Sunday, August 28, 2011

I love Sunday afternoons

All week long I look forward to Sunday afternoons. The way it works out with the morning service and lunch, all three girls nap at the same time right after we are done eating. My husband is almost always out for church between the morning and evening services, and the boys are already used to having their "silent times" every day so it's no different for them on Sundays. We try to get the chores caught up on Saturday, and being gone for church on Sunday morning helps with the house staying reasonably clean. 




All these factors combined make for one quiet, relaxing afternoon for me! Of course there are some weeks where it doesn't work out this way, but that is rare now that I have made it a priority to make Sunday afternoons happen. As I am typing, John is lying on the floor behind me playing Legos, while Isaac and Solomon are reading in the living room. The girls are napping, the dishes are running, the laundry is caught up - PEACE!

Two puppies laying on the floor

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Since it has been one week exactly since we got our puppy, Lucy, I thought I should fill the concerned ladies at Free Lucy Free Jinger in on how she is doing, lest they start some new rumor that we are being investigated by an animal welfare agency. Just kidding, I just wanted to give an update on the doggie anyway.



For one, Lucy is very smart. Either that, or I am one awesome puppy trainer. She has only had 3 accidents on the floor in the house this whole week. Now, when she needs to go, she stands by the front door. She doesn't yet make any noise to tell us she needs to go out, and she doesn't "hold" it, so we basically just take her out as soon as she wakes up and starts walking toward the door. After she comes back in, she plays for about a half hour, and then goes to sleep for about two to three hours, at which point the cycle starts over. During the night, I don't see/hear her getting up, so I put a puppy pad by the door for her. To my amazement, she only ever goes pee on that now during the night, or if we are gone from the house for more than three hours and she has to go - never on the floor.

I bought her a kennel of her own this week, and she cried miserably when I put her in it. I let her "cry it out" - hey, she is not my newborn! :) By now she is doing much better in the kennel, although I have no plans of actually making her stay in there. I just want her to learn to be happy in there for those times that she needs to go in it (like if we have company and their kids are scared of dogs, or if she needs to go in the car, etc.)

Lucy likes going in the backyard and hanging out with our big lab. She also likes to sneak into our or the boys' bedroom at night, and curling up at the foot of the bed. She knows she is not allowed in the bedrooms, so she waits until we are in bed and then quietly traipses in there. I think it's cute enough to make an exception, so I pretend I don't notice. I read that chow chows are a very dominant breed, so I don't want her to get the idea that I am intentionally letting her disobey.

All the kids are still very much in love with her. Anna pointed for the first time ever this week, and it was at the puppy. She also squeals and babbles to her. She loves sitting on the floor with me and playing with the puppy. 



We had to give Lucy a bath once this week, and she looked like a wet lamb, her fur is so thick. The girls enjoy brushing her, while John and Isaac are mostly the ones taking her out on her potty breaks. Lucy likes playing with the kids' toys, and while she playfully nibbles on stuff, she doesn't actually put chew marks on anything (yet?). I did get her some cowhide chews, too, which she likes.

~~~~~~~~~~~

I am off to sew now. We got a bunch of really cool fabric this week at the thrift store and a local fabric store. So far, I have made Miriam a new swimsuit. I still need to make one for Becky, and I am also making four in adult sizes as gifts in the next couple of weeks. Modesty aside, I think these swim suits also offer great protection from too much exposure to the scorching sun.

 The front

 There are leggings underneath

 The back

Also, Solomon asked me to make him a new bag for his piano books out of some fabric he really liked, and Isaac needs one because he is starting formal lessons (as opposed to me and my husband teaching him, which is hit-and-miss) in two weeks with the same sweet teacher who has been giving Solomon lessons for two years now. She is truly a wonderful piano teacher, and we are very excited for Isaac.  

~~~~~~~~~~~

Ironically, the most trying time of my entire week is Sunday night after we get home from church. It's late, the kids are always hungry again no matter how much I feed them before church, they are all hyper and dirty, and I am sooo tired. I call it the "witching hour". Gotta take the good with the bad!

