Saturday, August 14, 2010

Help!



For some time now (as in, over a year), I have been wanting to overhaul my blog. There are several reasons why.

  • For one, I would like to move to my own domain rather than having to include ".blogspot" in my URL.
  • Secondly, I want to divide my blog posts into several tabs that are each dedicated to their own topic, to make it easier to go back and read old posts on certain subjects (i.e. recipes, homeschooling, etc.). Along with this, I want to come up with a better way to catalog, archive, and access old posts.
  • Also, a more personal design/header than the generic Blogger layout would be nice.
  • Lastly, giving my blog a facelift is like moving all the furniture around in my house - it's just something I want to do to change things up.

So, in my head, I know exactly what I want. There are only two problems between me and the blog of my dreams.

Problem #1 - I don't know the first thing about web design.

Problem #2 - Every person I have tried to hire in the past initially expressed great interest, understood exactly what I wanted, and then dropped off the face of the earth. Since they were all very capable web designers, I have concluded that they don't like the content on my blog. Please wait while I go cry for a while. (right...)

Anyhow, I know that I have many talented and capable readers. Yes, I know there are also a lot of dim-whit lurkers who hate me, my husband, my kids, and probably everyone I ever come into contact with. BUT I know that I have a lot of readers who enjoy my blog, so I thought that maybe one of them would be able and interested in helping me with this project. I think it would be for the general betterment of the blogosphere!! Maybe I'll even get invited to speak at BlogHer or the Today Show! Maybe a big Fortune 500 company will beg me to put their ad on my website! Oh, I forgot, they don't like people like me.

If you are interested, or can point me in the right direction of who might be, please leave me a comment with your email address. Your comment will not be published.

5 comments:

  1. Since you are just starting out try this site. It is free
    http://www.webs.com/
    You can expand as your needs change to where you can have your custom url for under $9.00/month. They have forum help etc.
    Also has numerous templates to chose from. What you learn here will help you no matter what you decide to do.
    You may be surprised how easy it will be. Email me with any questions. God's warm blessings.
    p.s I absolutely love that picture
    of your 5 children in the train yard. Packing a pooh bear is classic. What a true blessing they must be for you. Thanks for posting it.
    Dennis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dreamhost.com has a feature that incorporates Wordpress.com and takes care of the layout for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I suggest building your website with Mozilla's SeaMonkey. It's a WYSIWYG editor, which will make it super quick. You can preview in you web browser. Uploading to your webspace is easy as well. Mozilla is VERY good about releasing updates and having stable software.

    Did I mention that all Mozilla software is free?

    You would have to buy your own webspace though. Someone mentioned Dreamhost. My brother used it for many years and never had an issue or said anything negative about it. It's something like $10 a year.

    You might also check into what your ISP may already provide. I didn't know that our ISP gives something like 20 MB webspace included. If you uploaded your images to another service, say Picasa, then embedded them, that would be plenty of webspace

    Hope you find what you're looking for!!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. One web design that I really like is Flibby Pie Design:http://www.flibbypiedesign.net/ She is pretty reasonable too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You probably want to look at transferring everything to WordPress (self hosted) like Jessica mentioned. I use Dreamhost and they've been pretty good.

    Sorry, I don't really have time to take on a project like this, but if you'd like to take a look at my blog and have any questions I'd be glad to give any pointers that I could.
    - Michael

    ReplyDelete

Your KINDLY WORDED, constructive comments are welcome, whether or not they express a differing opinion. All others will be deleted without second thought.