Saturday, November 27, 2010

I made it!

To the Christmas season, that is. 

I was a little worried that I would have the baby before Thanksgiving, which would have messed up our dinner plans. Also, my "things to do before the baby is born" list is getting shorter every day, but not quite finished. My due date is not for another week and a half, and I figure I should be all set by the end of this week. 


We had a wonderful Thanksgiving. This year, I prepared as much as I could the night before, such as peeling the potatoes, making the dough for the pie crusts, prepping all the veggies, making the cheesecake, etc. It really helped make things easier and faster on Thursday, since I was the only one cooking for our family. I also tried a new recipe for dinner rolls, which I found in the Dec./Jan. issue of the Taste of Home magazine. They were FANTASTIC! Definitely a keeper! The kids kept themselves busy playing Legos with Dad, riding their bikes on our street, reading, coloring, making Thanksgiving crafts, and listening to some Patch the Pirate CDs while I was cooking. Then I took a long nap with the girls after our late lunch. When we got up, everyone gorged themselves on dessert ~ pumpkin pie with whipped cream, apple pie with ice cream, cheesecake, and lots of hot chocolate. I am at a point in my pregnancy when I can only eat a couple of bites at a time, so thankfully, I couldn't have overdone the desserts even if I had wanted to.  






Friday, the kids and I just spent a quiet day at home while my husband worked. We didn't want to leave the house and get caught in "Black Friday" shopping - ugh!

Today, we decorated the house for Christmas. I just set up the tree, then my husband and the boys decorated it with lights and ornaments. A couple of the glass ornaments inevitably hit the ground and shattered, but I still think sweeping a couple of times was much less work than decorating the tree. Plus, the kids had a lot of fun doing it. 



 
I am almost done making everyone's advent calendars. There are still several Christmas gifts I am working on, as well as some birthday gifts for John. But all in all, I feel ready and prepared for the arrival of the new baby.

7 comments:

  1. WHAT!? I didn't realize you are so far along. I'm not sure I'm mentally prepared to be an aunt again. Just kidding. I love the girls' skirts! Who made them?

    R.S.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a question about your Advent observance. Do you use a devotional or do you just light the candles? And if you use a devotional, what do you use?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Thanksgiving table is lovely. Would you please post the receipe for the dinner rolls? They look yummy!

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. R.,

    the skirts were originally from The Childrens Place, but I bought them at the thrift store. Someone who donated them must have had two daughters two years apart. :) I actually find matching stuff for them a lot, last week we also got two pairs of matching pink Sketchers sneakers in their sizes.

    Rose,

    I wouldn't say I observe advent, or what the catholics consider that to be, anyway. I make the kids advent calendars because it is a German tradition. They get a small treat every morning, like a countdown to Christmas. I don't ever use any devotionals, we just read the Bible and sing hymns.

    Anonymous,

    here's the link to the recipe:

    http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Easy-Yeast-Rolls?cpi=1&sort=

    I made the following changes: instead of using just all-purpose flour, I used 75% whole wheat (hard white) flour, and 25% all-purpose flour. I also added 1/4 cup of gluten flour to make the dough bake up fluffy in spite of the high whole wheat content.

    I formed the dough into balls, which I set close to each other on a large baking sheet. After rising and baking, the rolls had all baked together, so they had to be pulled apart and were nice and moist on all sides. My new favorite recipe for dinner rolls!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of my favorite Scriptures when I was " with child"(Matthew 1:18) was Psalm 103:1(KJB)-"Bless the Lord, O my soul: and all that is within me, bless his holy name."

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a bountiful feast you prepared! I am a new follower to your blog and have enjoyed having a 'poke around' ;) You and I agree on alot of topics and I have found that very refreshing! I hope that all goes well for you and your imminent arrival!...we are also expecting; due on 30th December!

    May God bless you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's been a few days since a post. Maybe baby has come early? *excited*

    ReplyDelete

Your KINDLY WORDED, constructive comments are welcome, whether or not they express a differing opinion. All others will be deleted without second thought.