Sunday, December 26, 2010

Our Christmas

We had a quiet Christmas. I started coming down with a bad cold midday on Christmas Eve, the first telltale sign being a very sore throat. I have had the misfortune of having my tonsils removed when I was 11 years old, too young to have had a say about these matters (not like I would have known anything about the issue at that age). The reason why they were taken out was because I often got sore throats. For good measure, they also removed my adenoids at that time for no reason whatsoever, other than the fact that it helped the surgeon make his car payments that month. Now, instead of just my tonsils becoming sore, my whole entire throat gets sore. It takes so much longer to recover from. It's kind of like going to the doctor with recurring headaches, and the treatment he suggests is to have your head removed. Never mind trying to find the underlying cause of the infection... Tonsils are actually part of the lymphatic system. Just like swollen lymph nodes are a sign of illness, and not the illness itself, swollen, sore tonsils mean that the body is fighting some kind of bug. Simply removing them does nothing to fix the problem. It's like busting out the "maintenance required" light in my van instead of getting the oil changed and resetting the light. Anyway, I'm way off on a tangent here.

We opened presents that afternoon. The kids played while my husband made the customary hot dogs, and we all went to bed early. By Christmas Day, I woke up with all the symptoms of a severe sinus infection. With some help from the rest of the family, I was still able to make the ham dinner. Unfortunately, I was losing my sense of smell and taste at this point. For all I knew, I might as well have been eating shoe leather, since I could not taste hardly at all. Worst of all, even though only one of the other kids had caught a much milder version of this cold earlier in the week, baby Anna started stuffing up yesterday, too. Thankfully, not badly enough to hinder her nursing, but the extra mucous does seem to make her throw up more. Also, she wants to nurse and nurse for comfort, to the point where she gets so full of milk she throws up even more. It is so sad to listen to her snore through her clogged little nostrils. :(

Today, I felt awful upon waking, and stayed in bed late while my husband fed and dressed the kids. I felt better once I got up, and my sore throat is gone now, along with my voice. Still no sense of taste or smell at all - it is so weird and boring. My face and upper jaw hurt from the sinus infection, but at least no more headaches, either. My ears also feel plugged up, so it's hard for me to hear clearly (not necessarily a bad thing). 

Okay, enough whining. I sound like a big baby. Please do pray for Anna, though. She seems to not mind her stuffy nose, but I just feel so bad for her. She is sleeping soundly right now, which I'm sure is doing her a world of good. Thankfully, the lemons on our tree are ripe now. I have juiced probably a dozen of them in the last few days, and enjoyed the juice in some warm water, or with honey, which seems to be helping a lot. 

There is so much to be thankful for. We still had a very nice Christmas. Anna, of course, was my favorite gift this year. My husband and I had agreed not to spend money on each other. He recorded Miriam's voice to change the directions on my GPS unit to hers, and it is so cute! It took him hours to do, but I'm sure I will enjoy it more and more as she gets older. I gave him some homemade truffles. Solomon bought me a very nice recipe binder out of his own money, and wrote a sweet love note inside the back cover. Isaac put together a little box with things for me and the baby, like a little hat, hair pins, etc. My favorite part of that gift was the crazy way he wrapped it!

My husband's younger sister and her husband also came to visit with us today. We exchanged gifts with them, and since we outnumber them 8 to 2, we really made out! :) It was a lot of fun getting to spend time with them.


Here is a photo I took on Christmas Eve, right before the kids unwrapped their presents. If you click on it, and then click on it again, you can see it much larger.



Did you notice Becky's black eye? She was running into the living room, slipped, and hit her cheek on the coffee table. We put ice on it, but it still gave her a black eye, which she has been proudly showing off. She is such a ham!! It's under her left eye (right side as you look at it).

13 comments:

  1. I can feel for you with the sinus infection, I had a BAD one in October. Ended up with an ear infection also, and the eardrum ruptured, That hurt! I was also on 3 different medications in 5 days to get rid of the infection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been having recurrent sinus infections for over a year now. Using a saline sinus rinse helps (I add either colloidal silver or GSE to it too), taking Pau d'arco and marshmallow root helps too. When I have an infection I take 12 pills of each a day (I hate teas and tinctures). Works really well! If I stay on a maintenance of 2 Pau d'arco a day it helps them not come back as much too, but I am somewhat of a scatter brain of late so...

    Have you ever tried Bumps and Bruises, by Hyland's? I use the tablets and the stick. My kids rarely have bad bruises and the bruises they do get don't last long. If you can't find that exact stuff, you can also use Arnica. I just prefer the B&B. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooof! My daughter got a black eye as well when she ran into my mom's kitchen table!! NO FUN! Becky is SO cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying you get well soon! After my 2nd was born, I seemed to catch one cold after another. It was miserable; I'd get over one for a couple weeks, then start coming down with another... Fortunately, nursing helps the baby's immunity against whatever we come down with, as our bodies fight the virus. The baby got many of those colds, but never very bad.

    Let your family pamper you until you get better!

    - Sally

    ReplyDelete
  5. Addendum to above post: Both Pau d'arco and Marshmallow root are safe to take while pregnant and breastfeeding. And enough gets through to help baby too. Just make sure to drink LOTS of water!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you feel better quickly! Doesn't sound like a lot of fun for Christmas plus with the new baby :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm praying for you and Anna! I like drinking vitamin C drinks when I'm sick, it tends to help :)

    And wow, are your sure my mom and you weren't separated at birth? Lol! She had her tonsils taken out when she was little too and her rants about it sound just like what you wrote. I'm glad you're spreading the word though, because most people don't know much about tonsils.

    God bless you and your family always and forever! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww praying for little Ana! By the way, did you finish the stick puppets?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw, I'm praying for baby Anna! The GPS idea is really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sick over here too. We will be praying for little Anna.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope you start feeling better , I have a cold to and just can't seem to get rid of it . Glad to hear you had a good Christmas .

    ReplyDelete
  12. I feel like I haven't visited your blog in ages. The children have gotten so big!! So happy to see you all are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope Anna is feeling better. Lily has been so stuffy and has had a runny nose for a while. I was wondering if there is anything I could do for that?
    Amy W.

    ReplyDelete

Your KINDLY WORDED, constructive comments are welcome, whether or not they express a differing opinion. All others will be deleted without second thought.