Sunday, October 13, 2013

Just another day...

My day yesterday started out with waking up to baby Stephen's forehead pressed against mine, nose-to-nose, feeling his little baby breath on me as he snoozed peacefully, his chubby little arms tucked in by my neck. I won't lie to you - it simply is the best way in the world to wake up. I seriously dread the day I will no longer have a baby to wake up to next to me.

Alas, I had to peel myself away to get ready for the day and feed the starving masses breakfast. Our goal was to be out of the house by 8:30 am on errands, to beat the typical Saturday rush. Plus, there was just so much to get done, and only limited time. 

My husband came along to help, which is always an interesting experience, because in true Dad fashion, he makes the kids hyper. We hit up several stores, mostly buying stuff for church and things I needed for a baby shower in the afternoon, and then went to the library so I could pick out the books for the kids to read as we study "Ancient Egypt" during the next three weeks. While we were there, they had a special "princess" themed program, so my husband ended up taking all three girls, plus the baby to that so I could pick our books out in peace. Even though I always go fully prepared with a list of topics to cover, plus the call numbers of books on each topic, it still takes about an hour to actually collect all the books, and check them out.
An hour later, we made it out of there with about 70 books, no lost kids, but baby Stephen melting down. He settled down in the car seat and fell asleep, but was fitful and felt hot to the touch.

Back at home, my gang was yet again starving, this time for lunch. Just keeping everyone fed takes up hours of my time each day. After lunch, I tucked Anna in for her nap, but held Baby Stephen in my arms on the sofa until he drifted off to sleep. By this time, he was 102 degrees, which to me is never a cause for alarm. He is currently teething his molars, and since the fever was coming and going erratically all day long, I blame that for him feeling under the weather.

Laid him down, and took off to the baby shower with Miriam and Becky. We had such a great time with the ladies at our church! Seriously, I was laughing tears. One of the games we played was the one where everyone starts out with a safety pin, but if they are caught saying the word "baby" they lose their pin to the person who catches them. Whoever has the most pins by the end of the shower wins a prize. Well, Miriam was very determined to win this game! She kept walking around the tables, just listening in on everyone, hoping to catch them in a slip-up. Sure enough, she won the game. It was funny watching her. 

This was the 21st baby born at our church, a little over half of which were born at home, and all but one of which were born naturally. The mom with the one c-sec was having her 3rd repeat Cesarean, not really something that could be medically avoided in her case because of her underlying condition. It is amazing to see what a difference the right support system and educating moms on the pitfalls of modern obstetrics makes. While this is just a small "study group," I still think it is impressive nonetheless.

Just as we were getting ready to start opening gifts, my husband called, saying Baby Stephen had woken up for good, and wasn't going back to sleep, nor would he be consoled by anyone or anything. I left immediately, and resumed my post on the sofa at home, snuggling the baby, something that not only stopped his crying, but made him downright giddy. The older kids were helping care for  the younger ones, so it wasn't a biggie that I was out of commission.

My husband decided to go for a bike ride. He was going to be gone for several hours, so when my phone rang just a little while after he left, I immediately got a bad feeling. As it turned out, I was right: as he was riding down a sidewalk/bike trail in Tempe (we have tons of them), he was hit by a truck. Miraculously, he walked away almost unharmed. 


What had happened was this: as my husband was driving along, he heard a noise behind him, which in and of itself is miraculous because he often wears headphones and listens to audio books or preaching as he goes - but not today. The express purpose of him going on a bike ride had been to listen to some stuff in preparation for the KJV documentary he has been working on, so the fact that he wasn't doing that was truly providential. 

Anyhow, he turned around to see a truck lunging toward the very spot where he was riding, jumping the curb at what later was estimated to be about 55 mph. To avoid being hit, my husband dove to the side - toward traffic. The truck hit his bike and clipped him, but miraculously, he only sustained some minor cuts and bruises. If you look in the above picture, he basically landed between the left fender, and the curb. Really, not only is it a miracle that the truck didn't crush him against the mountain, but it's equally miraculous that he didn't land in the busy street and get run over by another car. 

