Saturday, June 23, 2012

Summer Break!

Yay! Yesterday was our last day of homeschool. This has been a good year. We stayed on track the whole time, even when the severe morning sickness hit. The only sad part? I cannot believe how quickly this year has flown by. Seems like just yesterday, it was September and we started the new school year. 

Way back when I was a rookie homeschool mom to one eager little preschooler, I told a (very seasoned) homeschool mom and friend that my plan was to always homeschool year-round. After all, no working adult gets the whole summer off, and idle kids have a way of getting into mischief. She didn't laugh out loud at me, but I'm guessing inside she was laughing. Summer breaks are for mom as much as they are for the kids! I couldn't imagine NOT having one.





We all need time to step back, evaluate areas that need improvement, look for new and interesting curriculum choices, find a new schedule, plan field trips - and just plain do nothing at all and let the kids run wild. My only requirement for the summer will be that the boys still observe "silent time" during the girls' nap each afternoon. Typically, they do a lot of reading during this time. For Miriam and Becky, I want to use all my extra time in the next couple of months to work with them on their reading, something they both enjoy. 

Typically, we start back the day after Labor Day in September, but this year we may hold off until the middle of the month depending on when baby #7 makes his debut. The later we start, the later we finish, so we need to keep that in mind.  We shall see.

Yesterday was a busy day, even though as far as school work went, we just finished up a few loose ends. The kids and I left the house before 7 am to pick apples at a friend's house. By 9 am, the temperature had risen above 90 degrees, my clue to call it a day. Throughout the day, with the older kids' help, we canned 10 quart jars of apple pie filling, and 8 quart jars of applesauce.



For a celebratory "dinner", we made individual apple pies a la mode. Really, I was just too tired to cook a big meal after having been in the kitchen canning most of the day. The kids, of course, were thrilled.





After that, I went swimming with all the kids. The water in the pool is finally warm enough for me (as in, it feels like bath water). They have been going in daily since early May, but this was only my second time this year. 


 I love how Annie covers her face in anticipation of the inevitable SPLASH




 Yay for summer!

10 comments:

  1. Enjoy your summer vacation, you have all worked hard getting the school work done. I guess you will still be busy figuring out the next school year though. Clare

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm having a hard time with that same scheduling issue... I want to go all year because the times when I most want to utilize outdoor time are during the winter - but then over summer I feel "summer-ish" and want to stop for a while! Ah, problems, problems. I can't wait till I'm not a newbie anymore!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am that rookie mom this year who has been planning on schooling year round. I have heard of it working out for some families. We just finished a hard year of Abeka K-4. Let me tell you, we need a break. My daughter was going strong until the last couple of months and by the end neither one of us was enjoying it. She is writing and reading at age four though. So instead of moving on like I planned we are just doing regular reading and copy work of scripture or little notes she wants to wright. I think I will just take note from your experience and go ahead and take summers off. ( Please don't laugh though, I'm just a rookie;) . Have a great summer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is totally unrelated to this post, but I noticed in your list of hobbies you like to cross stitch. I am a fellow stitcher and enjoy looking at and admiring the work of others. Would you mind posting pictures of some of your work sometime? What kinds of designs do you enjoy stitching?

    Jamie in TX

    ReplyDelete
  5. The apple pie filling looks delicious! Thank you for the link to the recipe. I'd love to do some canning this summer, but really don't have any equipment. Is there anything special that you need besides jars, lids and tops? Thank you!

    Leena

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have a great pool! I've wondered before if your kids are allowed to swim in it for fun, or if it's strictly for baptisms only. Happy that you can enjoy the water.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks as though everyone had a GREAT time in the pool! We will be swimming tomorrow too, and looking forward to once again wearing our lovely suits! :)

    Glad you guys are now finished up and will get to enjoy a more relaxed pace in anticipation of your newest arrival!

    Anna looks SO BIG in the picture of her and Isaac! Such a cutie!

    Thanks for the update! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. We ALL need breaks, most especially with you being heavily pregnant...

    Oh dear, I forgot mums don't get breaks...;)

    God bless you, Dad, and the seven,

    Mindy

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am a newbie this year to and considered the year round thing but it didn't take long for me to change my mind after giving it a little more thought .

    ReplyDelete
  10. This has been my third year of homeschooling, year round, and so far, I really like it. The main reason I knew that we would do it for sure, this year, was since I am due at the end of September, I want to feel free to take off at least the month of October, to enjoy the baby. We finished our school year in April, and I took off the month of May to plan new curriculum, order it, and to take a much needed break. Then, we started the new year in June. I am pretty lax about it during the summer, and if we only do a couple of days a week, that is ok. By getting a head start, I don't have to worry about taking time off for illnesses, holidays, or any impromptu days we need a break!I also have found that once the school year starts, I don't have to review so much of the material,as it hasn't been three months since they last did math or English. I am not sure if that will always be how it works for us,but for now, year round schooling has been an abundant blessing. I am glad that you have found what works for you and what helps your family to thrive. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete

Your KINDLY WORDED, constructive comments are welcome, whether or not they express a differing opinion. All others will be deleted without second thought.