Tuesday, May 5, 2015

A glimpse into today

The kids and I finally finished putting the garden in - yay! We are only growing a handful of fail-proof, heat resistant crops - cukes and zukes, some basil, a couple of melons. Hopefully, we will be able to harvest a crop. Some years, we do. Other years - not at all. This spring/summer has been the mildest, coolest, and rainiest we have ever seen here, and many others have told me the same.  I am hopeful God is changing the climate in our neck of the woods on a macro level, and this desert will soon be lush and green all the time! :)



I will open rivers in high places, and fountains in the midst of the valleys: I will make the wilderness a pool of water, and the dry land springs of water.
(Isa 41:18)


In other news, our cat Ninja is in labor today. The kids are pretty stoked, and did not want to go to P.E. this morning lest they miss the birth. Of course, I still sent all of them, because I figure it will take a while yet and I enjoy those 2+ hours of complete silence each week while their Dad takes them. I did let Becky stay home because she is our "cat lady," and was ***so*** wanting to be here in case the kittens came this morning.





Lately, now that he is getting to be so big, even Boaz has been going to P.E. Can you believe he is going to be 1 tomorrow?? How did that happen? If the weather holds, we will be going peach picking for his birthday. If it's hot again, maybe we'll do the lake instead. 

Well, all the kids are growing up. One of the things we want to do in the next few months while we discontinue most school work is to hone their cooking skills. The older boys are comfortable making a number of dishes, but the girls are just starting. It would be nice to completely pass off the cooking to a team of able and willing budding chefs! 



I found this book at my local bookstore, Changing Hands, and cannot recommend it enough. Not as crazy zany as some kids cookbooks (which I find distracting and confusing), but with clear, illustrated, step-by-step directions that help the visual learners or those that are still learning to read.



Even just by reading through them, I can tell the recipes are delicious. It's like Pioneer Woman for kids! BTW, if you have connections to her (as I doubt she read here...) - can you put in a request to her to make a kids' cookbook? Please??

Just in the last 24 hours, the oldest five kids have marked up the book with recipes they want to try, and Miriam made dessert last night, and Isaac breakfast this morning. 



When I went online to leave a positive review on Amazon, it said the book has not yet been released, so I'm not sure why my bookstore already had it on the shelf. However, it's coming out in just a couple of days everywhere else. If you need a gift, or have been looking for a kids' cookbook, you will love this one! 

Have a blessed week!


14 comments:

  1. Happy labor-day to your little pussy cat! :)

    Gardening - I am a newbie gardener, and I thought our planting seasons were October and February. Do we have a third growing season that I didn't know about? Ack! I need to take some gardening classes!!

    Love hearing your updates when you have time for sharing! :)
    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just another reason to homeschool: http://www.theolympian.com/2015/05/06/3714367/lacey-school-increases-supervision.html -Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks like a great cookbook! I love DK so I am definitely going to try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You blog is always an encouragement. I wonder if you'll be posting some of the progress you've made with the Trim Healthy Mama plan anytime soon? Would be a blessing to hear about that.

    Thanks, God bless and my love to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE that you want all of the children to learn how to cook at least one thing. I think its really handy when a husband knows how to whip up like one or two things when his wife is unable to provide meals.
    Congrats on the extra kitties! Also love that you are gardening, I can't wait to see all of that in bloom ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Please consider spaying your cat. The shelters are full of kittens and adult cats needing homes. I had a visit to a "kill" shelter last week, and it broke my heart to see the animals awaiting euthanasia.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the cookbook recommendation. I bought it for my kids who love helping me in the kitchen. I love that it doesn't focus on "kid" food and instead just teaches kids to make regular food. I've always believed that kids should be taught to eat the same foods as grown-ups and many kid cookbooks I've tried focus more on things like cutting hot dogs into octopuses than imparting actual cooking skills. And the recipes do look delicious! I'm as excited as my kids to try many of them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute cat! Love that cook book! Can't wait to see your garden!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yall family is filled with love joy excitement and Godliness. Hopefully one day I have a family with those characteristics, I pray I do.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have you seen this story?
    https://m.facebook.com/MyBlessedLittleHomestead?refsrc=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FMyBlessedLittleHomestead
    Your thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good luck with your garden! I always enjoy planting. Since I live in IL I wait until the end of May to plant my annuals.

    PS your youngest has the same birthday as my ex-husband.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just curious...is there any reason you didn't have your vet spay your cat?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Totally with you on the weather. We've been taking blankets out with us in the evenings as it has been in the 60s with a chilly wind in the evenings until just a couple days ago. I still only have the Windows open today ...no AC. Can't believe it! I secretly hope the climate would change here also...I say secretly, because I always felt foolish for hoping that...but now I don't, so thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Your KINDLY WORDED, constructive comments are welcome, whether or not they express a differing opinion. All others will be deleted without second thought.