23 comments:

  1. I would love to see how you make the swimsuit since I also want to make some for me and my girls but very intimidaded by it. So you like the patterns on that link? I wonder if I could find one online for free or cheaper. Enjoy the rest of your Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This has nothing to do with the post, but If you ever do another Q+A could you explain what Legalism means. I know it means someone teaching you have to do a work to get saved. Teaching something is a principle from the Bible is not Legalism. Legalism always has to do with salvation, that is what that word means. So many people use that word and don't understand it. I was wondering what you thought about this subject or if you could write something on it. People get very confused and think teaching to wear skirts, ect. is legalism. It is not, I would like to know how to explain it better to people. Thanks, Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should sell those cute swimsuits on etsy in your "spare" time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW!!!! I LOVE LOVE the swimsuit, and Miriam looks absolutely beautiful in it. This is exactly what I was looking for! I am SO excited to make these for my daughter (and maybe even myself) next summer. I didn't see the pattern the first time I saw that website, so thank you for posting the link. That is something we can afford! I was getting a little discouraged because I haven't found anything in our thrift stores--thanks for such a helpful post and great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous! Miriam looks so sweet in her new swimsuit!

    Glad you are able to enjoy some relax time on Sundays!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Miriam looks like a little mermaid! Some children just take to the water and swim like fish!

    What a neat memory it'll be for Annie when you tell her about the first time she pointed and it was at the 'huppy Lucy!' But, BABBLING?...will Lucy wind up with verbal disabilities as she will be unable to speak due to it?!

    On a serious note, you mentioned the sun and heat in 'Zona (duh). I'm a redhead and have super pale skin, as do several members of my family. Worries about skin cancer may seem a thing of vanity, but I have seen a member of my family pass away from it and several have required (as in medically required to function properly) plastic surgery. Protection is crucial, there are all sorts of sunblock, but the cheapest does the same job as the most expensive! Hats help too!

    Mindy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had never seen a swimsuit like that ! Actually, as women are not supposed to show their thights according to the bible, I had always wondered what kind of swimwear you could possibly have. Here is my answer :)
    Is is comfortable ? I mean, doesn't the skirt part stop your moves ? I don't go swimming a lot, we don't have a pool (I live in a flat in the center of a town), and the nearest public pool is a bit too far. I sometimes go to the sea, we have a lovely seashore in Belgium, but not so often. I wear normal swimsuit, though, usually with a long T-shirt.
    I have to say Miriam is lovely, even more in such a pretty bathsuit !

    I'm still delighted to hear Isaac and Solomon are taking piano lessons. Are the other children musicians, too ?
    I started playing the guitar when I was 8, and I'm 19 now, so basically it's a huge part of my life. I think music is something very important, especially "classical" music (I mean, not songs, but only instruments). I am always so happy when my guitar is between my hands, and I am totally sure that piano players feel exactly the same.
    I'm sure Solomon play very well, and Isaac soon the same !

    ReplyDelete
  8. the swimsuit looks really good to me. the puppy and kids look good, too. the first swimsuit I saw liked that looked really ridiculous to me, but this one looks really good. I didn't even see the leggings at first. The first suit I saw on an adult had really puffy and long sleeves and really long leggings, just not my style, I guess. I like the swimsuits in the stores I have seen the last decade or so that have skirts and shorts. I have NO desire to every where a high cut swimsuit again. I started feeling like it was unfair to the sexes. Guys got to wear shorts almost down their knees, and I was stuck having to make sure my body looked all perfect and was even shaved (which doesn't seem quite right when I got to thinking about it all). It just seemed wrong. I guess some of these suits just make them even longer. I have no problem with my knees showing, so I'd go with a little shorter one than some I have seen.......but I definitely like a nice length short or skirted one.....probably a skirt with shorts underneath.....Nice Job........

    ReplyDelete
  9. where's the scripture about not showing your thighs? I'm not sure I have read that. I guess maybe my family would be damned bc we grew up just down the street from a community pool and we were there everyday and every summer. they had diving and swim teams that always wore the racer one-pieces, but we never were on teams. we just had big fun down at the pool eating green grapes and playing cards, etc........:) does the scripture apply to all females or just after you become a woman??? how far down does your thigh stop, so how long does your suit have to be?? It seems I have also heard people talk about swimming after a woman has started menstruating or while menstruating?? So, what is the scripture and what are the answers to my questions......Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. ok, since I just saw this mentioned on another sight I don't fee so stupid asking. How did God clothe Adam and Eve and what did their children wear?? Were these rules in place even at that point.....I'm thinking of the scripture mentioned above about not showing your thighs. They were naked and unashamed, and then what exactly happened after that. What are the rules for men???? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Miriam's swimsuit looks beautifully made, you did a good job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I searched for information and the following discussion came up....... I just sent three anon. posts to you. This is Robyn in Alabama........along with my questions about thighs, can you talk a little on "uncovering nakedness". What's the exact definition? At what age is this supposed to be enforced?? At what point are parents not supposed to bathe their opposite sexed children? When should siblings not bathe together anymore?.......just wondered?? How do you handle these issues in your family? I do understand that nakedness has to do with shame, for sin. Just about bathing, I do remember being little and asking my dad why he got to see us naked and we didn't get to see him naked???? I was really young, and there was nothing weird going on, I guess I was just getting old enough to pick up on that. Just two living girls in my family and my sister was four years older. I also remember when she got to a certain age she didn't want to have the same bath, and play, with me. I was apparently disappointed but I understand she was growing up. What did Noah's son actually do to him and what was his punishment? I'm veering off but thinking of punishments, what was Cain's punishment? Where do different skin colors come from, and where do different languages come from?? Soooooooo many questions, and I'm sure I can come up with more. I'm not making fun of anything. I just have many questions that have really not ever been answered to me......Thanks, Robyn


