Monday, May 17, 2010

A rare day of R&R

This morning, I woke up unusually worn out and kind of dreading the rest of this week. We have been doing a lot of spring cleaning around here these last couple of weeks, which not only made me sick, but also very tired. My husband is going to be working a lot this whole next week, so he will not be able to help me virtually at all. He was home most of today, though, and I really wanted to get out of the house and get a break from my daily tasks.

So shortly after noon, after I had fed the family lunch and put the two girls down for their naps, I took off. I had a light lunch at a sandwich shop, and lucky for me, they had tomato soup, which is what I had been craving for days. Afterward I got a large iced tea at a coffee shop and headed for a matinee viewing of "Babies".

I am not usually one to go to the movies, because I refuse to watch the garbage put out by Hollywood. In the last 10 years, I have only been to the theater twice (the other time was to watch "Food Inc."). I liked "Babies", although I definitely think it is for ladies only - there is a lot of al fresco breastfeeding going on the whole time. The documentary has no narrative or story line, no subtitles. It is simply footage from following four babies from birth until their first birthday. There is one baby from Mongolia, one from Japan, one from Namibia, and one from the USA. It was interesting to see how much alike parents and babies the world over are. It was funny to hear a mother scolding her child in another language that I do not understand, yet it was entirely clear what she must have been saying. Babies everywhere fuss, make messes, and keep their parents on their toes. And they are all adorably cute, bring smiles to everyone around them, and explore the world in the same way. One of my favorite scenes was the Mongolian baby having a piece of white bacon fat popped in its mouth for a pacifier, with a matchstick stuck through it as a "stopper". In fact, I think I liked the Mongolian family the best of all four featured families.

After that, I went to a paint-your-own-pottery studio. At first, I could not decide what to make or how to paint it, but once I got started, it was hard to stop. I spent over three hours decorating a big huge cookie jar. It won't be glazed and ready until Thursday afternoon, and I can't wait to see how it turned out. As it so happened, the studio has a special promotion on Mondays that if you spend $50, they give you $15 off. My studio fee and the cookie jar came out to be $43, so I bought an ice cream bowl for $8 to paint another day to put me over the limit and bring my total down to $36. Then the lady gave me a coupon for a free studio fee, so now I can come back and paint the ice-cream bowl for totally free another day! I think $36 for both items and hours and hours of relaxing creativity is a great deal!

On the way home, I stopped for some groceries at Whole Foods. I was kind of famished at this point and wound up buying too much yummy stuff, amongst which were the tastiest rotisserie chicken and absolutely delicious red grapes, better than any I have had in many years. I am still suffering from horrible morning sickness, so finding foods that sit well with me is really hard right now. These totally hit the spot.

By the time I got home, it was almost 7. I watched the kids ride their bikes on our street while I was sitting in the front yard reading and munching. When they went to bed, my husband went go-kart racing with a few other guys from our church, so the house is totally quiet now. I only have to do a quick clean-up, and then hopefully I can squeeze in a bath and some reading time before going to bed.

Days like this are a very, very rare treat. I SO enjoyed it, and really needed it. Now I feel ready for the rest of the week. Hope you're off to a good start this week, too!

5 comments:

  1. Yours was an interesting relaxation choice. Most women typically decide for spas, massage or hair & makeup salons, but you opted for a pottery studio instead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear you had such a great day! Praying your morning sickness leaves quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a really fun day! Glad you were able to have some alone time...always a welcome thing with me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hello!

    I read about the death wish for your baby. How awful! it is good to hear you are still optimistic. I know a lot has gone on concerning your husband, (I am only vaguely familiar) but God is faithful I am so thankful He is as sovereign as He is good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So nice you had a relaxing day to yourself. What a treat. I hope you feel better soon!!

    JEssica

    ReplyDelete

Your KINDLY WORDED, constructive comments are welcome, whether or not they express a differing opinion. All others will be deleted without second thought.