Long story short, two of the passengers fled the scene on foot, but were later arrested with drugs in their possession. The driver turned out to be drunk, plus possibly under the influence of drugs, so he, too, was taken away in handcuffs. A fourth person in the vehicle was allowed to go home.

Later last night, after being done with the police reports and such, my husband went to Urgent Care to get his hand checked out, which was cut up pretty badly on the palm, and also hurting, just to make sure there were no broken bones. Urgent Care would not see him and told him he had to go to the hospital (liability?), so that took up pretty much the rest of my husband's night.

I wonder if the jerk who almost killed my husband still thinks it's worth accidentally killing a pastor, husband, and father of seven just for the "fun" of getting drunk and high with a bunch of loser "friends." And yeah, nice friends he has, who leave two injured people in a wrecked car as they flee the scene of an accident.

I was home with the kids, doing the usual dinner and bedtime routine. Baby Stephen was still feeling hot, and just observing the madness while reclined in his high chair. Once the kids were in bed, I had a chance to pamper him a bit more, and he once again just dozed off in my arms.

My plan was to get some quilting done, my newly discovered hobby since I took a class on it at Jo-Ann's last week. I am currently working on one for Isaac, and already have the materials to make another one for the guest bed. However, the responsible side of me decided my time would be better spent on chores, since I had no idea how much of my time would be taken up caring for a teething baby.

Last week, my Hoover FloorMate broke after not even a year of use. It started having problems soon after I bought it, but had now become completely useless. I briefly toyed with the idea of replacing it with a robotic wet mop, something that my husband was fully supportive of, but decided against it because I don't think a machine like that is designed for the type of commercial use it would get in our house. It seemed even more rickety than the FloorMate. Instead, I decided to go with the typical industrial option of a large Rubbermaid mop wringer bucket from Sam's Club. Out the door, it was about $50 for the mop and bucket, something I was willing to pay to give it a try.


So last night, instead of quilting, I mopped the floors. I must say, thanks to my new setup, the job went very quickly, definitely quicker than using the FloorMate. This may partly be due to the fact that I used the hottest water from the tap, since my hands never touched the water. Also, because the mop head is so fuzzy, it could be pushed all the way into corners, and wiped all the nooks and crannies along the baseboards clean much better than any other mop I have ever had. If you have been thinking about buying a bucket like this, I highly recommend it.

Stephen kept waking up off and on throughout the night. My husband woke up sore this morning, and commented: "I feel like I've been hit by a truck." Then we both laughed and said - Oh yeah, that really happened!

I decided to stay home from the service with Stephen this morning because he is still a little warm. Two of his molars have crowned, while two more are still right about to break through. Becky and Anna, who are too little to sit through church without me, are also home. We will be listening in on the morning service live, something that is not available to anyone but me, so don't even ask! :)

Anyway, this is a 24-hour glimpse into my life. When it's not one thing, it's another - is is NEVER boring around here! Not even at 2 AM...

24 comments:

  1. Praise the Lord he is ok. Wow

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my - we're so THANKFUL that the Pastor is okay and for God's obvious protection! You must have gotten such a scare Zsuzsa! Keeping you guys in prayer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My father was killed by a drunken driver; he was 80, full of life still. I wish they'd ban alcohol while they're trying to ban everything, but you never hear of that. Not that it would work, we don't obey laws in this country anyway. I'm so glad your husband was unharmed, so very glad! Thank God!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praise the Lord for His protection! Wow! Glad he is safe and praying little Stephen will be feeling better soon! Been enjoying the sermons he sent with the piano books!! Thank you so much again :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad your husband is okay. The incident could have been so much worse. Thank God for His protection.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know he likes to listen to sermons etc but please implore to your husband that if he does, to please only use one earbud. Had he had his earphones/buds in this time he would more than likely be seriously injured or quite possibly dead. The stark reality is that there are numerous people on the road that don't give right of way to cyclist or joggers while sober. Add the drunks and dopers and TEXTERS to the mix and you honestly don't stand a chance if you are distracted yourself.

