Thursday, September 22, 2011

It's a zoo arond here...

We have been having such a great homeschooling schedule this year. The boys are now old enough to work without constantly distracting each other. Plus, now that I have more "students" than kids who mostly just play, the older ones aren't just constantly trying to sneak off and get out of working because their younger siblings are playing. Make no mistake, they really are not overworked and deprived of time with their younger siblings - they have all of their "seat work" (i.e. boring Math and English worksheets and books) done before lunch every day, leaving our afternoon time for the funner, more hands-on interactive subjects such as history, science, geography, German, art, etc. 



And then there are the almost daily things we do for fun. That's where the "zoo" part comes in.
So far in the last 2 weeks, we have...
  • gone to the zoo - sadly, no pictures because I forgot my camera at home. I was surprised how much water the kids kept downing during our 5-hour visit, until I got back to the car and saw that it was 109 degrees outside. That's fall weather, alright!
  • done face paints: I am practicing for the chili cook-off our church is hosting next month




  • had a visit from Grandma

 

  •  gone to the aquarium


  • gone on a field trip to a local pizza restaurant with other kids from our church




  • seen two of our chickens start laying eggs

  •  done lots of art projects




  • and had a private church party at a local trampoline and skate park - no pictures because Dad took all the kids while I stayed home and got caught up on chores without little people destroying it all again behind my back. In retrospect, I should have just sat down or taken a bath or something of the sort instead, because the monkeys had all my work completely undone by the next evening. 
I have been doing some extra sewing this week. Also, last month I started running every other day or so (ha! imagine that!). At first all was well, but after about my fourth time my right knee started feeling like someone was pounding a metal stake into it - all day long. It literally made me limp. I laid out for almost two weeks to let it heal, and am now happy to report that my knee is no longer in pain and I am back to running. I go at a nearby park when my husband is home, when he is not I go on the treadmill - for about 25 minutes each time. I get up early enough to run, and then even have time to shower and get ready, before anyone else is up. Let me tell you, running outside is a lot harder than on the treadmill. Plus, you have to wonder what people think when they see a fat mommy in a skirt doing laps at the park - but hey, being dignified is not nearly as important as adding years to my life, right?? (haha...) Hopefully everyone is too busy watching TV to look out their front window and notice me.

Well, it's back to the grind for now. Today, we are doing the usual stuff in the morning and working on German and doing piano lessons in the afternoon. Then I'm sure the kids will twist my arm into making them a treat or doing something fun, and bedtime will be here before I know it. 

Have a great day, everyone! :)

8 comments:

  1. Dear Zsuzsanna, While I understand your reasons for homeschooling, I wonder how you are approaching their teenage years. Here in England, importance is increasingly placed on the results of public exams taken at 16 and 18, and without these qualifications, it is much harder for people to find jobs or gain university places. How does it work in the US? If there are public exams, how are you planning to approach them through homeschooling?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the same issue (knee pain) when I first started running. From what I read, it has to do with your leg muscles becoming strong enough to support what you're doing. Mine also passed (although there was a week where I couldn't climb stairs.) Have fun with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your mom looks so young! Sounds like you have some great things going on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Zsuzsanna,

    I was just trying to wok out what color eyes your children have, I can see from the photos they are quite dark, but are they mostly brown, green, hazel or grey?

    Alice

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's so exciting that you're getting chicken eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Am I the only person that's gobsmacked impressed? Pizza making, face painting, zoo visiting, lesson teaching, aquarium visiting, running in a skirt, and thinking up lesson plans--I love the construction paper tree for math. You do more than I do in a month! Wow!

    Think of the skirt as resistance training, especially when it's windy, ha ha! When will we see you run a marathon?! I'm curious what a pedometer would say when you wore it on a typical day, especially for those that think you're drinking lemonade on a porch whilst your children fend for themselves.

    And what is with children growing so much over the summer? They're all getting so big, and Anna is really getting some hair!

    God bless you, Dad, and the six,

    Mindy

    P.S. Curious what you're teaching in history this year--and are you still going over the American states?

    ReplyDelete
  7. P.S. Alice--I'd love to know the answer to your question, too! One of the things that fascinates me about large families is how unique or similar each child looks in comparison, even if it's a family of say, 19 or so children.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Teri,

    that was actually my husband's mom, not mine. But yes, she DOES look very young! More importantly, she is the sweetest lady you will ever want to meet.

    Alice,

    most are brown like my husband, one is blue, and one green. Anna is still blue, but I have seen them change color as late as age 2, so I'm not holding my breath.

    Mindy,

    Thank you so much for your kind comments. They really are an encouragement! :)

    Surprisingly, running in a skirt is not a problem at all (I was wondering whether it would be or not). There seriously is no extra resistance at all.

    As far as the kids, their personalities are very different from one another. To us, they also look very different, but I think to outsiders they look a lot alike (kind of like identical twins are to parents vs. others).

    Blessings to you also! :)

    ReplyDelete

Your KINDLY WORDED, constructive comments are welcome, whether or not they express a differing opinion. All others will be deleted without second thought.