Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Raiding Krispy Kreme


I called our local branch to see if they were participating in this promo (they were), and also asked if there was a limit on how many free dozen doughnuts they were giving out per household. I was told we could have as many family members as we liked in pirate gear, and they would each get their own dozen; the record the previous year being 7 dozen for one family.


Practicing with wooden doughnuts

 I love this little dude :)


 Trying to look mean, in vain

You may wonder how we had so many pirate outfits ready to go. Much of it was stuff we already owned, because our kids love dressing up. The eye patches I sewed that morning. Other things were improvised. For example, Isaac's bandana is really the curtain from a puppet theater. 








While I had not planned on dressing my whole crew in pirate outfits (a couple dozen are enough to feed us all more than enough), I did kind of feel challenged by that record of 7, which was just screaming out for me to break it. And so it happened that last Friday morning, our field trip for the week became a raid on Krispy Kreme for free doughnuts, family fun, and lots of cool pictures.


Across the street from Krispy Kreme, Isaac noticed that one of my favorite stores, Ultimate Consignment, was going out of business - waaah!!! They were clearancing their merchandise at 80% off, so we headed there after getting the doughnuts. While we snagged some awesome deals, I did not realize until we got to the line for the registers that the wait was about 2 hours. Having dozens of fresh, warm doughnuts in the van, I figured we would boost everyone's morale waiting in line by having the kids go around with boxes of doughnuts and giving them out for free. Everyone thought it was fun, and it really was. 

 One of our finds on clearance was this play kitchen, brand new and still in the box, for $14.

We gave the other extra doughnuts away to people at church that night, where we were hosting a screening of "Después de la Tribulación", which is "After the Tribulation" in the newly released Spanish version. 

And if unlike us you are not sick of doughnuts yet, check out these cool instructions to make a set of doll-sized Krispy Kreme doughnuts



12 comments:

  1. A day to remember for sure! Think you'll be doing it again next year?

    How sweet of you to hand out Krispy Kreme's! I'm sure everyone appreciated that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow those are some great deals!! And now I'm really hungry for a doughnut...

    And I totally would've done the same thing to beat the record!

    -H. K.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! That is awesome picture of all you together! We had a great time dressing up for Krispy Kreme doughnuts too. We also gave them out to friends. Just a fun day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That kidcraft kitchen is well built (and $14?...that's a deal!) we have one similar. One suggestion I have tho is to somehow re-enforce where the doors connect with the walls (where the hardware is) If they lean on it (which....it happens) the particle board gives away. My daughter lost a door that way....(and while sad...just turned the "dishwasher" into a cabinet for storing dishes)

    Question...did you guys officially beat the record?

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful day you had--delicious too :)
    I just started following you on Pinterest and allowed found some of your recipes to make this weekend. My husband is very sick with stage 4 colon cancer and I haven't been cooking much in the last 6 months, but this week I suddenly feel the urge to cook some and your recipes appear for me and they all look good. :)
    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun day! Thank you for the giggle. My four boys loved the dress ups.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is one of the cutest things I've ever seen. The costumes are all great, but Anna's dress is especially adorable. Did you make it or buy it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. You guys look great!!! You are such a great and productive mom =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. How fun!
    FYI, Doughnuts freeze very well, too, in case you do it again next year, and there's no going out of business sales or church that day. ;-)

    I hope you don't mind my asking here, but does anyone know what happened to Candy?? (joyfulchristianhomemaking.com)? (You can edit this out if you don't want it on there.) Thanks!

    Love,
    Joy



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joy,

      I don't know, as I don't read her blog, but I am friends with her on Facebook and she is still online there, and all seems to be fine. Maybe she's taking a break from blogging? She's been known to do so from time to time.

      Blessings,
      Zsuzsanna

      Delete
  10. Thank you, Zsusanna!

    I'm glad it seems all is well. It seemed odd because she just started a series called the Role of a Woman, Part 1...and then, poof. Again, thanks for letting me know!

    Love,
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey zsu

    Thanks for helping out America. Fight the good fight.

    Blessings to you and your family

    ReplyDelete

Your KINDLY WORDED, constructive comments are welcome, whether or not they express a differing opinion. All others will be deleted without second thought.