Saturday, September 6, 2014

Four Months Old

Little Boaz is four months old today. As the saying goes, babies are such a wonderful way to start people! He certainly ranks top on the "wonderful" scale. 



Every day I look at him, he makes me laugh, he makes me cry, but most of all, he just makes me plain happy and thankful. Thankful to God for sparing his life, and thankful to the human instruments He used to do so.

 Kris, the nurse. She is super sweet and kind.

In August, our family took a short trip to Southern California. One of my main reasons for wanting to go was to take little Bo to the clinic where I had both of the life-saving procedures done while pregnant.

Dr. Chmait, the fetal surgeon
 

Dr. Chmait and his team are on the cutting edge of medical procedures performed on the tiniest of babies in utero, in an attempt to save their lives. It really is amazing to think that not only is possible to perform blood transfusions and other surgeries on unborn babies so small that they could completely fit inside the palm of one's hand, but that there are doctors willing to actually do it. That takes some serious nerves of steel! 

We were very fortunate to live within driving distance of one of the world's leading doctors in this highly specialized field. While the laser cured the boys of TTTS, the amniopatch allowed them to carry to full term in spite of my membranes rupturing at 18 weeks. This second procedure I underwent has only been carried out approx. 60 times the world over, by just a handful of physicians. The loss of baby Jachin was neither related directly to TTTS, nor the leaking membranes. So as far as Dr. Chmait is concerned, he saved both of our boys' lives twice, even though Jachin ultimately succumbed to unrelated issues with his cord and the placenta.


If you are a mom reading this because you have been given a diagnosis of TTTS or another complication that requires treatment in the womb, please let me assure you that you will be in the best of hands with Dr. Chmait and his team. I have rarely met people as compassionate and humble as these experts. Without them, Boaz would not be with us today. We will always be indebted and thankful to them for all they did for our family.


16 comments:

  1. You do need to be careful with these non-American doctors. Thank the Lord that you found a good one. Prayers be with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What in the world are you talking about??!?

    And why do you assume someone is not American because they are of a certain ethnicity??!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was probably trying to find a politically correct way to tell you to be careful with Muslims.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, I'm not buying into that hype.

      Delete
  3. Hi Zsuzsanna,

    I mean this as a genuine question does your experience with Dr Chmait mean you and your husband have changed your opinion on all male ob/gyn's being perverts?

    I have been listening to Pastor's sermons whilst I clean (it is wonderful to hear good preaching when I am working hard :) )

    I have a history of complicated pregnancies myself so for our 5 children (currently pregnant with number 5) I have had to have the help of an obstetrician and in my small town there is only a male. He does have a female nurse who does the ultrasounds etc but during labor he is the one who is there.

    I appreciate your blog and sharing your life.

    Prayers for your family

    Miriam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, of course not. Several points here:

      - Dr. Chmait is not an ob/gyn. He does not deliver babies, nor does he care for women in their childbearing years, beyond performing surgeries on their unborn children.

      - For sake of the argument, let's say he is an ob/gyn. That would not mean that being wrong in one area makes him incapable of ever doing anything right, or that we should not be thankful to him if we were benefited so greatly by his actions. If I were hurt in a serious accident, the lifestyle of the person rescuing me would have little bearing on the fact that they rescued me, and that I owe them a debt of gratitude. However, just because someone does something right, does not mean I suddenly condone of any and all of their lifestyle choices. I am simply grateful for the good they did.

      - God's laws exist to protect life. Most all of the time, ob/gyns see women during everyday, non-urgent appointments. This gives women the opportunity to find and choose a female - there is no life in danger there, no blood and guts. 99.9% of OBs do not go into the field because they have ambitions of saving mothers and babies - there are only a dozen or so fetal surgeons in the entire country. There are no female fetal surgeons that I am aware of in this country, and only a couple other docs who even offer the procedures we had done. Our only other alternative would have been virtually certain death for both babies. In case of an emergency, when there are only seconds to spare, and where there are no choices left, I'm happy for my loved ones or myself to be saved by anyone.

      Delete
  4. Zsuzsanna, I was wondering if you would care to reminisce a bit. During your eventful pregnancy, your posts got lots of encouraging comments and well wishes. Some of those well-wishers were people who aren't up to the standards set by your religion/way of thinking. (Me, for example.) How did/do feel about that? I read somewhere in your blog that you believe in absolutes and see life in terms of right or wrong, which strictly speaking means that some of those well-wishers were thoroughly evil people. I wonder if your experience with this pregnancy reaffirmed you in that vision of people or else made you reconsider.

    Please excuse my poor English. I hope my comment is more or less intelligible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course, I welcome the well-wishes of just about anyone. The only people I want nothing to do with are what the Bible calls "reprobates." Few fall into this category. While I certainly do believe in absolutes, that does not mean that I cannot be kind to and engage with unbelievers or those with differing opinions. The Bible tells us to love our neighbors, AND our enemies. The only people we are not to love are those who hate God (i.e. reprobates). It's people like us who wrongly get accused of being "intolerant", when we are more tolerant than most of 99% of the population. If you actually knew me in real life, you would know that I would treat you just as nice as a fellow Christian, even though I may disagree with you completely.

      Delete
  5. You have such a precious family! Thank goodness we have such wonderful doctors in this country.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are working that THM, you look great! So inspiring:-) glad little Bo is doing so well, and your family iswell. I know there is still the pain of loss and I pray for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it is wonderful that you were able to return to the clinic that helped save your boys. Little Boaz is adorable. All your children are beautiful. (Your oldest boys are really growing!). Your family continues to be in my prayers. Thanks for sharing. Tiffany F

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful post. I hope the doctor and his team have the opportunity to read your words. Praise God for their knowledge and expertise.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Praise the Lord for Baby Boaz =). You look great too =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are looking so fabulous! Are you taking orders for adult swim dresses-lol?? Those are so much more flattering and modern looking than the other modest swimwear choices available.

    ReplyDelete

Your KINDLY WORDED, constructive comments are welcome, whether or not they express a differing opinion. All others will be deleted without second thought.