Just in time for your holiday get-togethers this weekend (or maybe a bit late...), here is one of our family's very favorite summertime desserts ~ Cookie Pizza.
- Start by setting a block or tub of cream cheese out on the counter to allow it to soften while you prepare the "crusts".
- Next, whip up a batch of basic sugar cookie dough:
2 sticks (1 cup) butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cream of tartar
2 3/4 cups flour (use all-purpose, or whole wheat pastry flour)
1. Cream butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Add vanilla and egg, continue to beat until creamy.
2. Add dry ingredients and mix to combine. Dough should stick together nicely without being too stick or crumbly.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper; sprinkle with flour.
- Shape half of the dough into a ball, set it on the baking sheet, sprinkle with more flour, and roll into a circle. The dough should be about 1/8 inch thick. If the dough sticks to the rolling pin, sprinkle with more flour.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 8-12 minutes, until the edges of the cookie are barely starting to turn golden. Slide the cookie off the baking sheet onto the counter or a chopping board and allow to cool. Repeat with the second half of the cookie dough.
- While the cookie pizzas are cooling, prepare the frosting:
8 ounce block or tub of cream cheese, softened
3/4 cup powdered sugar
about 1/2 Tbsp vanilla extract
1-2 Tbsp of milk, just enough to make frosting easily spreadable
Beat all ingredients in a mixing bowl on high speed until smooth and creamy.
- Spread half of frosting onto each of the two cooled cookie pizzas.
- Top each pizza with an assortment of fresh fruit. Our favorites are strawberries, blueberries, bananas, kiwi, and grapes - but any fruit will taste fantastic on it! Finish each pizza off with a sprinkling of shredded coconut flakes.
Prepare to be asked to make this again and again. There is something absolutely addictive about the combination of sugar cookies, cream cheese frosting, and fresh fruit.
If you try this recipe, please leave a comment below with your feedback and any tips you may like to share.