Friday, March 16, 2012

Breakfast Greens

This is a great side dish any time of day, but I love to eat it with some toast and eggs for breakfast. Getting leafy greens first thing in the morning seems to give me that much needed energy boost for the day, and it's a nice change of pace from green smoothies.
 



Ingredients

 

1 bunch chard, kale, or spinach
2 tomatoes (optional)
2 garlic cloves
salt
pepper
olive oil


1. If using chard or kale, tear the leaves off the stems in large chunks. Discard stems, use them for compost, or feed them to your chickens if you have any. Wash and spin greens in salad spinner.



2. Set a large skillet over medium heat.


3. While skillet it heating, peal and mince garlic cloves, and cut tomatoes into large chunks.


4. When skillet is hot, add about 2 tbsp olive oil, and minced garlic.



5. Sautee garlic briefly, maybe 30 seconds.


6. Add greens, and cook briefly, until slightly wilted.



7. Add tomatoes and continue to cook until they become slightly tender, maybe another minute or two.



8. Remove skillet from heat, salt and pepper to taste. Done! Enjoy!

9 comments:

  1. Looks awesome and easy-peasy!!! Thanks. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never tried greens for breakfast but I love that idea. :) I have been thinking some about those amber necklaces that you have used for your little one. Do you know how they work exactly? My littlest one is cutting teeth and I am curious about them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOoh I will have to try this! I can never think of anything to do with veggies, especially trying to get in all I need in a day. They're either plain on the side, in soups/stew or a salad... which gets pretty boring. Thanks for sharing!

    -Karen E

    ReplyDelete
  4. For grown up palates, this is awesome with some finely sliced red onion and about a tablespoon of balsamic vinegar added at the same stage as the garlic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favorite breakfast is everything in a skillet- eggs and veggies like potatoes, onions, tomatoes, mushrooms, and spinach... topped with cheese. Greens definitely don't seem strange to me for breakfast. I love throwing them in a skillet with stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got organic rainbow chard for a buck50 at sprouts and made this, I LOVED it! thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for this recipe. I plan on making it for the weekly men's meeting at our church every Saturday morning. I hope they will appreciate a healthy addition to the rest of the normal food items prepared. I know I will.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I did make it for the men's meeting using kale this morning and they LOVED it. I am adding this to my ever growing recipe collection. Thank you very, very much.

    ReplyDelete

Your KINDLY WORDED, constructive comments are welcome, whether or not they express a differing opinion. All others will be deleted without second thought.