Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Just a couple of quick glimpses

Summer has finally arrived in Phoenix, with temps about 40 degrees higher than they were just a month ago. With that comes daily playtime in the pool for the kids for an hour or two. And lots of ice cream, smoothies, and the like. No summer break from school in sight for at least June, as we are a bit behind thanks to an extensive Christmas break, and the kids spending much time at the office with Dad lately helping him ship DVDs around the country for his "states projects."


My husband was featured in the June edition of Phoenix magazine. I will leave you to guess if it was the "Summer Getaways," "Beer Guide," "Photo Contest" or "Church of Hate" article advertised on the front cover.


Phoenix Magazine typically rotates each month between reporting on the best doctors, hikes, eats, or other local offerings. This month, evidently, they decided to feature the best church in the Valley!
 

For the record, the photographer specifically instructed him to look serious, and not to smile. My husband smiled anyway, but none of those pics made it in. That picture, of course, is just priceless.

Speaking of priceless, then there is Bo. At almost 13 months old, he is starting to walk. Or rather, run - evidently excited about this new step. Which often lands him splattered on the tile (ouch!). He has three teeth now, and a whole lot of personality, which includes being a very picky eater. Like, seriously picky. He does like these grain-free black bean brownies, especially smothered in fresh cream.


No babies were injured during this photo shoot on the kitchen counter. I did get stabbed with that fork a few times, and I think it was intentional. Also, you can see three sad, neglected figures left in the front yard for the 60 seconds it took me to snap a few pics. You know, because I couldn't well leave the baby on the counter to open the screen door. 

 "Should I eat some more?"

 "Sure, why not!"


Then there is this little Anna, my baby girl. Such a sweet age! I just want her to stay like this forever. She loves her dolly, and is a great mommy to her. And she allows me to take pictures of her, which is always appreciated. 




Based on the photographic evidence, I must conclude that Anna took this picture of Becky on my big girl camera, a major no-no. Still funny though. This Becky is just a sweet little nutcase, and oh so precocious!



The kittens will be four weeks old tomorrow. They are super cute! The kids have fittingly nicknamed them "Salt" and "Pepper" and I am asked daily if we can keep them both. Becky keeps telling me she is a "cat lady" - okay then! She certainly is crazy enough to play that part. 

 

The mommy cat has become even sweeter and more cuddly since having the babies. She is also a very good mommy. The kids all enjoy watching her teach the kittens how to explore the house, play fight with her, etc. I'm afraid I am starting to sound like a cat lady myself. Actually, my grandparents in Hungary often had kittens on their little farm, and I just LOVED playing with them. Another time, I was supposed to have been at kindergarten, but had pitched a screaming fit at the bus stop until my mom gave in and took me to work with her instead. When I got bored at the office, she sent me to the house of a nearby friend, who had little kittens. When it was time to go back to the office, I took the lady up on the offer of keeping a kitten, and played with it at the office the whole rest of the day. To my dismay, my mom did not let me keep the kitten, as it was gone the next day. As an adult I more than understand why kids cannot take in every pet that comes their way, but I am also thankful for the ability to allow our kids a lot of pets, since it's an opportunity to practice responsibility, and we are home and able to care for them daily.

Nothing spectacular or particularly exciting going on, just our normal crazy life. Hope you are enjoying your summer, and your summer break if you are having one.





19 comments:

  1. That's actually not a bad picture of your husband in that magazine......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool photo of pastor Anderson!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's funny because when you read comments on YouTube people are always like your husband looks like Jack from Lost or some famous person. I never really see it. I just see pastor Anderson. But I just found a hilarious comment on his sermon video "Playing the Whore"! It reads:

    "I think I like Justin Timberlake better when he's singing. I don't think this preaching thing suits him..."

    Hahaha!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband and I have always thought he looked like Jack from Lost. Dead ringer.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for this post , you have a wonderful family. My husband and I just love to listen to your husband messages. Thank you for all you do. And thank you too pastor Anderson. Have a bless day ��

    ReplyDelete
  5. Church of hate. That's hilarious. And, I literally laughed out loud when I spotted the three forlorn figures at the screen door. So funny!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope this request isn't double posted! My daughter read the article, and wanted me to ask if your husband would let her have his list of verses that show God doesn't love everybody, please? Thank you, and thanks to him in advance if he grants her request.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Please spay/neuter your cats, there is no need for any more in the Phoenix area. If you are using your pets to teach your children responsibility, spay/neuter is part of being a responsible pet owner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you the cat police or something?

      Delete
  8. I love seeing how easy and fun you make parenting look! You have such a beautiful family!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing about the article in the magazine. I just finished reading it. I enjoyed it. I thought they did a good job and were not nasty.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love all the pictures!! Little Bo is a darling. And what sweet kitties you have - beautiful! I'm sure they are a joy to the family!!

    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  11. Could you please share the grain free black bean brownie recipe sometime? They look yummy and sound healthy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://www.wholehealthymama.com/?recipe=grain-free-brownies-s

      Delete
    2. Thank you! I will have to give them a try soon. :)

      Delete
  12. I thought the article was well written and surprisingly unbiased. It makes our family that much more excited to visit your church one day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. When are you getting your cats spayed/neutered?

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOL zsuszanna. You're hilarious.(" I did get stabbed with that fork a few times, and I think it was intentional")

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm surprised the article wasn't that bad!

    ReplyDelete

Your KINDLY WORDED, constructive comments are welcome, whether or not they express a differing opinion. All others will be deleted without second thought.