Saturday, January 30, 2016

Maui Trip, Day 5 (Monday, Jan. 11)


For Day 1, click here.
For Day 2, click here.
For Day 3, click here.
For Day 4, click here.


Driving the "Road to Hana" is on just about every single bucket list for Maui. Hana lies on the far eastern end of the island, and can only be accessed on land by traveling a narrow, winding road along the shore, typically the north shore through scenic rain forests with lots of waterfalls and pools of water.

 Not my map, but pretty much exactly the drive we took over the course of Day 5 and Day 6 (Source)


Even though the actual distance to Hana is only about 50 miles along this road, it takes a good 2 1/2 hours to drive it, even without stopping to admire the many beautiful sights along the road. But as they say, the journey IS the destination, and this is especially true for the drive to Hana. 

Because I had read that there was so much to explore both along the drive, as well as on that side of the island, I had planned for us to spend two days on this part of the vacation - one day to drive to Hana along the north shore, then spend the night there, and drive back the second day along the southern shore route.

My husband woke up at 4 a.m. that day, but I got to "sleep in" until 5 a.m. We packed an ice chest and some things we would need for the trip, and left the house before 6 a.m. We stopped to get cash and fill the gas tank before leaving civilization.

There are several audio CDs for sale that give a narration of worthwhile sights and stops along the drive. After looking into the various versions, I wanted to buy one particular one that seemingly everyone online was recommending. We tried to find it at three or four stores and gas stations without success, passing up other popular audio guides in search of this "special gem", until I finally gave up and downloaded their mp3 version that did not include the map. This guide turned out to be really cheesy and lame, something that offered my husband ample opportunities to needle me along the drive, after going to such pains trying to find it, and not settling for anything else. Maybe the other audio guides are even worse? Who knows.



 People really live here! It was in the middle of nowhere.
We held off making our first stop, knowing that we could always come back to the early parts of the drive at a later day of our vacation, giving us more time to focus on the parts that we would only be able to visit this once.
 
At mile 9.5 we stopped at the Waikamoi nature trail, where we hiked through the beautiful rain forest for about 45 minutes. There was some sort of bamboo-like plant there that smelled like ginger root - very strange. 

Our next stop came around mile 17, on the Ke'anae peninsula, where we bought a kalua pork sandwich and some seriously great banana bread at a roadside stand.


 The actually baked the banana bread in small batches in this regular oven.


We also drove to the shore here, where the waves were crashing in quite forcefully. Before we left for Hawaii, I was thinking that maybe it would be nice to go with the kids some day. When we actually got there, I was SO THANKFUL that it was just the two of us. Not only did it mean we actually got to take a break, but I would have died a thousand deaths watching the kids explore all the treacherous spots we visited. As it was, I kept worrying about what I would tell my mother-in-law if my husband were to get hurt doing his usual antics.






One of the most photographed waterfalls on the island, the "three bears", came up at mile 19.5. My husband climbed all the way down to the pool and went for a swim, but it was too steep and treacherous for me to attempt.




We made one more stop at a waterfall along the way, before arriving at the Black Sand Beach in Hana. This beach is as famous as it is popular. Most of the tour buses going to Hana stop here for lunch, before turning around and going back to the inhabited western part of the island. Accordingly, this beach was a little overrun, and I did not very much enjoy it. The black sand is not actually sand, but tiny lava rock, which was uncomfortable to walk on. I did not go into the water here because the surf was high and the shore was rocky, but my husband enjoyed swimming for a while I watched and relaxed.

After that, we hiked down to a cave at that beach, which had a pool of water at the bottom. The water was very cold, but my husband jumped into it a couple of times anyway. 

It was about 1 p.m. at this time, so we left and started working our way toward the little guest house we had rented for the night. Along the way, we stopped at the farm stand of an organic farm, where we bought some fresh fruit, as well as a little sample of organic, Maui-grown coffee for my mother-in-law. There was also a food truck in that parking lot, which the lady at the farm stand recommended, so we bought our lunch here. I had the grilled mahi with a white sauce with capers in it, over rice, plus the obligatory macaroni sald. Delicious! It might have been the best meal I had the whole time we were on vacation, and that's saying a lot because they were all awesome.




