Monday, June 21, 2010

One of THOSE days

Being a stay-at-home mom to five kids (and pregnant), there are good days, there are bad days, and there are those days. Today has been one of those days.

I think it really started last night when, after a busy Sunday, I stayed up until 11 pm just finishing my daily "must do" chores (as in, cleaning the kitchen, sweeping, rebooting the laundry, picking up the house, etc.).

Oh yeah, I did fix one of toilets last night because it was bugging me and I didn't want to wait for my husband to do it himself later this week. It wasn't broken, it was just rendered useless by the improper use of this toilet by three young boys. If you don't have little boys, you may just want to skip the rest of this paragraph. My guess is that they must do everything else but aim while they are using the bathroom. No surprise there. But there comes a point (usually in the summer, when temps are high, especially in this particular bathroom that gets full sun all day long) when no amount of cleaning, scrubbing, or bleach will take care of the smell. That's when it's time to unscrew the toilet, take it off where it sits on the ground, and clean UNDER it from the messes that have seeped in there and are causing the stink. It's even more fun doing it at night after an already busy day...

Anyway, after I got done with all that and the chores, I got a second wind and stayed up past midnight reading. Bad idea.

Getting up this morning after little more than 6 hours of sleep did not agree with my pregnant body. That, combined with the fact that the kids were being really silly and loud today, made for one stressful day. It was just one thing after another all day long. Bedtime could not come soon enough!

In the evening, as an alternative to going crazy, I decided to go to the thrift store with the kids instead. I found a couple of really nice maternity skirts, a maternity dress, and two maternity tops. It was a miracle! These days, finding maternity skirts that are of a modest length is almost impossible, as is finding a top that is not low-cut. I have yet to understand why clothes for pregnant women are so much more immodest than ladies' clothes in general are.

For dinner, I had made roast beef, potatoes au gratin, and braised kale. The kids all made faces about the kale to each other, and I heard them whispering and calling it "stale kale". But they ate it, and didn't even complain to me, so that was nice. John was the only one who loved it and asked for seconds; it really agreed with his zeal for eating healthy. Of course this is the same child who likes to eat raw garlic cloves because of the health benefits of garlic (I don't do that!). I loved the kale, too. It's healthy for anyone, but I would especially recommend it to pregnant ladies who need the B (and other) vitamins that leafy greens offer. My husband ate it with a smile, but when I asked him what he honestly thought of it he said that "obviously it was disgusting". I guess that's what growing up eating veggies out of cans only will do to you...

After bath time, I sent all the kids to bed without story time, which never happens, not even on church nights when we don't get home until past their bedtime. Something had to give tonight. Now I'm off to bed to get rested up for tomorrow and hopefully have a much better day with more energy to put up with busy and demanding little people.

4 comments:

  1. I agree! It is very hard to find modest maternity clothes. That is great that you found so much at one time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry you had such a rough day! I hope tomorrow is better for you. I think maybe the maternity tops being immodest is related to two factors, both to do with the way pregnant women tend to become better, shall we say, endowed. The first thought that comes to mind is that someone with a small chest and someone with a larger chest can wear the same shirt, but it looks more immodest on the one with the larger chest, simply because there is "more to see." The other is that everything is more "stretched out," so even the same shirt worn before pregnancy is tighter, lower cut, etc. Frustrating, though!

    Hope you are feeling better these days (sickness-wise). My hyperemesis was very strange in that I had traditional not-bad-at-all morning sickness through the first trimester (maybe threw up a total of 10 times), but got extremely sick, hospitalized, etc. in the second trimester, throwing up once an hour, keeping nothing down, losing 20 lbs type of sickness until 28 weeks. At 28 weeks it disappeared and I had a blissful third trimester. Isn't pregnancy strange!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh btw I would appreciate you sharing the braised kale recipe. I love kale and all my babies love leafy greens!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love looking at your little girls picture!! She has the sweetestlittle pixie face. So many expressions!! Because of Him Gloria
    Congrats on the new little one to come.
    Happy birthday to Brother Anderson

    And pray for me I am trying to lose weight but would also love to have another little one! thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Your KINDLY WORDED, constructive comments are welcome, whether or not they express a differing opinion. All others will be deleted without second thought.