    As far as the people that drive drunk/doped....their brain is addled with chemicals. They DONT think. All they were worried about was getting caught by the police and sent to jail after the crash. Oh sure...after the sober up they are all remorseful but chances are...they will do it again. Pray for them....they need it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loren,

      you make a very good point. Before this incident, neither one of us had even thought about it being dangerous wearing headphones. So after the accident, I made the same suggestion - never to wear more than one ear piece. My husband took it one step further, however, and said he would never use headphones again while on a bike, unless he was on a dedicated bike trail, completely away from any motorized traffic, in which case he would use just one ear piece.

      We have a lot of dedicated bike trails in the area that run along the many canals, where there are no cars at all. He has been riding his bike only on those, rather than on bike trails next to roads.

      Delete
  7. Bet you $5 that the vehicle was stolen. So glad everyone is safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully, it wasn't, and thankfully, it was insured. Which is often not the case in Arizona.

      Delete
  8. Oh my! I am soooo thankful your sweetie is ok. My heart is beating STILL so fast since reading this post.

    ((((hugs))))

    ReplyDelete
  9. One rides a bike.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love how your husband almost gets killed and you end your post talking about a mop lol! Very odd.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ended my post talking about my teething baby. And yes, almost killed or not, the kids still needed food, clothes, and sanitary living conditions that day. I hate how that always works out. I would much rather have laid in bed, huddled under the covers shaking from the shock of it all.

      Delete
  11. Oh my goodness!!! Sooo thankful for God protection!!! We are sitting here amazed!!! Wow! The Lord is good! Degiately not a coincidence his headphones were off. Love you all!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad your husband wasn't seriously injured, but I don't understand why you specified him as a pastor/husband/father of seven. Would it have been less tragic had they hit a young unmarried man? Or an elderly woman? A life is a life, yes? Because you're making it sound like some lives are worth more than others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it certainly would have been less tragic, because fewer people would have been impacted by his death. A life is a life, yes. But some people have more dependents on that life than others. When a single man dies, he does not leave a wife and children behind that will never know their father. So it's not that his life is worth more than others, but rather, that his life is impacting more than some other people's lives.

      What would rattle you more - if the president of the United States were killed, or if some random stranger in your city were killed? Case in point.

      Delete
    2. Wait. Fewer people would have been impacted. That is a huge statement. You are pro-life. Fewer people would have been impacted. You just made the point that some lives are more valuable than others. I'm honestly stunned.

      And, no, I'm rattled by anyone being killed. Personally. But that's me, apparently.

      Delete
  13. I am so glad that Pastor Anderson is ok! I listen to his sermons frequently and although they sometimes upset me, I would never wish him any harm, on the contrary! Actually, Loren is right about the earphones, this is dangerous, I know someone who died after getting hit by a van. He had listened to music while riding the bike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right. Please see my above comment.

      Delete
  14. I posted I thought!

    We were gasping hearing this! It was no coincidence his ear pieces were out!!! Wow!!! Thank you Lord!!!!! So thankful for His protection. God is soooo good!!! Love to you all!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. None of us want to seriously lose loved ones to death, none of us. When incidents as such happen as to Pastor Anderson is showing that life is precious, all life is precious. Pastor Anderson and Mrs. Anderson are sharing their life with us through blogs which is a true blessing in every way, which I deeply appreciate with all my heart. I give thanks to GOD for Pastor Anderson and his whole family. Whom ever comes across Pastor Andersons and Mrs. Andersons blogs will be blessed; letting all to know the Truth the Way, the Life. Honestly I am giving God all the glory for protecting Pastor Anderson from harm. Not the time for Mr. Anderson to leave this earth; his work is not done. Really this world needs preaching , teaching of such. Mr. and Mrs. Anderson , family , "Philippians 4:7" " ...the peace of God, which passeth all understanding , shall keep your hearts and mind through Christ Jesus.''' always praying without ceasing'' love and blessings rosita

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, your husband was very fortunate. My one fear when I'm riding my bike is getting hit by a car. I agree with giving up headphones. I never understand why people wear them. I like to hear the sounds of nature.

    My paternal grandmother was killed by a drunk driver. She was a pedestrian walking home from church. She and her friend were both killed. I have zero tolerance for drunk or impaired drivers.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your blog and would like to follow but don't have yahoo. Do you sent email notifications?

    ReplyDelete

Your KINDLY WORDED, constructive comments are welcome, whether or not they express a differing opinion. All others will be deleted without second thought.