 
We checked into the guest house around 2 p.m. It was right on the shore, and the landlord told us about a really cool bay just across the street, within walking distance, that offered some really awesome cliffs for jumping off off. After getting settled, we took a walk and spent a couple of hours over there.







 That's a coconut floating in the water next to him, not the head of a less fortunate cliff jumper. 







It was not possible to get into the water here without jumping off a cliff, which I was obviously not going to do being pregnant and all (and even if I hadn't been...). There were tons of coconut palms all around, and some of the coconuts had fallen into the water, so I asked my husband to fish one out for me so I could peel/husk/shell (?) it. Not having any tools or the know-how of natives, it took me a good hour to get the coconut out of its shell, and then crack it open on a sharp rock. My husband enjoyed the fresh coconut water.




 



After going back to the guest house, we headed into Hana again to go swimming and boogie boarding at Hamoa Beach. This turned out to be one of my favorite beaches on the entire island. One side of the bay had a very gentle slope of perfectly soft salt-and-pepper colored sand. I felt safe going far out without having to worry about stepping on an urchin because the water was crystal clear. The other half of the bay offered great waves for boogie boarding.






While in town, we stopped in at the only store, which was a cool experience in itself as they literally sold everything from groceries to hardware supplies. Other than that store, there is pretty much only a one gas station and one restaurant in the entire town, plus a tiny post office. By this time, however, the town was going to sleep and everything was closing.

We took a drive around the "harbor", and then headed back to the house for a dinner of salami sandwiches we had packed, and some of the fresh fruit we had bought along the way. We ate these while listening to the sermons that had been preached at our church the previous day in our absence.






Our plan for the next day was to sleep in (for the first time ever on this trip), and then work our way back to the other side of the island again along the southern route.

27 comments:

  1. I'm so enjoying your journals!!

    And coincidentally, our last state study for the year is Hawaii - so I'm going to be using your journals and pictures as part of our unit study!

    I'm so glad you had so many adventures - I am in awe of your trip-planning abilities!

    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is addictive. I've never been there, so I'm enjoying this immensely. Glad you two got away together for such a wonderful holiday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I apologize if this is a repeat comment. My WiFi dropped, so I'm not sure my original posted.

    Long time lurker.

    I can't say how much I have enjoyed reading about your trip!
    Your style of writing really takes the reader somewhere.

    Blessings to you and your family.

    ~Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your pictures and comments are perfect for "arm chair travelers" like me. The solitary get-a-ways you visited are lovely. I wonder what it would be like to live in that old house you passed along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad you are enjoying your trip and enjoying each other at the same time. And I don't mean to put a damper on your trip but I wanted to say that I am disappointed because I had to tell my wife she can no longer look at your blog because it's not right that she got on here and had to see a another man with his shirt off. I believe that that is inappropriate and unbiblical. I am glad you are reaching souls but let's use a little more discretion please with what we publish on social media for people to see please. God Bless

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you make the claim that exposing his upper body is "unbiblical", you should have at least one verse to prove it. Please do share it. There isn't one. It is your opinion, which I find to be creepy and bizarre. "Be not righteous over much; neither make thyself over wise: why shouldest thou destroy thyself?" comes to mind.

      Delete
    2. That's a bit excessive. Your wife is not 'allowed' to go to the beach, or to a swimming pool?

      Delete
    3. Hey, I have a criticism of a pic, too, now that the topic is up. The pic of your husband lying on the bed with that 'cat that ate the canary' grin on his face? Well, you should have put a bag of chips on his chest! :)

      Delete
    4. Unlike men, most women are rarely (if ever) "turned on" by little clothes (which is not even the case here). They are not visual creatures. Which is why they are much more likely to find a man attractive who is well-groomed, well-spoken, and in a suit (this displays security, leadership, stability, etc.), and not so much the "stud" look.

