Friday, November 12, 2010

Girls' Day Out

Monday, my husband had work to do in Kingman, Arizona, which is about 3 hours drive northwest of us. His job was such that he could bring the three boys along, which was something he had been wanting to do for a while to get some "man time" with them. 

I was glad not just to have the boys off my hands for the day (they are a lot more energetic and wild than the girls!), but also really excited about getting some girl time with my sweet daughters before the baby comes. 

After the guys left early in the morning, the girls and I hopped back into the big master bed and lounged around for another hour, cuddling and dozing. 

When we finally got up and ready, we decided it was high time to take Becky for her first hair cut (actually, just a trim). I have always cut the boys' hair, but would never try doing that on the girls. Since they only get it trimmed once every six months or so, it's a splurge I feel is acceptable. The only problem with that has been that every place I have ever taken Miriam did a terrible job, except for the kids' salon I took her for her first haircut - Lollilocks. They closed their Arizona store shortly after that first hair cut, though, and I had been looking for someplace similar ever since. All other specialty kids' salons I tried offered only movies and computer games as their entertainment/distraction, and were totally overpriced and not even friendly to the children. Regular places like Great Clips did a terrible job on her thin, fine hair.

Well, as it turns out, Lollilocks just came back to Phoenix a couple of months ago! It was just as nice, girly, and child-friendly as it ever was. Since Becky had never had her hair trimmed, and her ends were getting rather feathery, I figured a morning without the boys was the perfect time to take both girls. 


 The "before" shots

Miriam went first. She was determined to be a perfect little angel after I told her what a fit she'd thrown the last time I took her in for her haircut there. She really is so very different now, very sweet and not at all stubborn like she was two years ago. Out of all the kids, she gets into trouble the least.




 
Becky, who is in that same stubborn stage right now that Miriam was in two years ago, also did very well. She was a little unsure what to think of the whole thing, as you can tell by the way she looks in some of the pictures, but overall she really did enjoy it. Especially the lollipop at the end.




 That cut above her left eye is from when her brothers, who had build a seesaw with a piece of 2x6, accidentally hit her in the face with it. Being #5, with 3 big brothers, can be painful.



If you live in the area (or in Colorado), I highly recommend Lollilocks. They have $5 off coupons in the "Kids Celebrate" magazine (On p. 20, you can print it off the computer. They let me use one for each girl). The coupon brings the total cost per child below what it would cost to go to Great Clips, only they are so much better and funner! When they are done with the hair cut, the girls get to pick out how they want their hair styled ~ all very cute, yet quick and easy to duplicate. I have been copying their hairstyles at home, and also want to go to a workshop that they offer for moms and daughters, where they teach some more of their styles.

By the time we got out of there, it was getting close to lunch time. Since there was nothing ready waiting for us at home, and I knew the girls would probably fall asleep on the way home, I figured we'd get lunch out. Since switching to eating all organic at home, we practically never eat out any more at all - maybe once every few months, and even then we only go to places that serve healthy food. Right next to the salon was a "California Pizza Kitchen", which I had never been to but I knew that a lot of people liked it, so I figured it was probably okay. 


As soon as we were seated, Miriam asked me: "Is this food organic?" to which I replied "no", so she said "I'll just have the cake, then!" I really don't think she cared about being healthy at all, but was rather just looking for an excuse to skip straight ahead to dessert. The girls enjoyed themselves and their food, but my meal turned out to be rather dry and off-tasting. The service was so terrible that on the way home I called CPK's 1-800 number and complained, which is only the second time I have ever done that about any restaurant. The food made me feel sick for the rest of the day, too, although restaurant food has a way of doing that to me in general. Needless to say, I won't be going back there again.



When we got home, the girls had, in fact, fallen asleep in the car, so I moved them to their beds for naptime. After they woke up, Miriam asked me do face paints with her. She also wanted me to paint her toe nails, and in the absence of any nail polish, I simply used the face paints on her little toes, too. Which actually worked out nice because it simply washed off the next time she took a bath. We then fixed dinner and baked some cookies for a pregnant lady in our church who had asked me for the recipe because she was craving them. We doubled the batch so there'd be plenty more for when Dad and the boys got home.

The guys didn't get home until the evening because they went hiking for several miles near Williams, Arizona. They were very excited to tell me about their day in detail, and I was glad to have them back home.

In all, it was a great day from start to finish. Days like that make up for all those days where it seems that everything that can go wrong, does go wrong. Having daughters is such a special blessing!!!

9 comments:

  1. Whether or not I agree with all your philosophies, theologies, and/or ideas, one thing I'm very certain of--you've done a magnificent job on your blog, and I look forward to the finished product.

    BTW, your children are adorable, and it is more than obvious, Becky has personality-plus.

    (Although I posted as "Anonymous," my name is Carrie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! I'd love it if there was a place like that here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a blessing you and the girls were to the woman "with child"(Matthew 1:18). I never had nail polish in the house. My daughter, Angela, works in a bank and gets her nails done at those Asian places that have fumes and little idol altars- here on Long Island.(I can't believe people bring their babies in those places). I pray she starts painting her nails herself. Long nails are so germy. So are gyms- PTL she stopped going there. My granddaughters' other grandmothers polish their nails- it teaches them colors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. According to Cathy Burns in her book- Masonic and Occult Symbols-on page 382- the spiral(on the floor in the photo) is an ancient goddess symbol having to do with nature. Spirals are on a lot of toys,etc.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your girls are Adorable and it looks like they enjoyed their haircuts! So fun that you got to enjoy a Girl's Day while your husband enjoyed a Boy Time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I lived in Phoenix for a year when I was 13 and have been a Suns fan ever since.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are absolutely sweet!!! Looks like you ladies had a wonderful girls day out! I LOVE having girl days with my girls :) Just something special about being with your little girls, I love it!
    I cannot wait to see the newest addition to the Anderson family :) I am praying for your labor and delivery! I have a few pregnancies that I pray for as often as the Lord brings them to mind, and I have been praying for you and others a lot lately, and will continue, all of your due dates are very close together!
    Oh, and I have not updated my blog for a while, but I AM working on getting something together for bows and stuff, will let you know when I have that all finished!
    Lots of love!
    Nicole

    ReplyDelete

Your KINDLY WORDED, constructive comments are welcome, whether or not they express a differing opinion. All others will be deleted without second thought.