    www.stufffundieslike.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=1840

    ReplyDelete
  13. another question I meant to add. On another IFB sight it was explaining dress in Bible times. I think they said that women wore nothing under their long robes, so is it wrong to wear leggings?? Just wondered. Also, did you ever resist some of these rules or teachings when you first heard them--until you understood the purpose, or did you accept all of them right off?? When did you change over to wearing dresses all the time? I had just read in the past about someone who did not want to submit at first, but then did, and it seem like all is fine now........Thanks! Robyn

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the swimsuit link, I am planning on making some, but I was going to just use a dress pattern, this might be better. Could you post a pic of one of the adult suits, the website dosen't give a good preview picture, and I'd like to know what it looks like before I shell out that much money. Is the pattern any different to a normal dress pattern in structure? I still may go ahead and use a dress pattern, I'm just worried there's something I need to modify for swimsuits that I've missed.

    Lol, the free jinger ladies wont like this, you're training your dog! You left it in a kennel you evil person :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have seen these type of suits even at swim meets. They do hinder the kids a little in terms of speed. However any child that is willing to stick to thier family beliefs and wear a modified suit in order to still do the sport I think is great. I give them a lot of credit for being willing to stick up for what they belive in. Most of the kids that I am thinking of come from Russian Orthadox families.

    - An Alaskan Swim Coach

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anyone want to take a friendly bet that Anna's first word is Lucy or puppy?! LOL!

    Mindy

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think Anna had already pronounced her first word, which was "mama" or something alike.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ahh, oh dear, could you kindly tell me where is the post Sibylle? My train is not on the tracks these days! Autumn cleaning and big tasks!

    Mindy

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've had indoor dogs that were kennel trained, and it's a nice way to keep them inside, yet prevents them from chewing everything while the family is at church. In the end, the dog will often go to the kennel because it's their den and they feel comfortable in it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You may want to be careful allowing Lucy around your children's toys. Its just a matter of time before she chews something up and its best that she learns early the difference between hers and theirs. Kong makes a wonderful thing called "puppy kongs." Theyre wonderful for when she begins mouthing things. If you have two you can fill them with peanut butter and keep one in the freezer at all times. It will satisfy her need to chew and protect your furniture, shoes, toys etc.

    ReplyDelete
  21. To Alaskan Swim Coach:

    Hello! My husband and his brother were born in Anchorage and it seems like he's never cold! How fun it must be to work with 'fish'!

    I recall the last couple of summer Olympics, both men and women wore what could best be described by unitards, but ones made out of material designed by NASA for what I'm sure was a goodly sum!

    An unintended plus, however, was that many women that did not believe (or weren't allowed by their governments) to compete at large swimming events in front of men or a mixed audience were able to compete because of them and the coverage they provided!

    Funny enough, it also leads me to a great example of sportsmanship. Dara Torres (she's worth looking up!) was about to start a race when she jumped off the starting block and started waving wildly at the race officials. She had noticed that one of the younger swimmers (not from the USA, that's all I recall) had pulled her suit top on at the last minute and it had ripped in a rather embarrassing place. The officials gave the young woman time to go into the locker room and change into her spare swimsuit, which I'm not sure was completely 'legal' Olympic-wise.

    Torres didn't win a gold at the last Olympics, 'just' a silver, but I would give her a gold for morals and spirit!

    Sorry, Zsuzsanna, I'm nursing my back and I've gone and highjacked your blog! Please forgive me!

    Mindy

    ReplyDelete
  22. http://stevenandersonfamily.blogspot.com/2011/06/odds-n-ends.html

    This is fourth paragraph :)
    "She learned to say "Mama!" just a few days before her half-birthday, making her our youngest child ever to do so (and only our second child to say "mama" before "dada")"

    (I must seem like a total weirdo ?! Having remembered this for so long ... Well I have good memory :( )

    ReplyDelete

Your KINDLY WORDED, constructive comments are welcome, whether or not they express a differing opinion. All others will be deleted without second thought.