      Delete
    5. So true. I agree. Men, on the other hand, are turned on by lack of clothing. I notice there are no pictures of you flaunting around in a bikini, lol! ��

      Delete
  6. Zsuzsanna, I love your blog I'm a huge fan! Me and my husband love listening to your husband's preaching and we think he's a great preacher, yall have inspired us to have a big family and have really helped us grow as Christians, that said... it makes me very uncomfortable seeing pictures of your husband shirtless, it's almost as if the theres a shirtless man in front of me in my house, would you be okay in that circumstance or would it make you uncomfortable? I'm not claiming it's biblically wrong but I don't think it's a good idea, in a different post I remember you even said your husband doesn't go shirtless around anyone but your family. Or have you changed on that? And although most women aren't visually stimulated most women will agree that they like a mans muscles. And I've also read a lot on modesty when trying to figure out the biblical standard for it, and although it may never say being shirtless is immodest I've seen Christian girls say shirtless men with muscles are a stumbling block for them, wouldn't it be better to help those girls rather than add to it? Its not a stumbling block for me personally but I can see how it would be for other girls, just as the world emphasizes a man's muscles with their terms such as "beach bod". I love your blog and will continue reading but my husband will have to check before I can read about your vacation because of this, and also your comment to the man above kindly saying to have discretion and just trying to protect his wife was rather disrespectful, no women don't have to obey every man I know it's just our own husband's but we are to give men respect and you weren't respectful at all towards him, he sounded humble and not at all mean so to respond that way doesn't seem right. For me if another woman responded to my husband like that I would be upset for her lack of respect. I hope yall have a great year may God bless your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amber, if seeing a shirtless man is not a stumbling block for you personally, why make such a big deal about it? Why have your husband check the blog first lest you see a very zoomed out photo of a shirtless man? If that is your preference, go for it, but my blog cannot accommodate the strange whims of every reader that I don't even know about. No, my husband has never claimed that being shirtless is wrong, or inappropriate. Heavens, we don't even think breastfeeding without a cover is wrong! Sure, it would seem trashy in certain circumstances, just as wearing flip flops to a black tie gala would, but the beach is hardly such a case.

      And no, the Bible never tells women to be respectful to men in general. In fact, we are NOT supposed to be a respecter of persons. Richard was not being humble, he was being sanctimonious about trying to impose his opinions. Opinions that, as you yourself admit, are not based on the Bible, while accusing me of being inappropriate and in violation of God's law ("unbiblical"). I would be upset if my husband corrected someone else's wife, which is not his responsibility at all. He'd deserve whatever answer he gets after himself first stepping out of his line of authority.

      I always find it funny when people tell us how much they love the preaching, love this blog, love what we stand for, and then they want to write us about every tiny petty issue they find wrong with us, especially when that issue is not a sin. Do you agree with any human being 100%? Do you feel the need to get everyone to agree with you on petty issues? I don't. By all means, never look at shirtless men, but you can't build a doctrine on that.

      Delete
    2. Good response. The majority of us understand that the pastor would not preach at church shirtless, and neither should he jump off a cliff in a suit.

      Delete
    3. Honestly, I already find the whole idea that married men are the victims of their crazed sex drives creepy. To then go even further and project that view onto women, who are far less visual, to where suddenly the husband is worried about his wife lusting after a grainy, blurry, faraway picture of a bare-chested man is a thought process I just cannot and don't want to follow.

      Delete
    4. Insecurity, perhaps? That's my guess, anyways.

