Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Peanut butter cups

Surprisingly often, I get asked about what particular brand of peanut butter cups my husband enjoys eating, as this is something he mentions in his sermons regularly. 

For those of you who don't know, my husband enjoys long distance running, and has found that peanut butter cups are the perfect fuel to keep him going without weighing him down.

The standard Reese's peanut butter cups contain synthetic preservatives, conventional soy, and questionable emulsifiers, and are therefore a "thanks-but-no-thanks" item around here. In looking for healthier alternatives, we have found the following to be delicious wholesome versions of this sweet treat:

- Newman's Own organic peanut butter cups: available in milk, dark, and super dark version. My husband likes dark the best, but will have the other varieties occasionally to mix things up a bit. Each pack contains three small-ish cups, which is nice for sharing. Or portion control. Or neither if you just want to eat them all :) Azure Standard carries these, which is always a nice plus, since their price is the best.



- Justin's organic peanut butter cups, available in milk, dark, and white version. You can buy either a big box with small, individually-wrapped PB cups, or 1.4 oz packages that are comparable in size to Reese's. We prefer the latter because they travel better, though the first is available at our Costco, and is also perfect for a very reasonably sized treat to enjoy at home. Again, dark is our first choice, though milk is certainly just as  delicious. If you are doing THM, one small individually wrapped dark chocolate cup only has 5g of sugar, and can thus stand in for a little S treat.



Both of these can be found at your local Whole Foods, or on Amazon. I have found the price on Justin's to be best in store at Whole Foods lately, as they are on sale there, and get an additional 10% off when we buy a whole "case", which is just 12 packs of PB cups.

Hope this helps someone in need of a good treat. No peanut butter cups were harmed during the writing of this post (eating them doesn't count though, right)?




5 comments:

  1. Thank you! I'm going to get a package of these for my husband for Father's Day! :)
    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prepackaged is probably best for a runner's snack, but for a treat, these are really really easy to make at home, with healthier ingredients...we use dark chocolate and sunbutter instead of peanut butter due to allergies and cut down a bit on the sugar. We make small cups with a candy mold and huge ones for special occasions in muffin tins. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've just sat here reading your blog, in particular your 'kitchen' blog posts....I don't know how you do everything you do. It's encouraging but depressing at the same time. Depressing because it puts me to shame, encouraging because it can be done- I guess. Cooking from scratch, organic purchases, homemade goodies, homeschooling your kids...I feel so inadequate

    ReplyDelete
  4. My aunt makes these herself in like a 13x9 pan I believe. It's basically a layered bar type candy that are cut in squares, which makes it easy, quick, and of course you can vary the sizes for little ones or mommy-sized ones. When I tasted them, I was amazed how identical to Reese's they were in texture (the grainy texture is achieved by graham cracker crumbs I believe). They are even better tasting though, due to better chocolate, etc. Really good. If they were made layer style in a pan, I bet it's much cheaper to make a lot...in fact I need to make some. My aunt's were so good, but I never got around to asking for the recipe. A few weeks ago, I somehow stumbled upon a youtube video of a girl that opened a reeses and it was FULL of maggets or worms of some kind ... EEEWWWW!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've made individual peanut butter cups for family and friends over the past few years. I've adjusted the sugar content and use organic smooth peanut butter teamed with dark chocolate. It's a time consuming job so I usually get the kids involved, which can lead to more being eaten than made, but it's lots of fun and makes for great family time.

    ReplyDelete

Your KINDLY WORDED, constructive comments are welcome, whether or not they express a differing opinion. All others will be deleted without second thought.