Monday, March 7, 2011

Menu plan

Someone asked me to post my menu plan, so here is this week's.

Breakfasts

Dinners

  • Corn, rice, and bean burritos
  • Homemade pizza, salad
  • Fish fillets with mashed potatoes and steamed veggies
  • Chicken enchilada soup like Chili's
  • Pork chili verde with brown rice and refried beans
  • Enchilada lasagna
  • Spaghetti, garlic bread, salad
Other

    As you can see, we eat pretty typical fare, maybe a little leaning toward "Tex Mex" (okay, a LOT). I only cook breakfast and dinner as for lunch we always have leftovers from the previous night's dinner. It's just easier that way because our mornings are busy with school work, errands, and housework. 

    I typically plan 7 or 8 breakfasts, and an equal number of entrees. I also write down any other special meals I need to make that week. This could be a dessert, food for a church function (this week it's a baby shower), or something of the sort. However, I do not assign any particular meal to any certain day. When it's time to cook, I simply pick the meal that sounds the best that day, or that fits the schedule best, and check it off the list. If we end up not making all the meals that week, I start the next week's list with those meals.

    On the back of the meal list, I write my grocery list. Most weeks, I go grocery shopping on Monday. Because we order a lot of our food monthly through Azure Standard, get a produce basket from Bountiful Baskets every other week, and buy our milk and meat from local producers, there is not that much that I end up having to buy at the store. Mostly, I can get by with just hitting up one store, or maybe two. Because we eat only organic, this could be Whole Foods, Traders Joe's, Costco, or a local health food store.


    To make meal planning easier, several months ago I made a "master list" on my computer of the meals I cook most often. When I feel out of inspiration, I look at the list to find meals I haven't made in a while, or that I already have all the ingredients for. It helps a lot. I also printed the list and glued it into the back of my weekly planner. 


     They say having a child is like having your heart walking around outside of your body for the rest of your life. I say that's true, but it's also like having your BRAIN leave you. Without lots of lists and planning, I can't seem to get near as much accomplished. 

    Note: Please excuse the poor photo quality. I had to send the lens for my camera in last week (still under warranty), and since I don't have another lens, I can only take photos on my phone. For some reason, my phone's camera is also messed up. That, too, is under warranty still, but it's not worth the trouble to have to change phones (again). My writing is messy because I am a messy writer I was nursing the baby in my right arm while writing these list. 

    P.S. Don't forget about my GIVEAWAY!

    11 comments:

    1. I love to see menus. It is inspiring.

      ReplyDelete
    2. Simply LOVE your menu planning. I don't have kids, but I HAVE to start doing this. I spend a small fortune in eating out and if I/we planned our meals better we'd not only eat healthier but we'd probably save ourselves a ton of money. Thank you very much for posting this!!

      ReplyDelete
    3. I think I left a comment asking for your menu. Thank you! I love reading menus, it's very encouraging and helpful.

      ReplyDelete
    4. Wow, such a good idea! I forgot that I was gonna come up with a menu list also. Thanks for the reminder! haha. I don't know what happened to my brain but it's soooo forgetful.

      By the way, thank you for the very nice comment on my blog. :)

      ReplyDelete
    5. Thanks, all! :)

      Jenny, I wasn't trying to flatter you, I just honestly think that you look great - and you've had six kids! That kids was just spouting off something he had heard somewhere.

      ReplyDelete
    6. I love menu plans.
      We currently have an 8 week menu plan for dinners, but I've never gotten myself organised enough for breakfast/lunch. Right now DH usually takes any leftovers for his lunch, and I just wing it. However now that our sweet little boy is beginning to eat some of our food I need to get more planning done for breakfast and lunch everyday.
      Thank you for the inspiration.

      ReplyDelete
    7. I just feel so much better about my meals when I make a menu and then shop from that. It is a great way to stay in control of spending, eating, time, etc. Sometimes I don't do it and I just wander around the store in a fog.
      When my kids were little I actually printed a master grocery list arranged the way the store was laid out. I'd go through the list every two weeks and put a check by what I needed.
      I can't believe I was once so organized. Must get back to that.

      I will confess to being envious of those who have a Whole Foods or Trader Joes. We only have WalMart and Kroger unless I want to drive an hour to Meijer. I saw my firt Trader Joes a few weeks ago in St. Louis but that's over 2 hours from us - a little far for grocery runs.

      Your menus look yummy. I'm inspired to start mine for next payday.

      ReplyDelete
    8. No excuse for it.
      Shame on you - messy handwriting!!
      Write every single word 10 times - NEATLY!

      Jenny

      ReplyDelete
    9. You mentioned picky eaters so I'm curious--I've wondered many times whether your kids all eat the food you prepare without complaining. I know mine can be picky and definitely does not like food that's too spicy, so we have to tailor our menus toward what he will eat more than I would really like to. Do you have any good tips for dealing with pickiness, or are any of your kids particularly picky?

      ReplyDelete
    10. Just to let you know, I'm coming for dinner Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday...

      : )

      Our dinners have been pretty uninspired. I just don't feel like cooking by the time 4 pm rolls around. I actually made lasagna the other day (because I had to use up some languishing sour cream and cottage cheese) and my family nearly fell over in surprise.

      ReplyDelete

    Your KINDLY WORDED, constructive comments are welcome, whether or not they express a differing opinion. All others will be deleted without second thought.