      Delete
  7. I love your blog & your families' ministry. Your responses to these "holier than thou" folks are perfect. I have so enjoyed reading about your trip & am happy you had a good time & are home safe. I feel oddly close with your family (probably due to this blog & watching all your husband's sermons ;)), especially since Boaz & my daughter have close birthdays and you & I are both pregnant with only a few weeks difference. I want you to know that your husband "saved" me, which in turn has changed our ENTIRE life! I'm very grateful, as I often wonder if my babies (2 + one OTW) would've ever found Christ otherwise (not necessarily assuming they will, but having Godly parents and a Christ-centered home probably helps)! Anyways, I love yall & pray for your family frequently!

    God Bless!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment, I am so happy for you!

      Delete
  8. First off i made a big deal of it because i know your blog caters to mostly women so why on earth would you not take into consideration how it may make some of your readers feel to see that? It's in no way petty to have brought the subject up, if you had posted one small far away blurry picture of him shirtless yes it would be petty of me but you put up multiple pictures that aren't all blurry according to my husband, and he said once he clicked the pictures they showed up super clear. Wouldn't it make you uncomfortable seeing your pastor shirtless back when yall went to hyles? Besides that how are we to know you see no problem with your husband being shirtless around other women? Me and the other man's wife came to your blog excited and happy to read about your trip and found multiple pictures of your husband that were inappropriate in our opinions. I never thought it would be a problem because I specifically remember you saying your husband wasn't shirtless around other people.
    That may be you're opinion but from what I've seen of the women in the bible they respected men (good Christians) it's not as if he were out stepping his bounds telling you how to be a mother, he just said how it would be best if you didn't put shirtless pictures up and my husband and I agree.
    Its funny how you try to equate woman's breast when breastfeeding as equal to a man's chest! Breasts are in no way shape or form ever equal to a man being shirtless, if we're to be modest at all times why does that rule suddenly fly out the window because of breastfeeding? I breastfed my now 10 month old son exclusively till he was a little over 6 months and he wanted solids and I've continued to breastfeed even tho I'm expecting our second child now! I always feed him before we leave so I won't have to feed him while out, if we're to be keepers at home why would we be out so often that we'd need to publicly breastfeed anyway? And I'm totally for public breastfeeding as long as there is no skin exposed, I don't see how it is ever ok to show your entire breast just to feed a child, most of the time I feed my son pretty much covered without trying to my shirt just falls to cover me ( and this is while feeding him in the house with just my husband home)
    Also what about the times when a baby will continuously pop off the breast to look around leaving you completely exposed? Yes God created us to be able to nourish our children and I agree that it's how it should be done but I don't agree that it's ever right to feed a child completely exposed, even you have said in posts about being discreet with it, and you never show skin while doing it and I have no problem what so ever with that, but I know you'll disagree with me on that.
    But anyways you're entitled to your opinion, and I know there are certain things in the Bible that people interpret differently. You have every right to post whatever pictures you think are ok and I'll just have more discretion when reading your blog, hope there's no ill will between us :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The issue of breastfeeding came up to prove that my husband cannot possibly believe or have taught that the upper body is nakedness, when we have always openly stated that breastfeeding uncovered is not a sin, because sin is the transgression of the law, and no such law exists in the Bible.

      I am not even going to address the breastfeeding argument beyond that, as I have extensively blogged about it, and there are sermons dating as far back as 2006 on the topic. Clearly, that is where your issue truly lies. Go ahead and nurse only in a tent, that is your right. But you cannot impose that view on others because you again have no scriptural basis. I know it sucks when you're pointed out as being wrong, and the Bible won't back you up, but getting flustered and digging in just makes you look childish in addition to lacking discernment.

      If you find yourself attracted to other men and teetering on the brink of immorality when you encounter a shirtless one, you probably have a bad marriage. And why would your husband zoom in??? To see how bad it really is??? When I see something I find questionable, I scroll past it. You don't even realize how ridiculous you both sound. Why are you telling me you are in danger of lusting after my husband because you saw his chest? Don't you realize that reflects poorly on YOU, not on me? There is absolutely nothing inherently more attractive about his chest than any other part of his body. Other women could find his calves, or his hands, feet, eyes, chin attractive - the list is endless. Don't lust after other men is the answer, not for me to dress him head to toe.

