Saturday, October 30, 2010

Today's to-do list

- bake corn muffins for chili cook-off at church tomorrow
- help Solomon make chili 
- make desserts for chili cook-off (apple crisp, apple doughnuts, plum cake)
- cook enchilada lasagna for dinner
- make Southwestern egg rolls to use up leftovers that need to go
- bake bread - 2 batches (5 loaves)
- finish school work w/ kids
- clean out and vacuum van
- clean house
- wash, dry, and put away 3 loads of laundry so I won't have any more to do this weekend

And yes, I am still 34 weeks and 3 days pregnant, i.e. very slow and easily tired. Slow and steady is my motto today. I'm not actually kidding myself into thinking that I will get every last item on my to-do list done, but it's nice to have goals! :) Some things, like the laundry, cooking, and school work, have been going since this morning so we are getting somewhere. The kids also cleaned out the van already, so now I "only" need to take it down to the car wash and then vacuum it (which takes almost an hour, because I haven't done it in weeks and the van is so dirty). 

I am trying to remember back to last weekend, and the peaceful serenity of our hiking trail. 


We started off with a picnic lunch at the trailhead.



The kids started digging around in the creek bed (which was dry in this spot). Solomon found a piece of petrified wood and was very excited about that. He put it in his backpack, but when we got home and he wanted to put it in his rock collection, it was gone. Understandably, he was sad about that, and I prayed that it would turn up. My hope was that it had fallen out in the van, rather than on the hike, although finding something in the van wouldn't be much easier than out in the wilderness. Lo and behold, a few days later, I found the petrified wood in the van on the floor! Solomon was thrilled.


This rickety metal "bridge" was there to cross a barbed-wire fence. Every pregnant woman's dream come true!


Becky playing in the creek. She got her shoes and socks all wet, and was not too happy about that on the hike back to the car (about a half hour's walk away). 




Did I mention it's still hot around here? I think we are in the low 90s today. Which is much cooler than it has been, but still... too hot for baking and cooking all day. 

Well, my short break is over. Back to work I go.

P.S. My wonderful friend from church just called and said that she will come over later today and help me get all the stuff for the chili cook-off ready! I don't know what I would do without her help with these church activities!

5 comments:

  1. Where were you guys in those photos? Was it Sedona? Wherever it was, I want to go there soon!! :)

    Question for your next Q&A - How do you start little ones off with homeschooling, i.e. what age do you start and what subjects do you cover, in what method?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the photo of the children n the bridge. We were in Az last year in a place that looks very similar to that. We were just outside of Sedona at a missionary guest home. Lovely days are remembered.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great Sunday! Pastor's preaching, chili cook-off and good fellowship. Wish you didn't live in Tempe!
    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 90 degrees! Do you miss the seasons?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Diana,

    actually, it was much closer, just about 10 miles NE of Cave Creek out in the middle of nowhere. If you like, I'll email you the details.

    ReplyDelete

Your KINDLY WORDED, constructive comments are welcome, whether or not they express a differing opinion. All others will be deleted without second thought.