Thursday, April 5, 2012

It's a ...

Yesterday, we went for an ultrasound to check on the baby. I usually only have one if there is a concern, not routinely. Our concern was the viral infection that has gone through all the kids, as well as me. 

Without doing a blood test, there really is no way to know for sure what particular virus this is, but since there are no treatment methods for viral infections such as roseola or fifth's, I declined my midwife's suggestion to do a blood test. I already knew I was sick, and didn't need bruised veins to prove this point to me.

My concern was the baby, since his/her activity level was less than usual during the two days that I was sickest. I knew that this was most likely just due to the fact that I was tired, sore, and unable to eat much, but it was still a concern.



Thankfully, everything looked fine on the ultrasound, so there is no need to follow up with more specialized care. We brought the whole family along, and once the technician did a quick check to make sure everything looked good, we brought everyone into the room. I was surprised how well Solomon was able to make out body parts on the screen - it's not like he has seen a lot of images like these before. My husband had not been to an ultrasound since I had one 11 years ago during my pregnancy with Solomon, so he was really fascinated, too.

Since we do not routinely do ultrasounds, we typically do not find out the gender before birth. But, if and when we have one for medical reasons, I will ask. My last ultrasound before this one had been with Miriam, after I broke my foot and started contractions from the pain much too early on. At the time, the technician was unable to tell, because Miriam very stubbornly kept her legs crossed and turned the other way. The last time we knew the gender for sure ahead of time was with Isaac, because I had done OB care for the first part of that pregnancy, including the routine sonogram.

So when the technician yesterday asked me if I wanted to know, I told her I was certain it was a boy just based on how I felt. For me, there is always a huge difference in the way I feel and carry. She smiled, swung the screen around, and pointed to the obvious evidence - a boy, just like I had suspected!

It will be fun having a little baby boy again after almost 8 years since the last one! My family is convinced I am going to repeat our pattern of 3 boys, 3 girls, all over. 

Now that we are certain on the gender, my husband and I have moved on to the subject of picking a name for the baby. I think we have agreement on the first name, but we will not share it until after the birth. There are several reasons for this. For one, announcing your name choice before birth seems to be an open invitation to all to share their opinions on the name, something I absolutely cannot stand. Secondly, we want to see the baby in person before finalizing any choice, to be sure it feels like a "good fit".

Hey, just be glad I announced the gender ahead of time! :)

I would love to share a cute ultrasound image along with this post, but the only picture we got was that of the very telling "boy" shot. We did get a couple of glimpses of baby's face, saw him swallowing, playing with his hands, etc. but by the time the lady went back to take pictures for us to keep, baby had decided to curl the other way and look at my spine.

I not only knew that we were having a boy, but I also know what he will look like: exactly like his older brothers and dad! I'm just in a time warp here. 

20 comments:

  1. congrats on baby boy! We had our ultrasound yesterday and we are having a boy too!!!! :) He was wiggling, sucking his fingers and i am not kidding when i tell you he looked like chad!!!! It was amazing. Well last time we had girlies together and now boys!!! :)

    Love,
    jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your sweet little boy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so happy your baby boy looks healthy and there are no ill effects from your virus.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw! Congratulations! I'm so glad you both got a clean bill of health :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. YAY! Boys are so much fun! You already know this though. :) So happy for you and it is so neat that you can tell without a sonogram too. I think I am having a boy as well, but we are being surprised this time around. Congrats again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations !
    I must say I'm not surprised the new baby will look like his brothers : your children all look quite alike, boys and girls.

    As for the name, I guess he will have a biblical name just as the other children. I'm sure you must be excited and happy !

    Just a wonder : how do you plan to act with Anna ? I guess she is going to move to another bed ? She is going to be a big sister, that's so cute !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! I was hoping you would have a boy just so you could finally blog about a baby boy after all girls, it will be interesting to see the differences. Glad all is well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on finding out about your sweet baby boy! I'm so glad everything looks ok!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on your baby boy , glad everything is fine , I can never tell what I am having because so far every one of my pregnancies have been different even though I have all girls .

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on your baby boy :) I think we are due around the same time frame (early August right?) and I'm having a boy too. It's the third boy for us. I hope that the rest of your pregnancy goes smoothly. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy news! Glad baby is doing fine and what fun to get ready to welcome another little boy.

    I don't blame you for not sharing the name you have chosen before baby arrives! It's sweet to be able to keep that as a secret for only the family or even only husband and wife to know.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just repeating everyone else's sentiments. So very glad everything is ok with the you and the baby! Again, Congratulations on your new son!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations!!! Your big, happy family keeps expanding. One more child in this cruel world will have a safe, happy home with a bunch of healthly, loving siblings. I'm glad everytime I see a baby is being born into a good family wher she or he is cared and provided for, the parents love each other and everyone's excited about the latest arrival. I know he's going to be handsome like his brothers and adored by his sisters. So good to see a happy, full family like yours. The little champ is really lucky and he doesn't even know it! We need more families like you. Actually, finally a bunch of people that are good to look at!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations !! I've been reading your blog for a while and while we worlds apart on many subjects - religion namely, I do believe you're an excellent mother and that your children are truely blessed to have you! I only have 3 kids - last one is 3 months old and I seriousmy don't know how and where you find all the energy and stmina to keep up with 6 and soon 7 !

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats on the little boy! After 4 years of praying we are expecting our first little one after a couple of losses. Your blog has been very helpful to me especially in the morning sickness department as i started throwing up sometime at week 4 with no rest till my dr gave me some zofran at the last appointment and it has helped a bit.

    I am only 8 weeks now so no idea on gender yet.

    ReplyDelete
  16. congratulations on finding out you guessed right and it was a boy. I am so happy that the viral infection did not interefere with the baby's development. I know it must of worried you a lot. We didn't find out with either of our girls what gender they were going to be. I love surprises and I thought what better surprise then that. I am so glad the children were able to see the ultrasound to and met their brother for the first time. I hope your family has an incredible Easter weekend. Clare

    ReplyDelete
  17. How exciting!!! Congratulations! I will say, your boys are gorgeous...this one will be no different!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations are your newest little wonder. I am sure your children are all exceedinly excited for their new baby brother to arrive. Keeping you in our prayers for a wonderful pregnancy and delivery.

    --Mrs. Mari

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congrats on another healthy baby.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congrats! I wanted to decline an ultrasound with baby #2 but my MW said that it's a good idea to know where the placenta is, especially since we want a home birth as if it is over the cervix there can be a lot of bleeding. So ultrasound it is, and we will find out the gender, but we don't share names before the baby is born either :o).

    A question, did you find your nausea varied a lot between pregnancies? I had HG with DD, was sick right till the day she was born, yet this time around I am hardly nauseous, I'm 10 weeks along and feeling pretty good. DH thinks baby is a boy because of that. I was a bit worried about if everything was ok but heard the babies heartbeat loud and clear yesterday... It will be hard if I get sick again with #3, as it's so wonderful to not be throwing up every half hour!!

    ReplyDelete

Your KINDLY WORDED, constructive comments are welcome, whether or not they express a differing opinion. All others will be deleted without second thought.