Saturday, May 1, 2010

The Blessing of Daughters

I can honestly say that I love each and every single one of our children equally, and that this love for them is unique, just as their personalities are. There definitely is not one child that stands out as my favorite - they are all my favorites!

Yet, there is such a special blessing in having a daughter, and much more in having two. Little girls are such a joy to me as a mother. I connect with my sweeties in ways that the boys just cannot relate, and they probably feel the same way about their Dad.

I think if I only had sons and no daughters I would have missed out on one of the sweetest blessings that life has to offer. It's hard to explain, but there is a bond between me and my daughters that is just between "girls only".

Today was our church's annual Mother-Daughter Tea party. It's hard to believe I now have two sweet little angels to take along, one more pretty than the other. Becky still has more of a cute baby look, with her doll face and porcelain skin, whereas with Miriam I am starting to see what she will look like as an adult. I literally never once look at her without being taken aback by how beautiful she is. But more than that, they are beautiful on the inside.

I love my daughters. I hope God in His grace will bless me with many more.

Outside the tea house

Miriam


Becky


Miriam was fascinated by the sugar cubes, something she had never seen before.


She loved using the little silver tongs...


... and drank cup after cup of tea, just so she could keep putting the sugar cubes in her cup with the tongs. She also offered to put sugar in the cups of everyone else at our table.


Becky was so cute, just like a little lady.


Miriam in thought.


Me and the girls.


Becky loved the Devonshire cream.

Can you see her tongue?!?


Miriam was a little more sophisticated.




Group photo

16 comments:

  1. Adorable - I love the group picture - you all look like such beautiful ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will agree daughters are a blessing! Your two girls are just beautiful. Glad you had a fun day at tea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwww, how special. Looks like a great time. Daughters are wonderful. Maybe I will get another one? Wish Gracie and I could have come!!! Blessings
    jessica

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your daughters are precious! What a sweet activity -- and a great way to spend time with them.

    Many blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww, very cute. It seems like you had a fun day at tea. :)

    Your daughters are also very lucky to have their mother in their life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww...your little ladies are darling!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I got to go to a little tea house with a very close friend of mine whose husband pastors in Cincinnati. Unfortunately, it was before we had been given any daughters, so I didn't have one to share it with. But I completely love the whole tea house idea...but them I'm a tea lover!

    And yes, all of you look like you had a great time! Nothing says fun like fellowship in the Lord. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your daughters are adorable and Miriam looks just like you!

    in His peace,
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  9. You and I disagree on 99% of the things you write on your blog, but one area in which I agree with you: Your children are just beautiful, and I love to read about the activities you do with them. They're blessed to have a mom who invests so much time in their wellbeing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Setting my disagreements with you aside, I love the pics - especially the one with Becky licking her plate!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What precious pictures of you and your daughters looking lovely at tea time! And Miss Miriam and the sugar cubes--how funny!

    There was a recent Time magazine article that included a photograph of a family with 13 children--each and every a boy! Oh, how she must have sometimes wished to brush long hair or make a dress with pink fabric and frilly lace. Mothers and daughters have such a special bond, don't they?

    Also, I want to give you a belated congratulations on your pregnancy and a thank you for answering my question. God bless!

    Patricia

    (You may want to read the article, as its about 'The Pill' and its effect on society: http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1983712-1,00.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. You and I probably disagree with about 90% of the things on your blog; however, that doesn't stop my heart from melting and a big smile crossing my face when I see the pics you've posted of your kids. They are absolutely adorable! My favorite so far is of little Becky licking her plate. That made me laugh at the sheer cuteness! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Zsuzsanna,
    Your girls are darling. I have 3 boys and 1 girl so I know what you mean about the bond with a daughter.
    On a different subject...I was looking at the National Bible Bee website and surprise, surprise, they use the NIV Bible. So irritating. I'd love to email privately, is there a way I can do that?
    Blessings,
    Kerri

    ReplyDelete
  14. I disagree with much of what you say, but one of the things I love is that you seem to really enjoy your children and appreciate them for who they are as individuals. I like how you don't stress about when they're messy or licking their plates or putting sugar cubes in others' tea cups. Sometimes as Christian mothers, we get hung up on "training up a child" to the point where we don't let them just be children learning and enjoying life in their own way at their own developmental age.

    - Sally

    ReplyDelete
  15. That looked like so much fun! I wish I could have gone with my mom :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi~ was wondering if you could answer my homeschooling questions I left on another post?Thank you

    ReplyDelete

Your KINDLY WORDED, constructive comments are welcome, whether or not they express a differing opinion. All others will be deleted without second thought.