Saturday, September 1, 2012

"Don't go back to school" party

It's that time of the year again - the time when our kids don't go back to school. Which, in my eyes, is always worth a celebration! :)

Of course, just because we are against school does not mean we are against learning, so it's back to the books for us starting this Monday. I will have to do another post on this year's curriculum choices. This post is just about our party.

As always, I am continuing the German tradition of making a "Zuckertüte" for each of the kids. Technically, only those students starting 1st grade are supposed to get one, but in our home, the other kids also get one, albeit theirs are "consolation size". 

With Miriam starting 1st grade this year, hers is the big purple one. 





No joke, I have sat up until 1 am every single night this week working on these. Thankfully, baby Stephen could not be a more perfect and easy baby. He goes to sleep for the night around 9 pm, at which point I lay him down and he never stirs or makes a peep until I get into bed beside him and feed him. While he sleeps, I first do my housework, and then work on stuff like this. With all the birthdays, as well as Christmas coming up, I don't see myself taking a break from the glue gun until early next spring. But it's all good, because I love crafts. If only there were more hours in a day!


Solomon asked me to decorate his with this horse. 

Isaac is really into sleuthing right now, reading the Hardy Boys and other mystery stories, even fingerprinting his siblings. 

 John is still fascinated by car racing. He decorated this year's binder in that theme, too.

 Purple and glitter - can't go wrong with that for a girly-girl like Miriam. I glued felt "flower petals" to the top of her cone.

A unicorn for Becky.

A mouse for Anna, our little mouse.

They were filled with "fun" school supplies like art stuff, little craft projects, special pens, stickers, fun erasers, and so on. And, of course, some obligatory candy. The German word "Zuckertüte" literally means "bag of sugar", since it's supposed to sweeten the blow of having to start school. Staying true to the theme, I splurged on some good German candy. 



Before the kids got each of their cones, though, we had a special dinner of bacon cheeseburgers, homemade fries, and root beer floats. 


We don't have a theme or motto for the new school year like some families do, but I did make these place cards for everyone with a verse on them, to keep in their pencil boxes to remind them of the first priority in learning: to "be filled with the knowledge of his will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding;"


This meal didn't exactly help improve the kids' outfits, which they had picked out themselves that morning, and spent all day getting grubby as they helped move everything into the new church building. We'll have to get some nicer "First Day of School" photos on Monday, unless we want to perpetuate the impression that homeschool moms don't even get out of their nightgowns until noon. Which is a total lie! For me, it's never a minute past eleven when I get dressed... ;)

Evidently, John was even going for the German look, what with those white socks and sandals...


After they tore through all that, and gobbled up all the candy on the spot, the older kids went swimming while the little ones kept making messes helped me get dinner cleaned up.



Right before bed, John told me he wanted me to yank his first loose tooth out while he was sleeping, because he was afraid it would hurt. I told him the tooth would get lost in the dark and the tooth frog would never come, and did it right there on the spot. 

Isn't that single tear just cute in a pathetic way? It was from relief, not pain.

Later, I went to check on them in bed. John made extra sure to tell me which pillow he had hidden the tooth under - anything to get some cash! 

Oh my, time flies! I can't believe we are starting a new school year, and that my baby John has lost a tooth.
Tears, blood, drama... we're off to a good start!

13 comments:

  1. this is cool, i want to have the same thing with my kids too, Lord willing when i'll have one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those treats are HUGE! The first picture doesn't give it justice! How fun! I would love to be so creative and artsy. I have one question.... Do you teach your children German?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun tradition, the "Zuckertüte". Wish I'd known about it when my kids were young. I did have 1 German grandmother but she never shared this with us. You did a great job with the, I didn't know Duplos were German candy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is a hilarious thread going on over on FJ titled "Mystery Man Eats Dinner With the Andersons". So who is the mystery man?!?!

    The cones are really cute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cool! I wish I would have done something like that but I'm not very creative. I just got an idea though to buy at the dollar store those really big birthday cone hats and just fill them up, I could do that at least! :)

    Anyways, I just wanted to add a couple things..1. REALLY appreciate the improved audio quality on the you tube videos, thank you Faithful Word! 2. The new church building looks great and the van too! As always great sermons lately, we really hope to visit one day soon.

    Oh! Also can you tell us if Jessica had her baby yet? I think it's time for another update on the homestead ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so creative!!! I wish I had known about this tradition - I would have done something (or more likely bought something) similar for my kiddies. I guess I haven't been reading your blog long enough, although it HAS been just long enough to know that an anti-public school post will be on its way soon :-) Enjoy your sweet children.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look like so much fun , we will have to start this new tradition to :) Dawn.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with other comment- The pic of the kids holding the cones shows how large they were. The first pic was very deceptive! How cool to have a cone of goodies almost as big as you are!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have spent a lot of time reading your blog and watching sermons from your church. I am trying to understand and respect your lifestyle and appear to be failing miserably.
    I work as an analyst about 50 hours a week. My husband who is amazing is fighting cancer and stays at home minding the house and taking care of our young daughter.
    I love God and view Jesus add my savior but by the definitions of your church I am a whore. I wear pants, cut my hair, make most financial decisions, and love my family but that is not good enough because i am not at home, in a skirt or breeding.
    Why is your way the only way? Why do you choose to see only one path to Gods door.
    I truly mean no disrespect but simply cannot understand.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous, I can't answer for zsuzsana but my beliefs are similar. The Lord says in the Bible that women are to be keepers at home, that is why we choose to stay home and care for our families and homes. Also, women should not wear that which pertaineth to a man, namely pants. I was taught that a woman's hair is her crowning glory, also in the Bible. I want to be feminine and pleasing to the Lord and my husband, I don't feel that a loud brash, manly woman with chopped hair in men's clothes who trys to run her family is pleasing. Sorry if this offends you I just telling you what my God wants from a woman.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, all!

    anon, please tell me FJ peeps have more of a life than to guess who we had over for dinner?? Seriously, doesn't everyone have company sometimes? Is that such blog fodder for them????

    Karen, glad you like the improvements. Yes, Jessica had her baby, a little boy. I will have to ask her to share another update with us.

    Renee, I am not creative, I just know where to find other people's creative ideas! It's all plagiarized. You are right, I do need to blog on public schools again sometime soon.

    anon, I am sorry you feel that way. You will not be able to find a single sermon of my husband, or blog post of mine, that refers to working mothers as "whores". Working outside the home does not make someone a whore (unless, of course, that is the actual "job" they are working), nor does wearing makeup or whatever else you listed. I am very sorry your husband is suffering from cancer, and I am glad your daughter is with him rather than in daycare. The fact remains, that is not an ideal situation, but that does not make you a "whore".

    ReplyDelete
  12. hi
    I think your doing a great job...I am from Germany and i remember my "Schultüte" it was great.... so hopefully when I get to have children Germany changes its laws, so that I can homeschool them :)
    After all children are a blessing from God , people tend to forget that.
    Melanie

    ReplyDelete

Your KINDLY WORDED, constructive comments are welcome, whether or not they express a differing opinion. All others will be deleted without second thought.