Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Muffin in a Mug premix (THM Style S)


A sweet friend of mine got me hooked on "muffin in a mug" creations. They are so quick and versatile that they have become a daily staple for me. To make whipping one up even faster, I multiplied the recipe to make a premix that can be used without needing to pull various ingredients out of the cupboard.



Plain Version (S)
1 cup almond flour
1 cup flax meal
4 tsp baking powder
5 Tbsp coconut sugar
Mix all ingredients well. Store in an airtight container on the counter. Makes approx. 8 muffins.


Chocolate Version (S)
3/4 cup almond flour
3/4 cup flax meal
1/2 cup cocoa
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup coconut sugar
Mix all ingredients well. Store in an airtight container on the counter. Makes approx. 8 muffins.


To make a muffin, follow these steps:

 1. Get an oven-proof bowl or mug for your muffin.



2. Whisk together 1 egg and 1 Tbsp coconut oil in the bowl
 


3. Add 5 Tbsp of the premix, then add any additional flavors you would like. Below, I am making one plain muffin with blueberries and cinnamon added, and one chocolate muffin with chopped pecans. 



4. Bake 12-15 mins at 350 degrees. 


Alternatively, you could nuke these in the microwave for 1 minute. We don't have a microwave, because if we did, I would be tempted to use it. If you have one, feel free to go with that option. Attaining a healthy weight will yield more health benefits in the long run that not microwaving your food. Some have commented that the taste is better when baked rather than microwaved. I typically make my muffin while I am already using the oven for something else, such as toasting bread for breakfast, reheating leftovers, or making dinner.



5. Depending on the flavors you chose, top with a little butter, unsweetened whipped cream, or cream cheese.



Both of these versions are absolutely delicious! The berries make the muffin wonderfully moist, while the chocolate + nuts gives a feel of brownies. I have also made the plain version without any add-ins, and then topped it with lots of whipped cream and strawberries for a "strawberry shortcake" version. The combinations are limitless! For the record, a serving is ONE of these, not two. The second muffin was for Solomon, who loves eating THM style.
If you are in the market for a whipped cream maker, I have and highly recommend this one. Costco also sells it (as well as the necessary N2O cartridges) at their business-members-only locations.

To make a "bread in a mug" premix, use the plain recipe above, but omit the coconut sugar. When mixing it up, use 1 tsp (rather than 1 Tbsp) of coconut oil - other than that, the recipe is the same.

And can I just add how ***excited*** I am to be losing weight easily without counting calories, writing down everything I eat, going hungry, compromising my milk supply, or giving up healthy fats?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


If you are not familiar with THM, please click here to read my previous posts.
To buy the book, click here.
To read about my only misgivings about the program, click here

11 comments:

  1. I made the chocolate one for dessert tonight and it was good!! I couldnt believe it was healthy lol! I'll defiantly be making this again thanks for the recipe!:)
    H.K.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you have a small toaster oven so you're not using all that energy of a full-size oven for one or two muffins.

    Also my family's been making pre-mixes for years. It's not new or revolutionary, though I do like the kind of flours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Um, she said she makes these when she already has the oven on. Reading comprehension, it's a thing. And no, premixes aren't new, but I've always seen them for cookies, not for muffins. Good idea!

      Delete
  3. This sounds like a wonderful idea. Both of your muffins look really scrummy.

    Two (perhaps silly) questions:
    1. we are slightly sensitive to flax seed and flax meal, if one is not following the THM diet, would it work to substitute the flax meal with wheat or corn flour?
    2. what temperature do you use for the muffin cups, same baking time as ordinary muffins?

    I am going to buy a cream dispenser from amazon.co.uk now, I don't know how I could have lived this long without one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are wonderful looking desserts. Also, quite a mouthful, especially topped with 30+% fat whipping cream. Muffins, whipping cream, cookies are not the way to get slim. You can't have your cake and eat it too when it comes to losing weight, no matter what the scientific - if scientific at all - explanation behind it.
    Weight loss is attained by self control, serious sacrifices in the snack and dessert area, lots and lots and lots of proper exercise.
    Weight loss is a process that requires a serious amount of abnegation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess the thousands of us losing weight this way didn't get that memo. ;-)

      Delete
    2. Hahaha! Yea for THM!! Although, at the losing stage, it should be THM approved sweetener, not coconut sugar. Can't wait for the maintain stage! :-)

      Delete
  5. Are aerosol whips actually healthy?

    ReplyDelete
  6. What are the measurements for making one serving? I would like to try this out without making the whole mix. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How can I sub a sweetener instead of coconut sugar? Then how much base mix do I use to make the single muffin? Volume of sweeteners is less than sugar....

    ReplyDelete

Your KINDLY WORDED, constructive comments are welcome, whether or not they express a differing opinion. All others will be deleted without second thought.