Monday, November 7, 2011

Snail Mail to the Rescue

It's been a rough day around here today, as well as last night, but I will spare you the details, 'cuz they ain't pretty. Life with lots of little kids is never boring (and nights are never quite long enough).

But, wouldn't you know it, we received not one, or two, or three, but FOUR packages in the mail today from various people around the country and around the world who all listen to my husband's sermons online, and each of them wrote such kind, encouraging words. It really helped make my day a lot better, even though two of the packages were actually for my husband, not me. 




One very sweet lady sent us a box of horse chestnuts! Thank you SO MUCH! We will be using them to craft little critters out of chestnuts and toothpicks tomorrow. Another dear lady sent me a gift card for Amazon, my favorite playground. Wow, I am just so humbled that people who have never even met me in real life would be so kind and generous. Most of all, it really is so wonderfully encouraging to read their kind words. 

As cold waters to a thirsty soul, so is good news from a far country. - Proverbs 25:25

Speaking of mail, thank you so much to everyone who has sent us a postcard for our Cantering the Country and Galloping the Globe homeschool unit studies! We have mounted laminated US and world maps in the hallway of our house, with lots of room around them to display the various postcards we have received so far. On each map, we put a little post-it arrow wherever we received a card from, with the name of the sender.




I have also updated the Google map on the right in my sidebar. If you do not see a pushpin for a card you sent, please leave me a comment. I did double-check every single envelope against the map, so if it is not on there, I most likely never received it.

And no, it is NOT too late to send us a postcard!! We would love to get at least one card from every single state, and from as many countries overseas as we can. If you live in a place where there is no virtual pushpin on the map yet, please let that challenge you to mail us a postcard. The Midwest is still pretty bare, as is the West Coast.

This has been a great project, and I would love to thank each and every one of you who have already taken the time and trouble to mail us anything. Our children get so excited every time a letter comes addressed to them, and I have been encouraged by all your kind words. Of course, I also have a major traveling itch now... I would love to load everyone up in a motorhome and travel up and down the country, visiting all the places we have been hearing about. One can dream, right? "Pastor Anderson, on tour!" I can see it now - NOT!

Thank you everyone for being such a help with our homeschooling, and such an encouragement to our family. Now if someone could just send me some chocolate... :)

10 comments:

  1. I see someone has already sent you a postcard from Australia... and a jar of vegemite! Lol. What do you mean an aquired taste? It's the best on hot toast!! Or in a sandwich with iceburg lettuce, or in a sandwich with chips! (do you call those crisps or something in the states?) Vegemite is awesome! Aussie, Aussie, Aussie! Oi, Oi, Oi! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vegemite with avacardo or tomato is awesome! or Vegemite and cheese....The new cheesymite spread tastes pretty good :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Jessie-Bessie I never in a million years would hVe thought of putting vegetate and avocado together!!! :O lol. Sounds, er, interesting! :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad your day went better in the end, Zsuzsanna!

    I always find that if my morning is rough, usually the afternoon goes much better and vice versa! God must know we couldn't handle a full day of it!

    Can't wait to see what you guys do with the conkers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Someone that likes the new cheesymite??????? lol, You are genuinly the first person I've met who likes it, congrats!

    Tiger toast is where it's at guys! Butter and vegemite on toast, and then take some cheese and cut it into long strips which you arrange on the toast to make it look like a tiger, the lines of vegemite are the stripes and the cheese is the yellow orange fur.

    Also, vegemite makes a very very tasty addition to rissoles and meatloaf etc. A heaped teaspoon in one loafpan worth of meatloaf gives a great flavour

    ReplyDelete
  6. ...hVe and vegetate... Boy oh Boy was I tired when I wrote that! lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. @abba12 that sounds so cute, but I'd eat it before I could decorate it, lol! Be neat for the kids though. Have you guys tried Marmite? It's disgusting! Haven't tried cheesymite, happily hooked on vegemite. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also am glad to see a box of horse chestnuts!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay! You got them. I mentioned to my husband at breakfast this morning if you guys every received our package. I was worried it got lost.

    I would love to send the children a postcard when I get one.

    All our pleasure. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so thankful you received such gifts when you needed them. I have a few friends in the Midwest and I'll see what I can do on that front. Until then, may someone send you chocolates!

    God bless you, Dad, and the six,

    Mindy

    ReplyDelete

Your KINDLY WORDED, constructive comments are welcome, whether or not they express a differing opinion. All others will be deleted without second thought.