Thursday, July 17, 2014

My personal gelato shop

My husband really is the greatest guy! 

For years, I had been wanting a compressor-style ice cream maker. Unlike machines that require the bowl to be frozen, those with their own compressor have a built-in freezer. This offers several advantages. For one, they can keep up with the Arizona heat and crank out a batch of firm ice cream even on the hottest summer days. More importantly, they can make batch after batch, without the bowl having to be frozen overnight. A major boon when feeding 9 eager mouths hungry for ice cream. 

Anyhow, several weeks ago, I found a commercial gelato maker on Craigslist. I just love commercial anything, because they have greater capacity and there are so many of us. Plus, commercial stuff usually holds up much better. The price was ridiculously low, just a small fraction of what this puppy costs new. The only problem was that the people selling it lived a couple of hours away in the sticks, which must have been why they kept lowering the price. (By comparison, someone was selling a BROKEN unit for three times that price here in the city.) 

I had mentioned it to my husband, but there was no way I was willing or able to go that far to pick it up, with Boaz still being little and not liking to ride in the car. Later that week, I was having a particularly rough day. My husband came home from the office that night, and realizing I'd had a long day, asked what he could do to cheer me up. To myself, I thought "I would really like that ice cream maker right now!" but of course didn't say so. 

Well, he walked back out to the van, and walked back in - with my new (to me) gelato maker! I thought he had been at the office all afternoon, but he had, in fact, driven for hours to get it for me. I had not seen that coming, at all! Ever since then, we have made "ice cream" part of our family's daily food pyramid :) So many possibilities!! Just check out my Pinterest board for ice cream recipes :)


I set up a dedicated "ice cream station", where we keep the gelato maker, ice cream dishes/spoons/scoops, paper and plastic tubs for gift-giving and freezing, jars with various toppings, and a waffle cone maker. It has seen a lot of use this summer!


Pumpkin Pie gelato, topped with whipped cream, graham cracker crumbs, and pecan pieces.

Mmmh mmmh! Let me tell you, fresh ice cream goes a long ways towards a happy marriage!

8 comments:

  1. How absolutely wonderful! My mum gave me her ice cream maker last year, as she was not using it. The chilling of the bowl is a real nuisance but not as bad as the noise the machine makes - it is impossible to carry on a conversation in the same room with it chugging away.
    However, since I started to make our own ice cream, the store bought stuff just does not hold the same appeal. A new compressor machine costs over USD 260 where I live though. So, I am going to have to think about that for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Which model is it? Is it hard to clean? Now I want ice cream...

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful! Not to mention what a super romantic gesture. You are a lucky gal. Blessings to you all.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum =) We are going to have to save up for a summer vacation to AZ to visit your gelato shop...lol =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To SWEET!! In every sense of the word!! You deserve it for sure! Enjoy~ as it sounds like you all are!

      Delete
  5. Congrats on your purchase, sounds delightful!
    We are not in desperate need of an ice cream maker - yet, but I love homemade ice cream. And yes, summers are impossible to survive without ice cream. (I may be getting old but I prefer cold weather and a heated house to summer heat any day of the week.) Keep browsing for recipes tho' the internet offers a neverending supply of ice cream ideas. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Are you using raw milk to make your ice cream?

    ReplyDelete

Your KINDLY WORDED, constructive comments are welcome, whether or not they express a differing opinion. All others will be deleted without second thought.