Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Where there's a will, there's a way

Some of you may have heard me talk about Bountiful Baskets before. We have been participating in their produce co-op for at least three years now. In the last year or so, it sadly has become very disappointing in terms of quality and quantity.

Last week, I explored the option of instead starting my own "mini co-op" with local friends that I know are into healthy/organic eating. Many of these I know from being a drop site for Azure Standard, another great co-op we get most of our groceries from.




I found the wholesale produce house that Bountiful Baskets originally started from. It is just a few miles from my house and they sell organic produce by the case to the public. After contacting my local people, there were a total of 10 of us pooling $20 each this Saturday. Here is what we each got (all organic):

2 large canteloupes
1 3-lb bag of potatoes
2 heads of green cabbage
5 1-lb bunches of carrots
3 large onions
5 tomatoes
2 1/2 bunches of kale
1 box of fresh green figs
about 4 lbs of green grapes
1 lb of nectarines
1 lb of pluots
5 limes

All that for TWENTY BUCKS!! Needless to say, we will keep doing this every week from now on. 

I hope this is an encouragement to you if you are committed to providing your family with only the best nutrition, on a limited budget - there are ways you can make it work. Where there's a will, there's a way.

7 comments:

  1. Wow! That is amazing. Your making my wheels turn and going to see what I can find here in the Atlanta area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So JEALOUS! All that for $20! So wish we had access to such a wide variety of organic fruits and veggies.

    I've just gotten the number of one guy who is doing org box deliveries...though I am nervous to begin again. I've done the box scheme thing before, and like you, experienced a decline in quality over the months. I guess we'll have to at least give it a shot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I wish there were better options available here, or other people with the same mindset! I was part of a co-op, but I got tired of recieving half a dozen zuchini and/or eggplant, bags of carrots, and huge bunches of celery and kale, all vegetables we eat only limited amounts of, while never recieving peppers or spinach or squash, and only recieving small, 1 pound bags of potatoes and maybe 2 onions if I was lucky, perhaps a small bunch of broccoli once every few weeks. It got to the point where we were throwing out half the box every week.

    A store opened near my grandmothers just last month stocking local produce though. It's not officially organic, though some of it is, but it is local, far fresher than the stores, and cheaper too. I got a huge box of wonderful fresh veg very affordably last week, and while only perhaps 1/3rd was organic, the rest was still backyard or small farm grown, so probably had much less chemicals, and here in australia the organic range in the supermarket is VERY limited.

    There's options out there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I spent $52 at the grocery store this morning and didn't even get 1/2 that I bet!~ WOW!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too wish we had something like this near us as well. *sigh* I hate how they want us to eat organic but we have to break the bank to do so. You are blessed!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How exactly do you know that the produce you purchased is really organic. Other than the company saying so, how do they prove it to you?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the link to Azure Standard! I am going through their catalog. Are there any products in particular that you buy there?

    BTW, made a recipe of yours yesterday - the "Autumn's Bounty Soup" from last year. It was great!

    ReplyDelete

Your KINDLY WORDED, constructive comments are welcome, whether or not they express a differing opinion. All others will be deleted without second thought.