Saturday, June 7, 2014

Chicken and White Bean Soup (in the slow cooker) - THM E

This is a recipe I recently stumbled across somewhere, and adapted it from memory the best I could. It is quick, easy, inexpensive, and very tasty - and that's coming from someone who dislikes most foods cooked in a slow cooker. The kids ALL love it, which is a rarity considering how many different palates I am trying to please. There is absolutely nothing I don't like about this recipe, besides the fact that I cannot get by with serving it daily (though doing so weekly has been a success so far).

Please pardon the paper bowl, we are still keeping things simple around here :)

In a 3-qt or larger slow cooker, combine:

1 lb white beans (no need to soak first if you forgot)
1 lb chicken breast (can be straight from frozen)
water to cover.

Cook on "high" for about 4-6 hours, adding water as necessary, until the chicken is cooked through and the beans are mostly tender. Shred the chicken right in the crock with a pair of metal tongs, stir, then add:

1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1 Tbsp chili powder

Continue to cook on high for another 2 hours or so, until the beans are soft and creamy.

If you are following the "Trim Healthy Mama" plan, this makes a terrific and very satisfying "E" meal. 

The recipe can easily be doubled if you have a 6-qt or larger slow cooker.

Enjoy! 

13 comments:

  1. I recently received a new slow cooker as a gift, so I have been on the lookout for new recipes. We will have to try this soon, it is coming into winter down here, so it is perfect timing for us. This looks lovely, though I fear it would only be an entree divided between my family! I cannot believe how much my children eat some days! We have 3 course dinners every night, a soup with plenty of beans and vegetables or toasted sandwiches for starters, meat, vegetables and pasta or rice as main, and then fruit with yoghurt or custard for afters. It feels as though I spend most of my time cooking for them! Still, despite all the food we go through, they are wonderfully healthy, slim and active children... Such a blessing! Of course my older children can cook too. Alana, Ruby and my big twins take it in turns of cooking the main one night a week, Ruby has a Mexican burrito/Taco filling that is just to die for!

    Blessings from one big family to another - Annabelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you I am going to make this tomarrow I can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this recipe. I have canned white beans I've been meaning to use up maybe I will skip the slow cooker and just do it in a pot for 30 minutes. It would be good with a can of chopped tomatoes and some chopped onions. I have 4 kids, with the smallest at 8 months so I totally understand the paper plates! The sink gets so backed up when you have your hands full with a newborn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds delish. Can't wait to give it a whirl...

    Don't be sorry about the paper bowl. We all do what we have to do to stay sane! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the recipe. My parents will be visiting next week and I need simple, gluten-free meals.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks a lot like pozole a mexican soup we top ours with chopped radishes, onion, lettuce, and some lime juice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks delicious ! I will have to make next week. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I made this soup today and wow!! I have a family of 8 and they all loved it. That is amazing cause my 6 year old little girl hates beans and she loved this dish she ate two bowls of it. Thanks for This recipe.


    ReplyDelete
  9. Love This, I would love to see more quick and easy dinner ideas on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Always love your recipes thanks for sharing this one because crock pot meals are great when are busy and plus I love beans .

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks so delicious!!! Do you think it would be just as good with kidney beans??? Thanks, Nikki

    ReplyDelete
  12. We eat this now probably once a fortnight. Thanks for the great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We tried this today with canned chicken in broth and pseudo corn muffins. Mmmm (and easy, too)!

    ReplyDelete

Your KINDLY WORDED, constructive comments are welcome, whether or not they express a differing opinion. All others will be deleted without second thought.