Saturday, May 21, 2011

Randomness

Just a quick intermission from answering the remaining questions in the most recent Q&A to share some random, disjointed thoughts.

  • Either I am getting used to the heat, or the summers here get cooler each year, or both. The weather has been balmy, and that in spite of the fact that we are in mid-May. Usually, May through October are the months with the hellish temperatures. We have been keeping the front door and back windows open all day long for a nice breeze, and leave the A/C off most days. Anna LOVES sitting in her bouncy chair by the front door and listening to the birds chirping.
  • The kids officially drove me insane this week. Not that they were being bad - they were just  being kids, and I am not the most patient of people. This morning, I felt my measure of patience for the day having expired before the clock struck 9 am. I thought it couldn't possibly get more challenging. Then someone threw up. A lot. I know my homemade banana waffles are awesome, but next time please don't scarf them down so fast that they turn right back around for a second (and much less appealing) viewing.
  • Why do so many people give Camping's prediction of the end of the world even a single thought? I have green bananas on the counter, and yes, I fully intend on seeing them turn ripe. 
  • The local news ran a story on homebirths being on the rise. I don't think there is any way they could have made the clip any more stupid than they did. Conventional maternity care is so sub-standard, all they can resort to is playing the fear card.
  • Hm, ask me how much I want to get up at 6:30 tomorrow morning to pick up our produce basket. Like, not at all? But yes, I love the produce. Except for the bananas that are always green.
  • I found an old wood and metal trunk at the thrift store a couple of weeks ago. It looks like the quintessential, stereotypical dress up trunk that kids find in the attic. It is huge, and an antique. It even has an ancient tag on the front with someone's name and address from long ago. I should probably try to sell it. Instead, I put it in the school room and filled it with the kids' costumes so the girls can play dress-up while the boys have to slave over their school books. Yes, I do play favorites, why do you ask? Being girls, they of course love the high heels even though I never wear any myself.


Doesn't that picture just make you smile?

  • Becky also loves this ballerina outfit. She is such a ham. Reminds me of how I must have been as a child. Not that I remember any details, I just know I was trouble, and so is she. In a lovable way, of course. I love how all of our kids smile a lot.


  • We were sent a wonderful package of goodies all the way from Maine! Included in it was a bottle of maple syrup that I think was harvested by friends of the sender of the package. The syrup had been bottled just a couple of weeks before we enjoyed it on some buttermilk pancakes for breakfast two days in a row. Without exaggeration, I can say that this was the best syrup I have ever had the pleasure of tasting. If there is a place to buy it, I want to know about it, and also tell the world. Sadly, we used the last of the maple syrup today on those awesome banana waffles I mentioned. No wonder the kids were scarfing them down.



  • Speaking of which, I am super hungry right now, but unless I quit eating hours before going to bed I never manage to shed any post-baby weight, no matter how little I eat during the day. I LOVE eating late at night when everyone else is asleep - it is the only way not to be interrupted. Of course, if the apocalypse really were to start tomorrow, I would be having bacon cheeseburgers, onion rings, Coke, and homemade fries right now. But it's not, so I have to go to bed hungry. Waaah!
  • Our church's Ladies' Tea Party was last Saturday. It was lovely. I tremendously enjoyed our special speaker, a pastor friend of my husband. The girls tremendously enjoyed eating as many sugar cubes as they wanted. Later that night, Solomon surprised me with a bouquet of flowers he had bought with his own money.


  • Anna is continuing to be a perfect angel. In fact, she is so perfect, I am beginning to doubt that she is even human. Here she is, asleep in her bouncy chair after watching the chaos in the house this morning and listening to the birdies outside. I love how her little hand is still holding on to the toy. Seriously, I do not understand why people jump through all these hoops to NOT have babies. They are such a priceless treasure.



  • Anna is still 100% breastfed, but she is SO eager to eat "real" food. She tries to lunge and rip food out of our hands a lot. When she watches us eating, she chomps her cute toothless gums. My midwife doesn't think she is old enough for solids quite yet, but yesterday I finally gave in and let her suck on a piece of apple - too hard for her to eat, she just got to taste the flavor of it.



  • Well, I'm off to bed now. Busy day ahead. Enjoy your weekend!

16 comments:

  1. Zsuzsanna, this post was a total cute-fest! Ballerina Becky looks so sweet! I think the photographs of Anna sleeping with her toy are my favourite though!

    Our Meg is also grabbing at food when she sits on my lap for mealtimes! Which may help somewhat, as I too am trying to shed the post baby pounds! Eeek!

    Thanks for entering my giveaway and "following"!

