Friday, April 29, 2011

Sneak Preview

Just a super quick post... and yet again "just" a life update and nothing interesting like answers to all the good questions in the most recent Q&A, a post about how to feed a family of 12 organic food on a grocery budget of $100 per week, or how to make Nutella at home from scratch in large quantities. The last two are made up, of course - just my own little pipe dreams. :)

You may know that I am re-doing the boys' bedroom this week. It really was not intended as the project that it is turning out to be. The plan was simply to change the bunk bed to a triple bunk, move Solomon in with Isaac and John, and give Miriam and Becky a room together. Our house has four bedrooms, but we keep one as an office/guest room. 

Solomon was sad about leaving the room he has been sharing with Miriam up until now, because he had it decorated with all his space decorations, a lot of which he had made himself. To make the move more desirable, I told him the new boys' room would be decorated in a theme of their choosing. They settled on an outdoor/woods/cabin theme, and so began a project much bigger than I had originally intended. 

Last week, I stained and sealed all the pieces of the wooden bunk bed. This week, I moved the furniture out of the boys' room, and painted it blue and green (sky and grass). Yesterday, my husband built the new triple bunk bed and moved all the mattresses in, and the kids slept the first night together in their new bed. Also yesterday, I started on the murals for the room. In all, there will be three: a bear cave covering the closet door and the room door, a tree on the corner to the right of it, and a bear sleeping on the ground left of it. I will draw other small details all over, such as blades of grass sticking out, dragonflies buzzing around, bear paw prints along the other walls, etc. Today, I got the bear done, but just as I was about to start on the tree, Annie woke up hungry. Now it's too late, plus the boys are in there sleeping so I shouldn't be turning the lights on in their room 

Do you want to see what it looks like so far? 







There is still a lot left to do. Once I am done with all the paint work, I am sewing a rug made to look like a bear skin. Then I need to make curtains, and matching little decorative pillows and day blankets for all the beds. And a few others things like that - I'll share pictures when I am all finished. 

Anyway, just thought I'd share an update. Please forgive me if you have emailed me in the last week, or left a comment, and have still not received a reply from me.

20 comments:

  1. That is AWESOME! Looks great! I'm jealous ;) I'm sure your boys are loving it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny you should post about Nutella, my mum shared this on her Facebook last night :)

    http://www.italymag.co.uk/italy-featured/recipes/how-make-nutella

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's incredible!!!!! Never in a million years would I be able to pull that off. I always let my kids (ages 16 mos to 14) read your posts, but they CANNOT see this one!!!!

    in His peace,
    Miriam

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! It looks soooo great! What a nice idea for a boy's room. Good Job! Did you paint the bear free-hand or is it a decal? How great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks so cool! What a fun place for your boys to grow up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It does look amazing!! Great job! My boys would definitely love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow the bedroom looks great. The murals on the wall are awesome. Great job. It certainly clears up a lot of floor space for the boys.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Your boys look so happy! The room looks fantastic! I love the triple bunk also...I only hope to be as blessed one day to need one, ha!

    I hope your boys enjoy their new bedroom!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! I'm impressed! Did you freehand the bear and the cave? You are inspiring me to do something new with my kid's rooms!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks so great! Love the beds too. I'm going to have to show my friend. They have five kiddos in a three bedroom house and this would definitely solve some of their space issues:) Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful! You are a woman of many talents, my goodness you are always doing some great projects!

    Love the bunks too!

    Blessings,
    Christy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the bunk bed! The rest of it looks so AWESOME! What are you going to do for the girl's room?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow that is great , you did a good job on those walls and the bed is nice , I may have to have one like that sometime for the girls , if only we could have had a room like that when we were kids ....

    ReplyDelete
  14. For someone who is only an amature painter those murals look professional. Very impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks great! I look forward to seeing the finished product!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The boys' room looks great! And how sweet is Anna just lounging on her brother's bed?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the triple bunkbed. I'm going to show this to my triplet mom friend with three boys.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fantastic! I can only hope they were inspired by Mammoth Cave ;).

    Mindy

    ReplyDelete
  19. WOW, just wow! Love it! :)

    ReplyDelete

Your KINDLY WORDED, constructive comments are welcome, whether or not they express a differing opinion. All others will be deleted without second thought.