Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Two unlikely words to go together

Those words are "green" and "smoothie". There, I said it. :)

While some people probably think I have already taken healthy eating way too far, there are many things that I am not willing to do or try, no matter the purported health benefits. "Green smoothies" used to fall into this category for me. I mean, it even sounds weird. 

Then we all got sick last month. The only thing worse than being sick, is being sick and having six sick children to care for. I knew I needed to get better ASAP, and have enough energy to do what needed to be done. Leafy greens with their abundance of B vitamins always make me feel great and full of energy, but I really do not much enjoy eating them, especially raw. So, I figured these smoothies were at least worth a try. I had been reading about them repeatedly on another blog.

Well, I'm here to tell you that not only did I live to tell the story, but they actually taste GOOD. They really do. Even my husband likes them, as do several of the kids. To be honest, it tastes just like a fruit smoothie, and not "green" at all.

Since then, I have been making a green smoothie most mornings, and splitting it with whoever was interested in having some. 

I usually combine in the blender, in this order:



1 apple, cored
1 orange, peeled
1 banana, peeled (fresh or frozen)
1/2 cup blueberries, blackberries, or strawberries (fresh or frozen)
1 to 1 1/2 cups ice
1 to 1 1/2 cups water
2-3 cups spinach leaves 



This makes enough to fill about three tall glasses. It is a very quick and tasty way to get several servings of fruits  and leafy greens. Personally, I do not like eating breakfast, and really do not have time to sit down and enjoy one. As a result, I often do not have food until about 11 am - but I have enjoyed sipping on these smoothies during my busy mornings.

If you have never tried a "green smoothie" (I still cringe at the name), give them a try. You may be pleasantly surprised.


17 comments:

  1. Oh YUM! I agree...these are SO good! They may look nasty, but my oh my...the flavor is AMAZING! I found out about these on Lily of the Valley's blog as well. These smoothies are also really nice for trying to lose weight. I did very well on them. I will have to try your recipe as I am always looking for different recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been reading about them, too, but haven't tried it yet. I mostly don't think I could handle a 'pulpy' texture, since I'm guessing it doesn't blend completely smooth. I hate OJ with pulp! What did you think about the texture?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been doing these for the past month too! Love them! Got the idea from reading "Green for Life." I use a lot of lettuce and raw kale (along with the fruit) and they are really good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm excited to try this (and your rice pudding recipe too...) Thanks for the good ideas!!! Will report back on how it goes...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I may just have to give this a try. Thanks for posting the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't knock...added this one to my list of "Don't Knock-s"...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this post! I am so glad that you are enjoying them. I have a major sweet tooth, so I definitely wouldn't recommend them unless they were yummy! They are a terrific convenience food!

    ReplyDelete
  8. They are one of my favorite things to drink! The ones I make are very similar to your "recipe"; sometimes I add carrots too. Another good "recipe" is 1/2 a pineapple, 2 bananas, 1 or 2 large leaves of kale (remove the stems), 1/2 a can of coconut milk, and ice. I drank the pineapple ones a lot during my last couple weeks of pregnancy for the vitamin K.

    ReplyDelete
  9. They look yucky, but sound yummy! Ever since my last baby (during pregnancy and after) I have craved Spinach! I love to add it to my meals, especially salad or scrambled eggs. This smoothie actually sounds yummy to me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We've made these in the past, but haven't had them in a while. I really like them. We used kale, and spinach in ours. I think they always taste great with oranges or tangerines in the mix.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been wanting to give these a try, although fresh produce costs so much. It would, however, take care of the fruit and veggie servings one needs. And your recipe looks yummy. I think green smoothies look yummy and with the right stuff, taste good too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. These sound yummy! I am heading to the grocery store this weekend to stock up on ingredients. Question for any of you: Can you make a large batch and then refrigerate some for later?

    Thanks for posting this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't like the look of it, but I may try it. R.S.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you, everyone. I seriously was surprised how many of you already drink these, or are interested in trying them.

    Sally,

    I love reading Christine's blog, she always has great homemaking ideas to share, and wonderful advice on staying healthy. Hopefully, these smoothies will help shed some of the pregnancy pounds (I'm 8 lbs above my pre-pregnancy weight, but I really need to lose more than just that).

    Heather,

    there are no "chunks", but it is very thick, like a smoothie from Jamba Juice. Definitely smooth, though.

    Christine,

    very convenient indeed! Perfect for busy mornings (i.e., every morning).

    Jessica,

    thank you for the tip with the carrots. I had actually been wondering about that. Thank you also for recommending coconut milk. I didn't have pineapple in the house, so today I combined banana, strawberries, blueberries, apple, spinach, and coconut milk today - it was super creamy and sweet.

    Spooky,

    I would be interested to hear other readers' opinions on this matter. I have refrigerated leftovers a couple of times, but always made sure to use them the same day. You have to stir the smoothie before drinking. The color might change slightly, but I have not noticed a difference in taste. Some of the nutrients probably get lost after being blended and then stored, but I'm not sure.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well, my 1,2 and 3 year olds "wike dis smoovie". :p

    ReplyDelete
  16. Do you mind sharing a weekly menu sometime? Im very curious as to how your meals shape up (calories, nutrition, etc.) I've been very interested in nutrition lately and the green smoothies sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's been awhile since I had one, but they are great! I used to mix 2 oranges, 2 bananas, a couple cups of spinach, and water. It helped me lose weight too and was delicious. Someday I'll get back to it. It's been hard to keep up with the ingredients.

    ReplyDelete

Your KINDLY WORDED, constructive comments are welcome, whether or not they express a differing opinion. All others will be deleted without second thought.