- Summer has finally hit us in full force, but I really can't complain - this year, we actually had a lovely spring season with moderate temperatures up until very recently. Our pool is now bathwater temperature, and the water coming out of our faucets reminds me of lava.
- We got a quarter of beef last Friday. Boy, this must have been one big cow, because there was a ton of meat. It took me quite a while to rearrange everything in the freezers so I could fit it.
- While picking up the beef, I met another customer, a fellow German lady who embraces our ideas about freedom and government. She had even heard my husband speak at a rally in the past! More importantly, she is also a Christian. This week at church, we had a visitor who lives in Switzerland and listens to my husband's sermons online. He included a stop at our church during his vacation, to be at a service "live". Oh, I do get homesick for the old country often, but it was nice to meet two people in one week who are not as blinded as most of them are.
- Anna turned six months old earlier this month. Wow, time flies! She is cute as ever. She learned to say "Mama!" just a few days before her half-birthday, making her our youngest child ever to do so (and only our second child to say "mama" before "dada"). It is so cute. I just never tire of a little baby calling me mama. Anna was eager to try solids until she actually tasted them, but now most of the time she turns her nose up at any food and prefers to nurse. She is learning to sit up, and also tries scooting around when I lay her on her tummy. She is still very petite and oh so cuddly! It is hard to describe, but she is just so perfect and angelic.
- Becky, who is a chatterbox by nature, has just recently become really good at expressing herself. She has a pretty big vocabulary for a child her age, thanks to her older siblings. It is so funny the things she says in her funny little voice, and her facial expressions. She LOVES eating cereal, much to my dismay because I disdain the stuff and would never even buy it except for the fact that Becky is so slender I am glad for anything she eats a lot of. Which may or may not include bacon.
- Miriam is doing so well learning to sound out letters and blends. She is also great at learning her numbers, counting, etc. She is such a sweetheart. She cries if I even just go to the mailbox without her, because she just wants to be with me wherever I go. She is very mothering and loves babies and dolls.
- John had his half-birthday this last week, also. Like the rest of the kids, he has a heart of gold. He is doing really well on reading now, and actually has the confidence to think that yes, he CAN read books on his own. Tonight after the girls were in bed, I read a book to just him while the older boys were reading and playing on their own, and he was so happy and appreciative.
- Isaac is, as always, laid back and dependable. His math skills have skyrocketed this last year. He reads even more and faster than Solomon, and loves helping any way he can - taking care of the dog, being a buddy to the younger kids, or even carrying Anna when I am busy. He almost never gets a bad attitude about anything.
- Solomon continues to amaze us with his musical talent. I never once have to encourage him to practice piano playing - if anything, I have to tell him to stop so he can get his chores and school work done, too. It's hard to believe he is almost ten years old - I remember so clearly the day he was born, just like it was yesterday.
- I thought I should finish up the answers to the Q&A post from April. Then I realized that I have barely answered half of the questions. My apologies if you have asked something and are still waiting. I am plugging away at it bit by bit and will get it done one of these days.
- In the almost four years that I have been blogging, there have been times when I considered closing the blog, but these past couple of weeks I have almost done it several times. The thing that kept me from actually doing it was having unanswered questions that people had taken the time to type out and post, and I did not want to be a flake. Also, I love to go back to old posts and look at pictures and read about our memories. BTW, although the timing may suggest otherwise, it has nothing to do with all the hateful comments recently - I get them all the time, I just often choose not to publish any because certain people only become more contentious when they feel they have a platform. I could not care less about those comments - they honestly never bother or rile me. I told my good friend A that I was thinking about deleting the blog. When she asked me why, I didn't really have a good answer other than that I don't have any special kind of knowledge that cannot be gained elsewhere (in the Bible, online, in books, etc.). I am just me, which is nothing special, and I thought that maybe my time would be better invested offline. Blogging is pretty much my last and only hobby, so it's not like I am slacking in other areas of responsibility. I just don't feel I have much to offer besides what is already available online. Well, as you can tell, I am still here, but the subject is still on my mind - hence the recent lack of posting. Okay, so now I am sounding a little like a teenager threatening to run away from home. I just didn't want people to worry about me if I decide to leave the blogosphere.
- On a high note, here are some pictures:
We went to see a special balloon-making performance/story time at the library. Miriam and John got picked as some of the volunteers.
I am almost done with the boys' room. Pretty much the only thing left to make are the curtains. The boys LOVE to relax in their room and read during our daily "silent time".
Anna loves sitting in her bouncy chair in the shade outside by my side as I watch the kids in the pool for about an hour each afternoon. The sound of the waterfall and the happy voices of her siblings often lull her to sleep.
John LOVES drawing. Anytime I haven't heard from him in a while, I can be certain he is sitting at his desk in the school room drawing one picture after another. I wish I had a method for displaying all of his art work, as well as that of the other kids.
Have a wonderful weekend, everyone!