're a homeschool family as well. It's great to connect with other mama's passionate about Jesus and raising godly children.
    God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy Birthday to little Boaz! It seems like just yesterday that we were waiting so anxiously for his arrival, and now he's TWO. Congratulations to you all!

    Love all the precious pictures. Miriam is growing into an elegant young lady, and Solomon looks practically like a full adult! Wow.

    Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. If I had your enviable sewing skills, I would use the money I saved thus far, buy some cotton duck fabric, and make slipcovers with separate seat covers, to avoid the "wonky" look. That would buy you some more time with the current sofa, which, by this time, has probably outgassed (is that a word?) all the bad fumes. But, then again, I only have four kids, so what do I know? In any case, thanks for the update.

    ReplyDelete

Your KINDLY WORDED, constructive comments are welcome, whether or not they express a differing opinion. All others will be deleted without second thought.