Friday, March 7, 2014

Miriam's 7th Birthday

Miriam turned 7 on Valentine's Day. It's always so surprising how fast time flies. Miriam, our fourth child, is our oldest daughter. She was our first child born in Arizona. In fact, she was born in the very room that is now the girls' bedroom. She shares her birthday with my late grandfather on my Mom's side, whom I loved very much.
 
  2 days old, with Solomon (5)


 Isaac is only 4 years old in this picture!

 John was just barely 2

1 year old

2 years old

3 years old

4 years old

5 years old

6 years old

Miriam's birthday breakfast this year, again, consisted of "palacsinta," the Hungarian version of crepes. Our kids traditionally try to eat as many crepes as their age in years, but few of them ever manage.


Miriam is one of our late sleepers. As such, she is our only child that does not get up at some insanely early hour on her birthday, eager to open gifts. A fact I really appreciate, as I typically wrap gifts late the night before. 
 
Solomon gave her this card

 Isn't he a sweet big brother?

 She got a real porcelain tea set from us, which came in a beautiful case to keep it safely stowed away.

 

Later that day, my husband and the kids went to the Valentine's homeschool skate. Isaac stayed home with me that day, because his asthma was acting up, as it often does that time of the year. In the afternoon, Miriam went on a date to Starbucks, just her and Dad.

We decided a couple of years ago that we would do birthday parties for the kids every other year, and a fun outing for their birthday every other year. This year is the "year of the parties". Miriam's birthday is the first one of the year, closely followed by Isaac's (more on that in a separate post). 

Her birthday party was on Saturday, the day after her birthday. We decided to have a tea party, since she had been enjoying doing tea parties with her sisters so much. This turned out really nice, and even though it looks like it might have been a lot of trouble, it turned out to be pretty easy and budget-friendly, as we already had all the supplies, and the food was simple yet elegant. 

 The invites - never mind that I got the date wrong on them... :)



 Fruit cups and PB&J finger sandwiches

 Orange chocolate chip scones and decorated sugar cookies

 Miniature cupcakes with pink almond buttercream frosting










 One of the activities was to make an edible necklace from "fruit loops"



 Another activity was to build structures or pictures out of sugar cubes
 
One of the favors: shortbread cookies made to look like tea bags 
 (idea here)


The other favor: tea party inspired hair bows for each girl 
(ribbon here - I greatly recommend this store)


 For the littlest girls, the bows were fastened to head bands



Including the babies and latecomers, we had a total of 15 girls at the party. It was a blast! Only 6 more birthday parties to go this year!! :)



26 comments:

  1. Hi Zsuzsanna,

    The party looked fabulous and fun. You are such a wonderful mother and so creative. Just love the pictures of all the children. Looking forward to new babies 1st birthday. Love to all in your home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday, Miriam! http://www.pinterest.com/pin/556757572656023519/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like so much fun! What little girl wouldn't love a tea party? You did a great job with the food and decorations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun fun fun!!! I'm so going to steal tea party idea I love the tea cookies and hair bows cool party. My little girls will love something like this they are bolth 6 years old I think I'll do one this summer just for fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is there a reason why there weren't any boys at the party, not even her brothers? (This is a genuine question. Please excuse my ignorance. I'm a newcomer.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At this age, it is very common for birthday parties to be girls only....especially tea parties. I will bet the brothers were more interested in eating the leftovers after the party than sitting quietly during the party.

      Delete
  6. The invitations are adorable. They do have your phone number though (didn't know if you want that public).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, what a blast. I love the tea party theme! The cupcakes are so cute too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd rethink giving my money to Starbucks since they've stated they don't want the money of anyone who won't support gays.

    But it was so nice of your hubby to take her out and your birthday party looks like lots of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What fun! I can't believe how time flies, those photographs are a real 'blast from the past!' I'm sure it seems like it was just yesterday when you gave birth to Miss Miriam! They grow up so quickly, don't they? You did a beautiful job with the party, Zsuzsanna, I'm sure that you've created memories that will last a lifetime. God bless you, Pastor Anderson, and the children. Mindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes, time flies. It's hard to believe she is SEVEN.

      Delete
  10. Her dress and stuffed wolf look like a Game of Thrones costume. Do your children read those books or watch the show, or is the resemblance a complete coincidence?

    I love the party idea and execution! It's absolutely beautiful. My oldest daughter is turning 4 this year, and I think she's a little young for a tea party like this right now, but it's such a lovely idea to keep in mind for the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never heard of it. The dress is a gift from last year, the stuffed animal is actually a dog for her doll.

      Tea parties are so much fun, I bet your daughter would love it!

      Delete
  11. It looks like a fun party, very creative. I like the cookies made to look like teabags. Anonymous 3:25 pm, my daughter never had boys at her birthday parties, nor did my sons have girls at theirs. Family parties included siblings but their birthday parties for friends were always girls only or boys only.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this :) My brother was always part of our family party, of course, but when it was time for the friend party, it was girls only.

      LOVE the tea party, it's very Alice in Wonderland :)

      Delete
  12. Thank you, everyone. It was really fun. I tried to include links above to all the online resources I used, for those of you who want to throw a tea party.

    ReplyDelete
  13. In my son's first grade class, they had posted a question answered by all the kids, "What is one thing you couldn't live without?" Among the "Playstations" and "Xboxes" and "Legos" was, "My sister." (That was from my son) Your Solomon melted my heart as my son had.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Tea parties are for girls, and I despise even the thought that a parent would want to send their son to one.... with dainty, flowery cups and saucers and tea pots and pink all over the place. Despite the brainwashing attempt, the fact is girls and boys are actually different.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Also, noticed pastor's shirt. Looks like it says "Let no man deceive you." I don't remember "After the Tribulation" themed T shirts being advertised. Is there a way I could purchase one for my husband?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the producer of the documentary is also selling those T-shirts. Here's a link to the website where you can order them: http://afterthetribulation.bigcartel.com/

      You should have come up for the screening of the new documentary! We bought a bunch of posters and T-shirts to give out for free to those who came! They are all gone, or I would mail you one.

      Delete
  16. That would've been super cool. I just ordered the DVD so we don't have to wait for YouTube. My parents are visiting next week, and I'd like them to see it. I ordered After the Tribulation as well as New World Order Bible Versions. Can't wait till it gets here. We'd love to come up for anything you care to invite us to! Usually we're to busy to make a trip, but you never know... :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Ms Zsuzsanna,
    I have been trying to get across to you for months now. I am trying to come on a vacation to ur church sometime june and I just wanted to ask a couple of questions. I wanna rent a hotel but the reviews i read in the hotels in tempe are horrible. Is there any reasonably priced hotels that u can recommend? Please kindly get back to me as soon as possible. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would not recommend staying at a hotel in Tempe. It is a university town, so a lot of the guests and staff are "below average." You could look pretty much anywhere else, such as near the Phoenix airport, or in Ahwatukee. I suggest you pull up google maps, look for hotels within the desired radius of the church, and then check out their ratings.

      Delete
  18. I have never called for people to rise up and kill homosexuals. I believe that the GOVERNMENT should put them to death as the Bible lays out in Leviticus 20:13. We as Christians should NOT accept homosexuals. Am I going to harm homosexuals? NO. Should they be put to death by the legitimate authorities (i.e. our government). YES

    ReplyDelete

Your KINDLY WORDED, constructive comments are welcome, whether or not they express a differing opinion. All others will be deleted without second thought.