Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Tired

I'm so very tired tonight. My day started when I woke up around 5 am after a short night, because that's when it gets light around here. At about half past eight, Solomon and I headed out to his piano lesson, which kept me out until mid-morning. I was already starting to get tired at this point, and tried lying down for a quick nap. The kids were being very boisterous, though, which seems to have been a pattern this week. Not sure if it has to do with them going camping last week, but I'll blame it on that and chalk it up as another reason why I don't like camping.

I did what I always do when they won't be content to play nicely - I proceeded to assign chores. Only, when I took one look inside their bedrooms, I became so upset at the condition they were in that I gave up the idea of napping, and instead armed myself with lots of garbage bags and the vacuum. The boys helped me all the rest of the morning and the whole afternoon, and by the end of it both boys' bedrooms were spotlessly clean, closets and all, but I had moved about 95% of their toys out.

Basically, all I left in Isaac and John's room was a bookshelf with some books, their bunk bed, and the hutch where they keep their jammies. Solomon was allowed to keep a little bit of extra stuff in his room, just because he is pretty good about keeping it nice as long as I keep reminding him. The rest of their stuff is being stored in the shed (to be pulled out individually as a treat, i.e. "You may play with the train set today"), or being sold or donated.

Because dealing with all this left me with no time or inclination to cook, the kids ate cereal for lunch, and I bought some pizza at Whole Foods on the way to church for dinner.

Of course, the girls made sure to trash every other room in the house during the time that I was working on their brothers' rooms. I wonder what mess they will get into while I am cleaning those other rooms tomorrow. It can be frustrating sometimes. Trying to keep a house with 5 children in it tidy, I often feel like I am trying to carry water in a sieve.

We stayed at church late, and now that everyone is tucked in for the night, I still have so much to get done. Falling asleep at the computer is not one of those things.

6 comments:

  1. We never kept toys in the bedrooms and we never had a basement. We had 4 sons and 2 daughters- a boys' room and a girls' room. The two youngest still live at home and our youngest homeschools. We have grandchildren but limit the toys(I watch two granddaughters)- I just ordered a book from answersingenesis.org- The Gospel According to Disney.- Taryn

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's the pregnancy. I'm unusually tired now too. And yesterday I had the same inclination you did. I wanted to go to bed, but I passed their bedrooms on my way to my room-big mistake. I came back with trash bags and did the exact same thing. All the toys are gone, in the closet under lock and key. They are now allowed their easter basket with 5 or 6 toys in it and that's it. I felt more rested after that, just seeing the mess gone. Where do they get these toys? I don't buy them. Anyway great minds, must think alike. Hope you get rest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel ya!!! It is hard and exhausting. Keep up the good work! You are such a good mother and one day we are going to look back at this madness and have good laughs!!! Be blessed and hope you feel energized soon!
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  4. amen, sister!!! I also have five children in the house, and it is a never-ending battle, isn't it? I like hearing about your good days, but I also like hearing about your frustrating days, also! Sometimes I look at you and wonder, "How in the world does she do it all???" I like hearing that it is overwhelming at times! I know I fight to keep the house clean, ( I love cleanliness and order!) but if I let it 'slide' for 24 hours, I am done for! So yes, I know what you are feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I almost laughed as I read this because I'm looking at the mess in my boys' room that needs to be overhauled! But I cried instead!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thought I'd chime in there for the book in the first comment The Gospel According to Disney. I bought it at the Creation Museum a few years ago and I highly recommend it. We don't really do any Disney stuff here anyway so I sort of hesitated to buy it, but I'm glad I did. It's amazing (and disgusting) once you look at Disney as a whole and documented.

    ReplyDelete

Your KINDLY WORDED, constructive comments are welcome, whether or not they express a differing opinion. All others will be deleted without second thought.