    Hope you enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great gift real maple syrup is! Yes, babies are priceless. I have a childhood friend that stopped speaking with me because I asked her to explain why she believes Harold Camping. I was sincerely interested. I heard it's suppose to be at 6PM. He did this before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry about the throw up bug; that is always so difficult! Anna is adorable.I agree with you completely about babies being such gifts. I cannot thank God enough for each one He sees fit to send me. They are little for such a short time. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your random posts. Are you still here by the way? 6 PM has come and gone here in NY and we are still here...no earthquake either! LOL! I just think it is so crazy how many people bought into Camping's lies. Don't get me wrong, if Jesus had come today I would have been THRILLED! But I just don't think Mr. Camping has it quite right. HA! Ya think? LOL! Your girlies are SUCH girly girls! I love their shoes. So cute. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, a couple of comments on your post:
    1)The whole "end of the world" thing is TOO RIDICULOUS to take seriously...I've laughed at it all week. I mean, God hasn't let the angels or Jesus know when He's coming back, but He chose to tell THIS MAN! lol
    2)The pics of your girls DO make me smile. They seem so happy!!!
    3)Baby Anna chewing on an apple CANNOT be bad for her even if she is not ready for solid food...very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sooo Glad that you all enjoyed the Maple Syrup! It sure is good stuff! Our good friends/ church family members make it right at their house and bottle it up! Yumm. We just ran out too :(
    I was able to go to the post office about the other items that were missing out of the package, but it seams as though no one has found any of it. I'm so sorry that the package arrived damaged!
    I am glad the syrup and a couple of things were in there though :)
    I Sooo know about girls and their love for dressing up and being princesses and ballerinas. They are so precious!
    I too, LOVE LOVE LOVE the pictures of Anna sleeping!
    Very sweet!
    She looks so peaceful and content!!!
    Well, Have a great week!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, Anna has the biggest eyes I have ever seen. How cute is she munching on an apple. She just wants to eat all the nummy food that her older sibling's eat. I very much enjoy seeing pics of your sweet, beautiful children. And my heart just melts when I see a boy giving his mommy flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Would you please share the banana waffle recipe? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jesus IS God.... so I pretty sure he knows

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a question about your ring sling. Do you always wear it with the rings by your hip instead of near your shoulder? I've always worn mine like this http://sakurabloombabyslings.files.wordpress.com/2007/11/dsc_0069_1.jpg

    Do you find it's easier to wear it as you do? Do you change how you wear it as your babies grow? Just curious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Zsuzsanna;
    I've been enjoying reading your blog for a little while now (since having my own baby!)
    I just read this article and though 'uh-oh I wonder what the Andersons would make of this'.
    http://www.parentcentral.ca/parent/babiespregnancy/babies/article/995112--parents-keep-child-s-gender-secret
    God bless - Petra S.

    ReplyDelete
  12. from Petra S.
    I apologise that i didn't email you the article on the previous comment, my husband prefers me to keep my email private.

    ReplyDelete
  13. For the next Q&A:

    Not sure if you've covered this before (if you have, sorry!), but here goes anyway:

    Are your sons and husband circumcised?

    What are your views on this biblically (I only know the Old Testament commands Jews to circumcise, you would have a wider knowledge than me, hence why I'm asking!)?

    Assuming the Bible was silent on this (let's just imagine), what are your views from a pure health perspective (i.e. the argued health benefits vs. the argument that it is unnecessary mutilation etc etc)?

    ReplyDelete
  14. My husband and I joked about the 'coming rapture' all week as well, as 'the end' was coming on our anniversary. Traditionally, he picks how we celebrate, so he's been teasing me all week that he had nothing planned because, hey, it's the end of the world. He managed to pull through with surprises in the end, though. ;)

    We also had a relative in your area have her wedding day--I wish we could have been there--but I think we'll rib her about her 'End of the World Wedding' for a long time--although, indeed, in a way, it is a new life for them, isn't it?

    Anna--oh, could she be any more lovely? I really think not. Those eyes!

    I'm sorry someone loved the syrup so much they wanted to see it again--I'm sure it was better going down. There's an old song "Mama Said There'd Be Days Like This" and I understand why your patience-meter can run low--everyone's does, and most don't have nearly the workload you do!

    The Lord Be With You and the Family,

    Mindy

    The LORD is good, a strong hold in the day of trouble; and he knows them that trust in him. Nahum 1:7

    Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus. Revelation 14:12

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! In the same section as the article on midwifery (which is just...silliness) there is a woman that carried a baby boy in her abdomen for 32 weeks. What a miracle!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Becky,

    sorry to just now answer your question. I wear the sling with the rings on my shoulder for carrying the baby. For nursing, however, I wear it with the rings on the hip opposite the side I am feeding on. For example, if I want the nurse on the right side, I will have the rings on the left hip. That way, I have much more fabric to fan out over my right arm to cover the baby and my partially exposed midsection. The downside is that the sling offers less support, but I have gotten very used to that position.

    ReplyDelete

Your KINDLY WORDED, constructive comments are welcome, whether or not they express a differing opinion. All others will be deleted without second thought.