Friday, August 31, 2012

I could have gone to Hawaii

So the scorpion problem is evidently not going away if I ignore it long enough. Just kidding, I wasn't ignoring it - but we are definitely hitting it with the "big guns" now that we have found so many in such a short amount of time. That involves cutting any branches off trees overhanging the house, eradicating any dead leaves/foliage, more frequent pest control (doing this whole song and dance), and so on. I won't bore you with the details, but it hasn't really made me appreciate Arizona more. 

Then last week, our air conditioning went out. In August. In Arizona. Thanks to nothing short of a miracle, the entire two nights and one day that we were without it, the temperature outside never rose above 90 degrees. The humidity, on the other hand, was hovering just below 50% the entire time thanks to insane monsoon rains this summer. We camped out at stores and the church building during the day. At night, I lay awake melting, while my kids were huddled under blankets because they swore they were freezing cold in the house (it was 87 degrees inside, super humid, and zero air flow).




 It was sticky, it was hot, but we survived. Sadly, our old a/c unit was irreparable, and just needed to be replaced. Ugh! I about died when I heard the cost of that. It would have been enough to take a really nice family vacation, or for my husband and I to go on a cruise to Hawaii. Not like we were planning on either, but now that the money is gone, I am stewing about all the cool stuff it could have gone toward.



Instead, we have a big hunk of metal on our roof. Hm... but it keeps us cool, which is vital here. The boys, of course, thought that watching the crane in action alone was worth the expense. 



I'm still holding a grudge about the Hawaii cruise. That we would have never gone on anyway. But that's beside the point. I'm holding a grudge because I want to, and I can. 

Then today, I finally got my chance for that much-needed and deserved vacation! Free, all expense paid at that! A caster from ABC was trying to get our family to participate in a reality TV show. As it turned out, that show was - are you ready for this? - Wife Swap!


We got a good laugh out of trying to imagine the various scenarios, but our "no" was firm. Except, now I'm thinking if my new surrogate family lives in Hawaii, I might reconsider.

Just kidding, just kidding! I'd never pass the physical and psychological evaluation required before taping the show, plus my new family would never let me leave once they realize what a gem of a wife and mother I am!  :)

10 comments:

  1. That is funny you are moving to a building 3 times the size of your old one. FJ has a whole thread on why your church is failing because you are moving to a smaller building lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never seen Wife Swap so don't know if I'd consider it or not. I might be tempted just for the chance to see a different part of the country.

    I had a friend contacted by Judge Judy to have her small claims case heard on TV but she said no, mainly because the other party would have looked so bad.

    Hope you get the scorpion population wiped out. Just the thought gives me the heebie jeebies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh funny! I didn't even know that show was still on TV. I can see you significantly helping another family - but your poor children would be subjected to horrors, for sure.
    Blessings,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!!! It would have been fun to see you all in action and to see your opposite struggle to be you, however, I would never want to see your innocent children influenced like that. And they probably would try to make your wonderful family look like freaks. So glad you guys didn't hesitate to decline.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad that you got your AC fixed! I had no idea that they came in big units like that. When we lived in Brisbane, Australia for a year, we only had a wall mountable version and that was still pretty expensive!

    I think I would DIE if I saw a scorpion! One of the reason why I love Ireland, is that we don't have any kind of poisonous creepy crawlies!

    As for Wife-Swap - That is hilarious! I can't imagine what kind of woman would leave her children and husband in the clutches of a complete stranger (usually the most hideous sort to ensure good ratings) for a week or two?!?? Though I bet you did have a good laugh imagining all those different scenarios! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh do Wife Swap. Please Zsuzsanna, do Wife Swap ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. D.O. I.T!!!!!!!!!!!!! You'd be the best Wife Swap ever.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow! I didn't know that show was still in production!! You could spread gods word, and have the experiance of a life time!! Did you pray about it maybe this is something god wants you to do. Many families have been changed for the better after doing the show. Just some food for thought!

    ReplyDelete
  9. For those that think Zsuzsanna should do the show - think it through. While she could be a great influence for good for the family she went to - someone has to come to her family. That is why it is called Wife *Swap*. That means the girls will probably be put in pants - a TV brought in - video games - maybe a daycare or school - probably junk foods - movies - all the things that her children are currently "deprived" of. What ever the "new" mom deems is needed they have to go along with it. No way would that be worth it!

    I agree with the boys - the crane was cool =:o
    Blessings,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a big a/c unit , and very expensive , my dad puts in heat pumps and a/c units for a living and the only time they put in one this size is on a dept. store or a big building , but i guess you have to have one that big in AZ.There are a lot of things I hate about living here in TN. but we don't have scorpions , I hope you can get rid of them soon. Dawn.

    ReplyDelete

Your KINDLY WORDED, constructive comments are welcome, whether or not they express a differing opinion. All others will be deleted without second thought.