Thursday, October 9, 2014

Cheesecake Recipe (THM, whole foods, grain and gluten free)

Cheesecake has got to be one of my favorite desserts. As a child, I was put off by the name - it's the same in German, and to my childish mind, eating a cake made of cheese didn't sound appealing at all. But once I tried it, I was hooked.

Since I am following the "Trim Healthy Mama" plan to get back to pre-pregancy weight, I wanted to come up with a version that was grain free (i.e. no graham cracker crust), and used only low glycemic sweeteners in moderate amounts, while not compromising taste. (Please note: I follow THM without using any of the funky "on plan" sweeteners.)

In addition, I did not just want to create a cheesecake substitute, but rather something that was delicious in its own right. A cheesecake that would convert those who were not yet fans of it.

Not to be singing my own praises, but this did come out pretty awesome, as confirmed by my ravenous in-home taste testers. It certainly doesn't taste like I am missing out on anything. The crust in particular was simply delicious. I like it better than the traditional graham cracker crust. 

And - hold on to your hats - I even created a recipe card at the end of this post to make it easier to print the recipe. At least that's what I hope it will do. I am not exactly computer savvy, and if there is an easy recipe plug-in for Blogger, I have yet to find it, so I made a recipe card instead that can be printed as an image. Please share your feedback with me on this. Is this working for you? Does it help?

Cheesecake 
(THM, whole foods, grain and gluten free, paleo)


Pie Crust (adapted from the Coconut Pie Crust in this book, which I highly recommend)

3/4 cup blanched almond flour
3/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
1 tbsp coconut sugar
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 cup coconut oil
1 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 

Toast the coconut in a pan over medium heat until fragrant and just turning golden. It seems like this is an unnecessary step, but it really does bring out the flavors of the coconut so much more, and it only takes a few minutes during which time you can measure out the other ingredients. 

Combine the almond flour, coconut, salt, and coconut sugar in a bowl; mix well. 

If the coconut oil is solid, melt over low heat. Stir into dry mixture along with the vanilla extract.


Press the crumbly pie crust mixture into a 9-inch springform pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 7-10 minutes until crust is set and golden. Turn oven down to 325 degrees.




Filling

2 - 8 oz blocks of cream cheese at room temperature
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup raw, unfiltered honey (local is best)

For the filling, I just reused the bowl from the crust mix - it caused no issues whatsoever and saved a dish, so feel free to do the same :)


Beat all filling ingredients well until smooth (a stick blender works best). Pour over pie crust, and bake at 325 degrees for about 40 minutes until the middle is set.

 


Carefully remove cheesecake from oven, and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Then, carefully run a butter knife along the edge between the cake and the springform pan; then open the pan and remove the outer ring.

Cool the cheesecake to room temperature, then move to the fridge for several hours or overnight to set completely. Enjoy!

(Makes 8 servings. If you are following the THM plan, this is an S dessert)


http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-YhnGBkSzdZY/VDa3Ms9p-OI/AAAAAAAAKis/3hF3Ytf1Sis/s1600/cheesecake.jpg

And - another exciting techy update: I have simplified my blog address to www.stevenandersonfamily.com, which will automatically redirect you to my page on Blogger here.

15 comments:

  1. Just because I was interested (and I love cheesecake) I plugged in the recipe in my fitness pal (online weight loss thing that is free and much like weight watchers as far as the tracking capabilities etc) and then I went to a popular cheese cake restaurant (online) to compare calories. ---I will add that I just kind of picked random brands of things while inputting to MFP but i stayed true to organic items for the most part. Per serving, your cheesecake is 439 per serving. (based on 8 servings). At the popular cheesecake place, a piece of plain cheesecake is 710 calories (I will concede that I do not know how big their slices are)

    Thanks for posting. I will be trying this and let you know my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THM is not based on calorie counting, which is what makes it so wonderful and easy. :)

      Delete
    2. I know THM isnt...but not everyone follows THM...and Im sure that some would be interested to know that the recipe is fairly low in calories as far as Cheesecakes go......cheeeeeese cake.....yummmmmm.

      Delete
  2. Hey, good recipe. I did want to point out it's not paleo however. Lacto-Paleo, sure, but strict paleo has no dairy and cream cheese is dairy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for pointing that out, I did not know that. The recipe and blog post have been corrected. :)

      Delete
  3. I was wondering if I could sub almond meal/flour for the coconut flakes in the crust? Thanks, looks yummy and I can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried, but I would imagine you could. There are lots of pie crust recipes that only use almond flour.

      However, it's the coconut flakes that make this crust so delicious, so I don't recommend the sub just taste-wise ;)

      Delete
  4. Thanks for this recipe, my husband and I were just talking about cheesecake being a low carb dessert! On a total side note we noticed on Sanderson 1611 YouTube that the channels subscription page has changed drastically, as in a ton of new channels, some of it ungodly pro homo stuff. I was worried that maybe it had been hacked, there used to be very few subscriptions and now over 100. Just wanted to give a heads up without drawing a bunch of attention in a public comment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks delicious! Your not wanting to eat cheesecake as a child reminds me of when my son was little and absolutely refused to eat fruit salad. One day he saw me making it and wanted to know where the "salad" was, which in his 4 year old mind was lettuce. When I told him there was no "salad" he immediately wanted some. He has loved fruit salad ever since. ~ Traci

    ReplyDelete
  6. It printed perfectly, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Would you be amenable to posting what a day of eating THM is like for you? I am intrigued by the idea of NOT counting calories while eating enough to satisfy. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You could call it Primal with honey though, like marksdailyapple.com stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We tweaked this recipe a little and my daughter made it for me as a treat while I am resting with our sweet, new baby :-).
    To save time we skipped the crust.
    Used1/4 cup pumpkin, cut the honey to 1/4 cup and baked in ramkin dishes. Delicious!!!!
    We are going to try it with 1/8 cup honey.
    I was craving pumpkin :-). Want to come up with a lemon version.
    Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh man, I really shouldn't have read this post. ; ) I need to make that cheesecake now. My husband and I could actually eat that cheesecake without feeling bad about it. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Does anyone know how I can pin this recipe and how much sweet blend I should use to substitute for the coconut sugar?

    ReplyDelete

Your KINDLY WORDED, constructive comments are welcome, whether or not they express a differing opinion. All others will be deleted without second thought.