Thursday, May 20, 2010

My Cookie Jar

I know that since my last post, you all have been waiting to see that wonderful cookie jar I made. Okay, so maybe not, but I for one could hardly wait until it was ready to be picked up this afternoon. It is impossible to predict how a piece will look until it's glazed and burned, which is what makes the colors and other effects come out.

I was not following any sample or pattern at all. At first, it took me almost a half hour to find a piece I wanted to paint, and to get some basic ideas of what to put on it. But once I started, I kept getting more and more ideas, until it all came together like this. It's amazing how my brain will start working when I don't have five little voices bombarding me from all sides!

So here it is...


A close-up of the "Cookies" across the front. I was trying to incorporate cookies into the letters.


The jar lid says "Just One More...". I also tried to paint the knob to look like a cookie.


The inside of the jar.


The back. All the cookies on this jar are outlined in puffy black paint, which is also what I used to make the "chocolate chips" in the cookies. It really adds a neat effect.


Across the bottom of the jar, I wrote: "A broken cookie...


... doesn't have ...


... any calories!"


Of course, it would not have been complete if we hadn't also baked cookies today. They did not really come out as dark as the picture is making them out to be. These are oatmeal peanut butter cookies with chocolate chips and walnuts. Personally, I find cookies much too sweet, but the kids each had a couple of them with a glass of milk during story time tonight. Then they were all saying how they are getting up early tomorrow morning to be the first to raid the jar for breakfast... eek! Let's hope not!!!


I really, really hope this jar lasts a while and does not end up shattered on the tile, like every other pottery project I have ever made...

13 comments:

  1. LOVE the cookie jar! You're very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that is CUTE!!! :D Good job! I hope it lasts a while, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cookie jar came out great, very creative! I love the 'Time to Bake' at the bottom. How did you get your hand in there to do that and still be able to see what you were doing?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do too. The recipes call for so much sugar and then add in other sweet things like raisins and chocolate chips. I started reducing the sweeteners by 1/2 and no one even noticed. Saves money and makes them a tad bit healthier.

    My friend made blueberry muffins the other day and forgot to add the honey. They were so good, the sweet blueberries were enough to make the muffins delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That really is very cute...I had to look up pottery places here in St Louis and there are plenty. I may have to do something like this!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I use to do this sort of thing with my mom when I was little. It was so much fun. I wish we still had a pottery shop around here, but sadly they are all closed now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh it looks soooo adoreable!! Great job and hope it doesn't break too soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the jar:)...and th eno calorie line at the bottom:)
    What fun getting out to do creative things!! Sometimes moms need a break too:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you're so sick, how could you stand the smell of the paint?

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so precious. I just LOVE it! You did a great job.

    And do people really have to flame you about everything (referring to the first comment)? What is controversial about a cookie jar?! LOL

    ReplyDelete

Your KINDLY WORDED, constructive comments are welcome, whether or not they express a differing opinion. All others will be deleted without second thought.