      "Give instruction to a wise man, and he will be yet wiser: teach a just man, and he will increase in learning." (Prov. 9:9)

      Delete
  9. Last thing sorry, all our arguments and everyone elses comments aside why advocate to show more flesh? The bible never talks about showing more flesh as a good thing. And I may not have a specific bible verse but neither do you in favor of a man being shirtless in front of other women being okay in the bible, especially a pastor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are not "our" arguments - I was blogging my vacation, and you came on here arguing your opinions without any scriptural basis, something you are not justified in doing. I have a verse for you: "Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand." (Romans 14:4)

      To answer your question: no, you cannot just have this attitude of "unless the Bible says it's right, it's automatically wrong!" The burden of proof is on the Bible to say that something is wrong, it is otherwise assumed to be neutral or right. Nor am I under some mandate to conform my standards to the lowest common denominator of any reader, so as to please everyone. By that logic, I should never show pictures of my head uncovered or of my legs above my ankle, never talk about Christmas or birthdays, not post recipes containing pork, and the list goes on. There are Christians who think any of the above are wrong. But guess what? The responsibility is on them to choose where they go and what they read based on these opinions, it is not my responsibility to coddle them all.

      I have nothing more to say unto you. Clearly, you have a strong opinion on this matter, and by all means - more power to you on your personal standards. But I will not publish any other comments from you continuing to argue your point, as you are totally out of bounds and yet digging in.

      Delete
    2. With our children, we tell them often, 'This is our belief, according to the Bible. Not every family believes this, and it doesn't make them less of a Christian. Every family is different.' It would be wise if all Christians stopped trying to impose *their standards and convictions on everyone else. Your blog. You can post whatever pictures you like, no one is being forced to read or see it. I suspected you would get backlash when you posted the pictures, because people are....well, people. I am also a pastor's wife, I know how it is. :) I am not offended seeing a man without his shirt. If it 'turns me on', (which it doesn't) I can always go hunt down my husband...now, that would be something he might like....hah!

      Delete
  10. Your blog is a delight; the pictures are great, and appropriate. Don't sweat the criticism. Now, on to Day 6! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Some things are not "wrong", unless they meet the criteria in Romans:

    Romans 14:13-23King James Version (KJV)

    13 Let us not therefore judge one another any more: but judge this rather, that no man put a stumblingblock or an occasion to fall in his brother's way.

    14 I know, and am persuaded by the Lord Jesus, that there is nothing unclean of itself: but to him that esteemeth any thing to be unclean, to him it is unclean.

    15 But if thy brother be grieved with thy meat, now walkest thou not charitably. Destroy not him with thy meat, for whom Christ died.

    16 Let not then your good be evil spoken of:

    17 For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost.

    18 For he that in these things serveth Christ is acceptable to God, and approved of men.

    19 Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another.

    20 For meat destroy not the work of God. All things indeed are pure; but it is evil for that man who eateth with offence.

    21 It is good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor any thing whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak.

    22 Hast thou faith? have it to thyself before God. Happy is he that condemneth not himself in that thing which he alloweth.

    23 And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin.

    I enjoy your blog. In Christ's love,

    Melanie Escojeda

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well that escalated quickly!! Lol
    We just think it's great pastor Anderson is still so fit and healthy enough to climb those walls and boulders!!


    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for sharing your wonderful trip! I am looking for talented event planner for my son’s birthday party as want to celebrate his birthday at an exotic location like Hawaii or maybe some venues in NYC. Hopefully, will book one soon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks like such a refreshing vacation, being surrounded by natural surroundings and eating fresh food. Seems like a world away from big cities and towns! Glad you and Pastor Anderson enjoyed your well deserved break.

    ReplyDelete

Your KINDLY WORDED, constructive comments are welcome, whether or not they express a differing opinion. All others will be deleted without second thought.