Saturday, May 26, 2012

Next Stop Insane Asylum

Am I the only pregnant woman who is easily irritated? Surely not - at least I hope so.

Besides the nausea and fatigue, the constant feeling of irritation (often for no reason whatsoever) is my biggest pregnancy complaint. I'm sure hormones are to blame, but that excuse only goes so far.

It seems that as soon as I turn around or sit down and put my feet up, the kids come up with some fun (for them) project or experiment. Today, they devised a swing in the front yard tree made from rope and a produce box, into which they would climb, and then crash full force into the tree trunk. No worries, the tree was not harmed at all, and the kids were smart enough to don their bicycle helmets for this one.



Speaking of bicycle helmets, it was unseasonably cool this morning - at 7 am, it was still only 70 degrees (as opposed to one-hundred-and-hell like usual). Since I knew this might be the last nice day for months, I decided to take the boys bike riding along the canals once I was done with my usual Saturday morning produce co-op around 8 am.




Riding a bike has never seemed like exercise to me - not even with two kids towed behind me in a trailer, and one on a baby bike seat. Let me tell you - seven months pregnant is a very different story. I was panting right out of the gate, and going at a snail's pace. I'm just glad Miriam decided to stay home with Dad instead, so I left her and Anna (the trailer kids). It took us a full hour to ride 6 miles, so that gives you an idea of how slow we were going. The boys would race ahead, and then stop and wait for me to catch up (huff, huff).

By the time we got back home around 10 am, the warehouse where I buy the wholesale produce had called me to say they were selling the organic raspberries at cost, to get them moved before the holiday weekend.

I dropped the boys off at home, picked up Miriam and Anna, and bought 10 flats of raspberries (12 boxes each). "Only" three and half of the flats were for us, the rest were for my produce peeps who wanted to get in on the deal.

So now I have 42 clam shells of raspberries to freeze, eat, and make into jam in the next couple of days. I read that if you rinse berries in water with apple cider vinegar added to it, they keep much longer in the fridge - has anyone ever tried this? It supposedly has to do with killing off any mold spores.

If you are looking for me, I am on the crazy train, bound for the insane asylum.



18 comments:

  1. Looks like a fun train! You should sell tickets! Hope you will be feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The title of this post made me laugh out loud. Thanks for the much needed cheer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have read that rinsing raspberries in a vinegar solution prolongs the length of time they are good because it kills the mold spores. Good luck, that's a lot of raspberries! Sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That train photo of the kids is adorable. I assure you lots of us are on the same train, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved your post. Especially the kids all lined up on chairs. I read your post right after I just got done cleaning red dry erase crayon marks from the carpet. It got stuck on the bottom of a riding toy train, and it was pushed from one end of the house to the other end before anyone realized it was leaving a red line behind it. I will never buy dry erase crayons! We used a whole box of baking soda to remove all the marks. At least I think we got them all. I'll know tomorrow after I vacuum up the residue from the baking soda.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your kids always look so HAPPY!
    You must be tired. Good thing you're looking at the sunny side of your current exhaustion. Cheer up, get lotsa rest, have a lot of ice cream. 2 more moths to go, we are rooting for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your kids sound like how we used to play as kids. Playing war and capturing the other side and tying them to a tree with baler twine. We live on a farm in the country, 10 minute walk to my cousins, so we played a lot. I enjoy your glimpes into your everyday life. Clare

    ReplyDelete
  8. All aboard the crazy train! ...Save me a seat, I'm comin' too!

    Lovely photo of your precious kiddies! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have not used the vinegar as I usually bring the flats home and begin canning right away as to avoid the yuky mold that appears so quickly on berries. However, I would guess that the vinegar would halt the mold--vinegar is so good at thngs like that. i would love to have you as a neighbor bringing home flats that I could then purchase from you :)

    I have a confession and a question for you. I do read the Free Jinger site and the reason behind my reading FJ is that they bad mouth, all the time, IRL my dear dear friends The Maxwells. I want to hear what outrageous comments and lies they are saying and spreading, almost minute-by-minute about my friends. I have not ever commented back as I don't care to be involved in their hurtful arrogance. I do see that they also take great joy in bad mouthing you, and that too makes me cringe.

    The maxwells do not read FJ and in fact I do not believe they even know of it, and I have not brought it up with them as they would be so painfully hurt to see what people would say about a kind and loving family they do not even know. How do you rise above their intent to hurt you and their mean spiritedness? It is so cruel what they say, and for what reason? Why do they find themselves to be so much better than a family believing in God? Makes no sense to me whatsoever. You do not strike me as a young woman who gives much care to FJ, but it bothers me so and I pray they will stop.

    Perhaps one day I will feel God telling me to respond, but for now I simply read to see what lies they are spreading. (I don't tend to read anything except about the Maxwell's, which right now they are all talking about the two Maxwell babies due within a few weeks, and tonight I noticed they had you on the board too so I did read that, then I click off and pray for them all.) I hope you do not find this offending in any way, i do not mean it to offend. I read and I pray, that is about it.

    --Mrs. Mari

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm impressed you even got ON a bike at 7 months pregnant!!! I remember getting on one at only 4 months and realizing my center of gravity was no longer where I thought it was. I had a really hard time riding it! So hats off to you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You ARE crazy! I thought I was crazy, chasing 3, sixteen month olds around the park when I was 7 months pregnant, but you win!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Zsuzsa!

    Oh my. I am irritated all the time when I am pregnant. I feel like it is like I can't even control it. THe stupidest things bug me. So, you are not alone. I too feel like checkin in at the loony bin with all the other crazies. This job is insane and intense!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I tell Chad I want to resign sometimes! Can I at least clock out at the end of the day!? We are at the end, yet it feels like my 9 more weeks is forever!!!! Take care, hang in there, trust HIM and we will get through this mad season of life and look back and laugh! Hugs to all of you.

    Love,
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like your post :) I don't know how you do all that you do , I still have days to when I feel sick and I'm in my sixth month now which is not normal for me , and Dallas keeps asking whats wrong with me because ive been so cranky lately , it must be a hormone thing , I guess we all have those days . Hope you start feeling better . Dawn.

    ReplyDelete
  14. ZsuZsanna -- Sorry you are feeling irritable but may I politely ask you be careful with verbiage about "insane asylum" and "crazy train" on your blog? I know you have many readers and the stigma against mental illness is so huge that it is often very difficult to convince those who truly need help to get it because of the overuse of these slang, offensive & frightening terms. (If you disagree with me on this, I'd love to know your reasoning.)

    I work in mental health at an establishment you would call an "insane asylum" and the patients there are kind people who deserve compassion and love.

    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Are you feeling any better? Please let us know.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I didn't know you were pregnant! How far along are you? Congrats!

    Juliet is a week and a half old and so far she is mellow but who knows? She was VERY mellow in my tummy. I just hope she stays that way. Whhhheeeee! I only have one mellow kid so it would be nice to have another. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, I'm gonna follow the comments here to read your reply about how far along you are. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. HAHAHA MRS MARI. DO YOU REALLY LIKE ZSHUSANNA AFTER ALL?

    http://freejinger.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11969

    ReplyDelete

Your KINDLY WORDED, constructive comments are welcome, whether or not they express a differing opinion. All others will be deleted without second thought.