Friday, March 20, 2015

A Little Getaway

My husband was invited to preach at Verity Baptist Church in Sacramento, California last month. My mother-in-law very generously offered to travel out to Arizona the week before, so she could stay at our house and watch the kids, and my husband and I could both travel to California and make a little getaway out of the trip. This was only the second time in almost 15 years of marriage that we have been able to get away without the kids, so this was very special treat. We did bring little Boaz along, since he is still nursing, and has never been apart from me for more than just a couple of hours at a time.

We left Wednesday night immediately after my husband finished preaching the midweek service at our church. In fact, if you watched the sermon live, you may have noticed that the order of service was switched up, and the service a little shorter than usual, in order for us to make it to the airport in plenty of time. 

Several months ago, both of us had signed up for the TSA PreCheck and obtained trusted traveler numbers, which allowed us to be able to skip the naked body scanner and/or a grope-down. You can also leave your shoes on, don't have to take your laptop out of its case, skip to the head of the security line, etc. If you have avoided flying because of the intrusions and inconveniences, you may want to look into this program. While it is not guaranteed that you won't be patted down, it is unlikely. On the flight back home, the metal detector security gate was roped off, and everyone was being sent through the naked body scanner. When we walked up with "PreCheck" on our boarding passes, they opened the metal detector just for us. Totally worth it, if you ask me!

Anyhow, we arrived at our hotel close to midnight from Wednesday to Thursday. We spent the entire day Thursday with my husband's family, most of which live in the Sacramento area. I hadn't been there since 2009, so it was great getting to see everyone again, and meeting my youngest nephew for the first time. 



That's my husband's older brother and his Dad, with a couple of our older nephews in the background. His younger sister and our newest nephew are in the middle.



Wild hand gestures run in the family... :)





Thursday night, my husband preached, and we stayed at church very late talking with our friends, Pastor and Mrs. Jimenez, and their church members. If you have not yet heard the sermon, you can watch it here:





On Friday, we leisurely got up and ready, and left town to spend Friday and Saturday at Lake Tahoe. The weather was absolutely amazing, considering this is a ski resort and it was February. (Those who love skiing would probably disagree on this point - ha!) 

We spent the afternoon riding rented bikes down by the lake, strolling through Heavenly Village and having Victorian-style photos take of us, picking out souvenirs for the kids at home, and having dinner at a really great place called Fire and Ice, which happened to be located inside our hotel. Thanks to Priceline, we had scored a room at the super fancy Marriott Timber Lodge for about 30% of the going rate for Friday night. Woohoo!

Bo in the bike trailer


Becky asked me today, "Mom, did you take any selfies when you were on your trip?" Ha - kids these days!







As it turned out, Bo was the perfect little travel companion. He hardly ever cried on the entire trip, and just generally went along nicely with whatever we were doing. When we brought baby Stephen along on our last getaway, he was quite the pill the whole time, and didn't lighten up again until we got back home, so this was a welcome change of pace. 

Sleeping angel


  He really enjoyed exploring this little cave again and again.



We got home Saturday evening just in time to tuck the kids into bed. This was such a wonderful trip, and we made lots of great memories. I am so thankful for my mother-in-law, who volunteers to run our family circus and allow us time away as a couple. Anything without all the kids would have been relaxing, but this was an especially awesome trip.






21 comments:

  1. Beautiful, creative and fun photos of everyone! And you're looking especially healthy; proof that your food diet that you often and kindly share is a good way to eat. So glad you had a special trip and arrived home safely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that your husband loves to hold the baby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always find it odd that people say things like this. Why would he NOT enjoy holding his child?

      I'm sorry to be on my soap box but it just irks me that people like to act amazed and awed at a father holding his child (and *gasp* enjoying it)

      ---your trip looks and sounded splendid.

      Delete
    2. I so agree Loren! Other moms used to be amazed that my husband 'babysat' on his day off so I could volunteer at the school my older child attended. How do you babysit your own kids?

      Fun long-weekend! ~ Traci

      Delete
    3. He is a great baby holder. Not just with our babies, but also other babies in the family. He knows it's an easy way for him to really take a load off mom.

      Delete
    4. Loren, not taking things for granted that might seem like "yeah, duh!" is one great way to have happy relationships with others. And yes, there are plenty of husbands who do not enjoy holding their babies. Just because they SHOULD doesn't mean they do.

      Delete
    5. I know there are a lot of men that don't enjoy their children. It's just sad to me that they don't. My own husband got on one of his coworkers because they asked him if he "babysat" our children. My husband retorted that he does not babysit; he fathers our children.

      Delete
  3. Love the photos of you and little Boaz!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad that you were able to go on a little getaway with your husband. Looks like you had a great time. Thank you for sharing this with us, readers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely trip & a very handsome family

    Shelby

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like you had a well deserved break/getaway. Glad you enjoyed it. Boaz is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Praise the Lord! I love to see couples so happy and content serving the Lord together in oneness of heart! I bet your husband's family is so proud of you two in your love for the things of God. Boaz is just growing so fast!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You look very happy - it's so nice to get away, especially to such a beautiful place! And your husband's brother looks JUST LIKE HIM!!! Wow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right??!? My husband thinks they look nothing alike, but to me, the older they get, the more alike they look.

      Delete
  9. You don't need to publish my comment, but please at least read it. I gasped when I saw the pic of your precious baby sleeping between two pillows. As a foster mom that has to follow a strict regimen of rules when it comes to sleeping babies, could I please caution you. Babies can suffocate in blankets and bumper pads, but most especially in pillows. I'm so sorry that you lost your other twin, (The first time I was pregnant with twins I miscarried both my twins, in another pregnancy I gave birth to my son Thomas -means twin- but lost his identical brother) I am not trying to be rude, simply trying to prevent a possible preventable tragedy from occurring in your family. I admit that I do not agree with everything that you and your husband do, but I do enjoy seeing the creative things you do with your children. I am the mom to 6 kids so can appreciate the juggle that requires on a daily basis.
    Again, delete this if you want, but please be careful with your little man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment. I thought it was important to publish, because others could benefit from it, too.

      I also wanted to clarify that we put those pillows around Bo while we were awake and watching him, after he went down to nap on our bed, to keep him from rolling off the bed.

      Delete
  10. Your family is beyond lovely. I love hearing about all the Anderson family adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Zsu! Are you still doing Trim Healthy Mama? Your face is literally glowing!
    Also that photo of you and baby bo infront of the water is gorgeous! I'm glad you and your husband found the time to get some rest and relaxation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am, but not for all meals. I typically do well all day, but cave in around the afternoon or evening. I still feel great, so that works for me.

      Delete

Your KINDLY WORDED, constructive comments are welcome, whether or not they express a differing opinion. All others will be deleted without second thought.